Golf: General Chat

villarule123

• 1 month later...

A shade gutted. Was on Kuch e/w at 66s.

Fair play to Spieth to finish like that (really took some skill and mental strength) but he was one hell of a lucky bugger to be in that position. Could/should have been 7 or 8 over by the time he walked off the 13th.

Edited by snowychap
7/8 over for the day
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

Fair play to Spieth to finish like that (really took some skill and mental strength) but he was one hell of a lucky bugger to be in that position. Could/should have been 7 or 8 over by the time he walked off the 13th.

Agree totally and although he was lucky at the 13th he certainly took full advantage of it by going birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie on the following four holes.  Under that pressure that is some run.

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Rory must be feeling a bit of frustration. If he'd have took advantage of the conditions on day 3, he'd have won it imo. 

Sums his career up of late. For all that talent he hasn't won a major in years

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Sums his career up of late. For all that talent he hasn't won a major in years

My criticism would be, he doesn't appear to have a 'b' game. He's either utterly majestic or completely 'meh', often in the same round. 

When he's on it, he's still the best by a mile, just seems to be struggling with staying on it when he is. 

Bit harsh though Paul 'hasn't won a major in years' I mean the bloke did win 4 in 3 years and the last two were only 3 years ago! 

• Like 2

For me, McIlroy can be pleased with his week's work. His game has never been suited to links golf, and indeed when he did win the Open in 2014, it was at a very benign, soft Hoylake course where he could take advantage of the course with his driving ability. Last week's Open was much more of a plodder's course, testing the strategy of the players and rewarding high quality approach shots. 

If McIlroy is to break his major 'slump', if you can even call it that, then he has a great chance and is probably the favourite at the PGA Championship next month which is being played at Quail Hollow - arguably his favourite course. He won the Quail Hollow Championship in 2010 by 4 shots, and then won it again in 2015 by 7 shots, setting the course record with a 61. 

Justin Rose, Rickie Fowler, Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson all have good records at Quail Hollow as well - it'll be a great watch, shown live on the BBC after Sky Sports lost the TV rights. 

• Like 3

I think that's why he'll be frustrated though @KJT123

He actually played 'links golf' quite well, he let himself down on the day when the course was effectively a 'diet Quail Hollow'. That round should have been target practice for him and seen him score 63/64. 

The PGA is going to be good. I'd love to see him and Spieth go toe to toe on the final day. Rory's is the better player IMO, but Spieth is the toughest, soft looking lad I've ever seen! 

You have to remember that he effectively gave the field a five shot advantage in the opening six holes of the tournament, and yet he still finished in the top five which is remarkable. 

We'll look back on his back nine on Thursday as the turning point in his season, he could have easily lost his head and missed his third cut in a row. He'll now go into the rest of the season with confidence and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him steamroller the field at the PGA. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

My criticism would be, he doesn't appear to have a 'b' game. He's either utterly majestic or completely 'meh', often in the same round. 

When he's on it, he's still the best by a mile, just seems to be struggling with staying on it when he is. 

Bit harsh though Paul 'hasn't won a major in years' I mean the bloke did win 4 in 3 years and the last two were only 3 years ago! 

Yes I know that but I thought he was going to be a world beater. Theres still time but I fear he will end up like Tony Jacklin

Â