Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

22 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1505780/Newcastle-Saudi-owners-100m-transfer-budget-next-four-years-Premier-League-latest-news

There are some reports in the media that you would just love to be true. The one above it right up there on my Christmas list of 'please be true'. The Toon fans will be gutted, reading their forum they are looking for hundreds of millions to be spent on world class players in Jan and they are already calling Amanda's and PIF's ability as Bruce is still manager and a manager like Conte is not taking charge for the Spurs game 😂

I’d love it to be true, but it does sound a bit like “please don’t over charge us, we’re not as rich as they say we are”.

• Like 1

or it could be they are just an investment company...they bought a £300m football club, they invest a few hundred million, get some level of success which results in some level of growth which means that they can make a return on that investment without spunking a £2bn loss on them to buy the CL, they finish 10th to 7th every year and thats enough to do both the sports wash and the portfolio

unfortunately i dont think that will be the case, for a start there are cheaper clubs than Newcastle that they could have bought, not sure in terms of global fanbase and reach they can quickly and relatively cheaply expand and start to make money, would guess thats easier than say us or everton or leeds

but it would be brilliant if thats all they were, why buy a house in london that you're never going to live in and rent it out for 10 years before selling it at a great return on your investment when you can buy a football club in newcastle...

The worst thing about this whole thing is the way Sky and other media outlets are absolutely gushing at the fact that Newcastle have loads of money and are desperate for crazy speculation and money to be flown about left, right and centre. 

But then, they wonder why the "big" clubs want to **** off and make more money elsewhere (ESL)? Do they not see that it's all the money being thrown about which has broken football in the first place?

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

or it could be they are just an investment company...they bought a £300m football club, they invest a few hundred million, get some level of success which results in some level of growth which means that they can make a return on that investment without spunking a £2bn loss on them to buy the CL, they finish 10th to 7th every year and thats enough to do both the sports wash and the portfolio

unfortunately i dont think that will be the case, for a start there are cheaper clubs than Newcastle that they could have bought, not sure in terms of global fanbase and reach they can quickly and relatively cheaply expand and start to make money, would guess thats easier than say us or everton or leeds

but it would be brilliant if thats all they were, why buy a house in london that you're never going to live in and rent it out for 10 years before selling it at a great return on your investment when you can buy a football club in newcastle...

The bit that has always looked out of place to me with regards to them supposedly spending hundreds and hundreds of millions straight away was that the Reuben brothers were involved too. Whilst they're loaded themselves, they're not going to be looking to spend a fortune as it'll be an investment. Plus, if the SIF was going to splash all this cash why did they need the Reuben brothers? 

The funny thing about it is that the media and the Toon fans have already build the club up as the richest and are expecting a massive spend of money and an elite manager delivering almost immediate success. Most level headed people can see that will not happen. In time, they may be up there but it is not going to be aligned with their fans expectations. Disappointment will set in and the fans won't be happy as the rest of the PL fans are all laughing at them. Getting a big name manager in from Europe could be a disaster as he may not know how to cope with a PL relegation fight and then the possibility of trying to get promotion from the Championship.

There is the potential for some seriously funny entertainment at the expense of the Toon over the coming months and years

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

If they are ludicrously rich and wanted a play thing why didn’t they buy Barcelona? 

Maybe they think Newcastle is a nicer city and able to attract better players. Also, the weather is cooler in the summer, Barcelona can be very hot at times and Las Ramblas has become very touristy with way too many pickpockets. 

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The bit that has always looked out of place to me with regards to them supposedly spending hundreds and hundreds of millions straight away was that the Reuben brothers were involved too. Whilst they're loaded themselves, they're not going to be looking to spend a fortune as it'll be an investment. Plus, if the SIF was going to splash all this cash why did they need the Reuben brothers? 

yep, staveley owns 10% and the reubens own 10%, the saudis pump in £1bn, the value of the assets and the clubs overall value increases to £1.5bn, the reubens 10% jumps from being worth £30m to being worth £150m despite the saudis doing the heavy lifting? hows that make sense

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

If they are ludicrously rich and wanted a play thing why didn’t they buy Barcelona? 

the spanish membership scheme stuff, i dont think you can buy barcelona, or at least not all of it, same as you cant buy a german football club outside of leipzig

i do think newcastle for £300m is a lot though, i dont see the why them thing yet other than ashley being a motivated seller

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

the spanish membership scheme stuff, i dont think you can buy barcelona, or at least not all of it, same as you cant buy a german football club outside of leipzig

i do think newcastle for £300m is a lot though, i dont see the why them thing yet other than ashley being a motivated seller

Yep. Barca is members based, so can’t be bought. I don’t believe this is a rule for Spanish football, though. I think Barca and Real are exceptions, rather than the rule. Unlike Germany. It is a hard rule, there. You couldn’t buy RB Leipzig either, I think. Aren’t they technically appliant with the 50 per cent + 1 rule, just that the club members just happen to also be bery few and all Red Bull top brass? Which is why fans of all but every other club in Germany hate them with a passion and refuse to recognise them as legitimate? So to buy RB Leipzig, you’d basically have to buy Red Bull all together? 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Yep. Barca is members based, so can’t be bought. I don’t believe this is a rule for Spanish football, though. I think Barca and Real are exceptions, rather than the rule. Unlike Germany. It is a hard rule, there. You couldn’t buy RB Leipzig either, I think. Aren’t they technically appliant with the 50 per cent + 1 rule, just that the club members just happen to also be bery few and all Red Bull top brass? Which is why fans of all but every other club in Germany hate them with a passion and refuse to recognise them as legitimate? So to buy RB Leipzig, you’d basically have to buy Red Bull all together? 

Is a few socio Spanish clubs but not all of them. Usually the bigger older clubs that have presidential elections

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is a few socio Spanish clubs but not all of them. Usually the bigger older clubs that have presidential elections

Looked it up. A quick google suggests four out of twenty La Liga clubs are socio based (Athletic and Sociedad?) while the rest are PLCs. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

do think newcastle for £300m is a lot though, i dont see the why them thing yet other than ashley being a motivated seller

Is it a lot? Burnley sold for near £200m. Newcastle has massively bigger fanbase and potential. Sounds relatively cheap to me.

As to why, it ticked many boxes:

1. Willing seller

2. Desperate fans likely to welcome Saudis with open arms

3. Big stadium with big fanbase.

4. Already in Premier League guaranteeing revenue and TV exposure 

5. Not crazily expensive (for example clubs like arsenal are valued at 2-3 billion)

6. Big FFP spending leeway Thanks to Ashley's underspending

I think you would struggle to find another club ticking so many boxes.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In Newcastle.

I think it’s the case that Newcastle has the biggest catchment area and population in the Uk, when you kind of draw a circle around the stadium and up to where it meets the the next league club(s) circle. They have a huge population and area all to themselves, with no other club to compete for fans. It’s one of the reasons for their excellent support. Tyneside alone has around 820,000 people living there and then there’s Northumberland and so on, on top of that…

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think it’s the case that Newcastle has the biggest catchment area and population in the Uk, when you kind of draw a circle around the stadium and up to where it meets the the next league club(s) circle. They have a huge population and area all to themselves, with no other club to compete for fans. It’s one of the reasons for their excellent support. Tyneside alone has around 820,000 people living there and then there’s Northumberland and so on, on top of that…

Id potentially challenge that and say Plymouth Argyle have a larger catchment area. Devon and Cornwall have 1.8m people with Argyle taking by far the lions share (my family are fans and live 55 odd miles away) of the few clubs down there (Exeter and Torquay taking some fans). They also get a lot of fans from Dorset and Somerset too. Why they could get 16,000 fans in League Two without being a recognised big or successful club. 

Off Topic but an interesting discussion and Newcastle certainly do have a large catchment area. 

Edited by Rds1983

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

yep, staveley owns 10% and the reubens own 10%, the saudis pump in £1bn, the value of the assets and the clubs overall value increases to £1.5bn, the reubens 10% jumps from being worth £30m to being worth £150m despite the saudis doing the heavy lifting? hows that make sense

I don't know about football clubs, but in the mining industry when developing a joint venture property, the partners are expected to cough up the proportional share of monies. So if 1 billion is being pumped in, a 10% share holder would be expect to add a 100 million to the pot. Otherwise your share becomes diluted.

10 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I don't know about football clubs, but in the mining industry when developing a joint venture property, the partners are expected to cough up the proportional share of monies. So if 1 billion is being pumped in, a 10% share holder would be expect to add a 100 million to the pot. Otherwise your share becomes diluted.

Yeah that would be completely normal in most industries 

But the wealth of the 3 partners is skewed, Staveley can't front that money for example, it's always been hard to really see why the Saudi's with all this wealth and intention need the other 2

• Like 1

Â