Golf: General Chat

villarule123

It's a shame that they made the course so long now. It gives such an advantage to the blasters that it's not really a level playing field. Bubba could easily win 4 or 5 masters given that he is a big hitter and left handed.

• Like 2

Aye, but if they made it shorter players like Bubba could still reach the greens in less shots.

Err no they couldn't. It's not possible to reach a par five in one shot, or drive one of Augusta's par fours. If they shortened up some of the long par fours/threes it would mean that shorter hitters could take more lofted clubs into the greens and have a chance of actually stopping the ball. The big hitters would still have an advantage of being able to use wedges/low irons but not the huge gap there is now. E.g. the 248 yard par three 4th is ridiculous. Bubba was probably on ly player in the field who could get the ball anywhere near the hole.

I really don't like Bubba.

I have no idea why, it's completely irrational.

It's not really, by all accounts he's a complete word removed.

I thought Bubba was thought of very highly by the whole golfing world until he was a right word removed to his caddy that one time last year?

I still like him.

I really like his ridiculous style. Obscene swing pattern.

I thought Bubba was thought of very highly by the whole golfing world until he was a right word removed to his caddy that one time last year?

I still like him.

I really like his ridiculous style. Obscene swing pattern.

Every time I see him swinging at the ball I'm waiting for a shank. As unorthodox as Lee Trevino but both great players.

• 3 weeks later...

In despate attempt to drag my son away from the xbox - I am trying with some success to get him into golf....can anyone recommend a decent budget set of clubs ? - don't want to spend loads in case he gets bored.....he's 14 years old..

Driving range first, its a bit of fun & its cheap

Yeah he's done that - going to book a few lessons - I just thought a shiny new set of clubs would give it a bit of momentum..

How many people on here play golf then? I'm a 14 handicapper and play at Stourbridge Golf Club. Don't be shy

I started last summer and usually get just over 100. My aim for this year is to consistently get under 100 but I'm struggling so far. Never played a sport that frustrates me and gives me enjoyment in equal measure.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Bad news.

Open Championship: Sky wins rights; BBC to show highlights

Sky will broadcast the Open Championship from 2017 after winning exclusive live rights.

The broadcaster has signed a five-year deal to show the oldest of golf's major championships, the R&A announced.

The BBC, which has previously broadcast the tournament live, will now show a two-hour daily highlights package between 20:00 and 22:00.

The BBC will show this year's Open at St Andrews and the 2016 tournament at Royal Troon live on television.

From 2017, the BBC will continue to provide live radio coverage of the tournament on BBC Radio 5 live, and to cover the tournament online.

Director of BBC Sport Barbara Slater said: "We're obviously disappointed that we were unable to retain live TV coverage of The Open Championship.

"However, we're pleased to be continuing our 60-year partnership with the R&A and feel that a comprehensive two-hour highlights programme - a format which has already proven successful - in a prime-time slot over four days will allow us to continue to bring all the best action and key moments from The Open to a large free-to-air audience on TV, radio and online."

Peter Dawson, chief executive of the R&A said: "We have enjoyed a long and successful relationship with the BBC and, although the nature of that relationship is changing from 2017, we are delighted that the BBC will broadcast prime-time highlights and that the Championship will continue to benefit from extensive live coverage on Radio 5 Live and online.

"Importantly, the new agreement will enable us to increase substantially our support for golf in the United Kingdom and Ireland.

"That our increased commitment to golf in both countries is to be supported by both Sky Sports and the BBC is a hugely positive step for our sport."

Â