Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

PIF can't match the City deal, that loophole has been closed, the sponsorship must be at market rate. Just an FYI on the buildings and training etc, none of that expenditure counts towards P&S. They can spend a billion this season on training facilities and stadium this season if they want. That is why NSWE have been able to improve Villa's facilities so much in the last few years

What defines "market rate"? The reason Man City got in trouble was they literally put it in writing to the sponsor "lol,we're inflating the value, you just pay x% and we'll make up the rest". If one or more companies independently decide (with no influence from KSA as they aren't involved, obviously) that the fair price  to sponsor St James' Park is £50m a year, who's going to say it isn't? If they're not stupid enough to write down "lol we're dodging FFP", I don't think there's a damn thing UEFA can do short of defining a sponsor cap.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What defines "market rate"? The reason Man City got in trouble was they literally put it in writing to the sponsor "lol,we're inflating the value, you just pay x% and we'll make up the rest". If one or more companies independently decide (with no influence from KSA as they aren't involved, obviously) that the fair price  to sponsor St James' Park is £50m a year, who's going to say it isn't? If they're not stupid enough to write down "lol we're dodging FFP", I don't think there's a damn thing UEFA can do short of defining a sponsor cap.

It is relatively easy to determine the fair market rate for sponsorship. It is compared to other clubs and what they can receive for naming rights and also the amount of TV coverage and the competitions the club participates in. A market price can then be determined as to what an independent company would pay for the sponsorship. Man City didn't get into trouble for inflating the sponsorship rate for the stadium. At the time there was no rule saying that inflated sponsorship rates were not permitted. However, since then the rules have changed to specifically state that the naming rights of the stadium must be at 'fair market rate'

• Like 2

So Bruce has taken training again today at Toon and is this their manager. Toon forums going into a bit of meltdown already and complaining about lack of action from Amanda and PIF. It would be funny if they don't sack Bruce just yet and he gets a few good results to pull them out of relegation. It would then be much more difficult and high risk to sack him before the summer as they really do not want relegation and Bruce just might be the right man to keep them up this season. I would expect PIF would happily keep Bruce if they believe he can retain PL status.

If Bruce does stay up I wouldn't be surprised if we got a bid for SJM in Jan. He is the type of player they need and Bruce does have the relationship with him. At the time he signed for us he said it was because of Bruce and how much he made him feel wanted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Another factor maybe,  convincing players and their families to actually live in Newcastle. 

They can renovate the whole area if they want but it's still got the same people in it.

Not only that but convincing the first half a dozen top quality players to join them is going to be hard even with the money.  The top players can still get the money elsewhere, in a better location and will be fighting for CL and titles now not in a few years.  Mbappe isn’t going to Newcastle with Ciaran Clark in defence.  

Newcastle if successful will have to build their teams in steps, firstly to challenge for Europe then a second stage of building for trophies…this isn’t a short term fix and that’s if they are successful in this project which isn’t guaranteed.

Newcastle are up against bigger teams not letting them have better players, players choosing other teams, their current league position and squad, their location and many other factors.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So Bruce has taken training again today at Toon and is this their manager. Toon forums going into a bit of meltdown already and complaining about lack of action from Amanda and PIF. It would be funny if they don't sack Bruce just yet and he gets a few good results to pull them out of relegation. It would then be much more difficult and high risk to sack him before the summer as they really do not want relegation and Bruce just might be the right man to keep them up this season. I would expect PIF would happily keep Bruce if they believe he can retain PL status.

If Bruce does stay up I wouldn't be surprised if we got a bid for SJM in Jan. He is the type of player they need and Bruce does have the relationship with him. At the time he signed for us he said it was because of Bruce and how much he made him feel wanted. 

I suspect there is zero chance of any of that happening, least of all any player signing in the expectation that Bruce will be manager there for any significant time.  I'd also like to think McGinn is the kind of person to not want to play for the Saudis, assuming he (and many other players) know anything about the regime.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not only that but convincing the first half a dozen top quality players to join them is going to be hard even with the money.  The top players can still get the money elsewhere, in a better location and will be fighting for CL and titles now not in a few years.  Mbappe isn’t going to Newcastle with Ciaran Clark in defence.  

Newcastle if successful will have to build their teams in steps, firstly to challenge for Europe then a second stage of building for trophies…this isn’t a short term fix and that’s if they are successful in this project which isn’t guaranteed.

Newcastle are up against bigger teams not letting them have better players, players choosing other teams, their current league position and squad, their location and many other factors.

thats the main thing

mbappe hits the market next summer on a free and newcastle do go after him on £500k a week...other teams can offer him the same, bigger better teams can offer him slightly less, he's already worth approaching £100m, newcastle cant offer him anything that someone else cant also offer him, he's leaving PSG for something other than money, this idea that grealish or sterling only went to city for the money isn't true, the money comes with everything else

they're then in the market for cast offs, who also cost a lot of money and earn a lot and dont have the fire in their belly, i think its harder to get right than it sounds and there's nothing to suggest that newcastle currently have the infrastructure in place to get it right - again looking at city the cast off that they got right was yaya toure but they had a few before that didnt do that much

which is why them taking their time so far is disappointing 😂

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Mbappe, Pogba, Fati, Dembele, Dybala, Rudiger, Belotti, Tarkowski - all nearing the end of their contracts - and by the time they get there, Newcastle will have the income to support their wages.

I just don’t see the big players going there in the near future.  They’ll want to go to established big clubs who are guaranteed being in the mix.  Mbappe already has his heart on going to Real Madrid for example. It’s going to take time, even with all their money, to build Newcastle up to being the force they want it to be and imo definitely not in the next two windows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Some local politician threw away his season ticket because of Wonga yet wrote to Boris to ask why the Saudi deal was previously called off. Clowns

There's just something about bone saws that's very more-ish.

It's really annoying that we've already played these at home. My hopes now are for some satisfactorily witty banners about the bone saw boys from the rest of the Premier League. Come on football fans. Don't let me down.

23 minutes ago, BOF said:

It's really annoying that we've already played these at home. My hopes now are for some satisfactorily witty banners about the bone saw boys from the rest of the Premier League. Come on football fans. Don't let me down.

Glad we've already played them and took 3 points before a potential new owner/manager bounce.

Edited by Wainy316

51 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think we might see a few from other teams' fans

Â