Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

I don't get this "players won't want to live in Newcastle" stuff. It's a job. And a short term one that will pay them £300k a week.

You realise they won't come back from St James' and go to a local Tesco and for a pint in the town. They are not looking at local schooling or the prices of council tax. 

If the Man City extreme happens at Newcastle, Mbappe will simply live in a mansion in Yorkshire, get a helicopter ride for a bender with Grealish and Pogba in Manchester, and report back for training the next day. 

If Mbappe wants to be in Paris, he gets on a plane at 6pm on Saturday and is back in Newcastle on Monday morning while a pretty lady rubs dolce gabbana all over him. 

Newcastle's location really isn't an issue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Won't that change if they whack a couple of hundred million onto their top line?

I'm still sceptical about this takeover, I think the media are spinning bullshit stories about the wealth to wind up other clubs fans to generate click bait articles like "Newcastle are now the richest club in the world"

I remember the press printing similar sbite when Portsmouth got took over by Ali Al Faraj.... who in the end didn't even exist

Newcastle will be a better club from now on, but throwing money at it does nothing without the right people who spend it

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I don't get this "players won't want to live in Newcastle" stuff. It's a job. And a short term one that will pay them £300k a week.

You realise they won't come back from St James' and go to a local Tesco and for a pint in the town. They are not looking at local schooling or the prices of council tax. 

If the Man City extreme happens at Newcastle, Mbappe will simply live in a mansion in Yorkshire, get a helicopter ride for a bender with Grealish and Pogba in Manchester, and report back for training the next day. 

If Mbappe wants to be in Paris, he gets on a plane at 6pm on Saturday and is back in Newcastle on Monday morning while a pretty lady rubs dolce gabbana all over him. 

Wasn't a problem in the 90s. Ginola came from Paris, Asprilla from Parma and even Les Ferdinand was attracted from London. Also down the road at Boro you had Ravanelli and Juninho in those times.

Just pay them enough and as long as the project is deemed good enough players will sign. North east is pretty nice area aswell even if weather is terrible but no different to Manchester there.

Had to chuckle listening to Talksport earlier, had some pundit on there saying what an amazing coup it would be for Newcastle to sign Lacazette! Guy's scored what 5 goals in last year, 30 and Arsenal would drive him up there tomorrow if they could. Exactly the sort of signing Newcastle shouldn't be making even if it gives them short term boost.

They'll inevitably sign some dubs (as Chelsea and Man. City did in their early seasons) but key for them is to sign 3-4 they can build the club around as Man. City did with likes of Kompany and Zabaleta.

24 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Why would he want to live in Yorkshire 😉

36 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I don’t think living in Newcastle would come into the equation either. It’s actually a great city with, like most parts of the UK, some excellent places to live.

I’d like to think that the bigger dilemma would be whether they’d want to be employed by a club owned by one of the most reprehensible regimes in the world. One that bombs Yemeni children, that stones women to death for adultery, that throws homosexuals from the tops of tall buildings for their ‘crimes’, that murders journalists, that has beheaded 37 people in a single day.

But of course that won’t come into it. Yet those same mercenary players will still take the knee in their battle against inequality and intolerance.

It’s a ****ed world we live in.

Edited by The Moustache of Teale
Forgot to add that they dismember journalists
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

They can always have a training ground  built in London and just go to Newcastle for games.   

They have the money to do this and it's not part of FFP.

But the fans want them to have that day to day Geordie lifestyle 😜

1 hour ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

I don’t think living in Newcastle would come into the equation either. It’s actually a great city with, like most parts of the UK, some excellent places to live.

I’d like to think that the bigger dilemma would be whether they’d want to be employed by a club owned by one of the most reprehensible regimes in the world. One that bombs Yemeni children, that stones women to death for adultery, that throws homosexuals from the tops of tall buildings for their ‘crimes’, that murders journalists, that has beheaded 37 people in a single day.

But of course that won’t come into it. Yet those same mercenary players will still take the knee in their battle against inequality and intolerance.

It’s a ****ed world we live in.

I don’t think the bolded bit will even cross the mind of many footballers. 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

They have had some good players, if you cast your mind back

• Cole
  • Macdonald
  • Shearer
  • Salano
  • Ginola
  • Gascoigne
  • Ferdinand
  • Beardsley
  • Aprilla
  • Albert

just to name a few and Callum Wilson, snubbed us to go there.....Newcastle is a fine city, with good night life....I think we might be clutching at straws.

We just need to focus on ourselves getting it right and let them get on with it.

I would add Milner to that list too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

• Cole
  • Macdonald
  • Shearer
  • Salano
  • Ginola
  • Gascoigne
  • Ferdinand
  • Beardsley
  • Aprilla
  • Albert

just to name a few and Callum Wilson, snubbed us to go there.....Newcastle is a fine city, with good night life....I think we might be clutching at straws.

We just need to focus on ourselves getting it right and let them get on with it.

They had Patrick Kluivert at one point too!

6 hours ago, sne said:

The 25 man squad limit still applies to them, as does the homegrown players thing. They won't be able to completely build a completely new team in January or even next season.

This.

And also, they can't spend money until January - they're stuck with their current shite squad until then. Even without being hampered by Bruce when they inevitably sack him, that squad is not going to get them into a position to challenge for Europe. Regardless of who they sign/appoint, they wont even be in the Europa League next season, never mind the Champions League. This will make it difficult to sign players much better than ours. They'll have an inevitable huge turnover of players, and we have first hand experience of how tough that is, regardless of how good they are.

They're going to improve, obviously, but they arent suddenly the best/only place for top players to sign for. They'll be in a similar market to us, and they'll have a fashionable manager, but they aren't about to spend £500m on Haaland, Mbappe, etc etc - those players want CL football now, they won't take 12-18 months away. They'll have to do it relatively organically.

They're years away from the very top of the game. 

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TRO said:

• Cole
  • Macdonald
  • Shearer
  • Salano
  • Ginola
  • Gascoigne
  • Ferdinand
  • Beardsley
  • Aprilla
  • Albert

At least four of those are from Newcastle to my knowledge and thus don’t count. Of the others, only Tino was a real top player at the time of moving to them. The others made their name at or post Newcastle. The likes of Albert, Ginola, Solano etc were all good but not great players. 

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I’ve heard this a lot, but I don’t get it. For all of everything that they have, the city of Newcastle is their biggest attraction - it’s a great city. 

I’m English and I really like Newcastle. I have close family there and visit a lot. However, I would not fancy living there. The weather is bad. It’s cold. It’s really dark and for a young football player there really isn’t that much to do. It’s a small city, they are football mad and you would be living in a goldfish bowl. If you were a foreign football player, moving to England for the first time your order of priority would likely be London, North West, South Coast, Midlands, everywhere else. 

Â