Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Simon Jordan said since Mike Ashley has run them with profit for years they could easily spend 500 million this summer and not get in trouble with FFP. 

That's a big worry for me. 

That doesn’t sound right - but them being in profit definitely helps the situation 

20 hours ago, sidcow said:

It used to be gut wrenching to me everytime I looked up and saw the Chinese flag fluttering above Villa Park.  Imagine seeing the Saudi flag flying over your ground.  

Shudders. 

Same. Although I think any National flags over the stadium is silly. It’s a football stadium, not a scene of conquest. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

Same. Although I think any National flags over the stadium is silly. It’s a football stadium, not a scene of conquest. 

Pretty sure there’s an Egyptian and US flag on top of the Witton Lane stand. 

• Like 2

The 25 man squad limit still applies to them, as does the homegrown players thing. They won't be able to completely build a completely new team in January or even next season.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

That doesn’t sound right - but them being in profit definitely helps the situation 

Over the last 3 years they are about 20m in profit. You are allowed to make a loss of 105m. So they can spend about 125m. If it was all spent on players on 4 year contracts you amortise over 4 years so you can theoretically spend 500m. However, that does not include wages and then next year they would be screwed and wouldn't be able to spend any money. They should be able to spend 150m a year for the next few years. Similar to Villa but we had the big benefit of selling Jack for 100m which helped us a lot.

But sacking Bruce will cost them 9m apparently and then if they get a high profile manager that could cost them some serious wonga too. It is not going to be the spunkfest of spending that many (Toon fans) believe.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Not worried at all. They'll spend as much as they can, but they won't be able to buy all the players any time soon. Anyone think MBappe wants to live in Newcastle?

He is reportedly fond of newky Brown Ale and a Lindisfarne fan, so you never know.😀

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

They have always struggled to attract top players due to their location. It will be interesting to see if that changes now.

I think it’s quite funny to be honest. Clubs like Spurs who have had all the advantages in recent years are now coming under serious pressure. Newcastle are just as big as Spurs but do not have the geography on their side. This will certainly close the gap.

Poor old Brucie must be looking over his shoulder too!

• Like 1

Actually sickening the mental gymnastics their fan base is going through to justify this.

"They have got human rights issues. Everyone knows that. But we need this. We need it so bad," said a Newcastle fan to AFP. 

"The club, the city, we've been put down loads of times. We're a sleeping giant and it's about time. It's lovely for the club and for the region. Everyone's happy," he added.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Not worried at all. They'll spend as much as they can, but they won't be able to buy all the players any time soon. Anyone think MBappe wants to live in Newcastle?

I am not that worried.....we have had competition before and coped, its all about us and what we do well.

20 billion or 320 billion.....it still trumps anything we can do on paper.

contrastingly, Brentford can't compete with us, but they make up for it in other ways ( more than one way of skinning a cat)

We have to live with it.....The top 4 will be more affected as they are no longer the "sugar daddies".....while they are all scrapping it out for the " Richer than yow" tiltle, we can slip under the radar and make astute signings like Martinez and McGinn,etc....some of our best ever players have bee bargain basement signings, sure its harder now, buts not impossible....they can only play 11 players, even if they had double the wealth.

The Leicesters and Brentfords and hopefully us can still use out talent spotting skills to circumnavigate the block buster deals......The Kante's, Gueye's and Mahrez's will still be out there to be spotted at bargain prices.

We just have a dinosaurs, legs to run under.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, M_Afro said:

They have always struggled to attract top players due to their location. It will be interesting to see if that changes now.

I think it’s quite funny to be honest. Clubs like Spurs who have had all the advantages in recent years are now coming under serious pressure. Newcastle are just as big as Spurs but do not have the geography on their side. This will certainly close the gap.

Poor old Brucie must be looking over his shoulder too!

They have had some good players, if you cast your mind back

• Cole
  • Macdonald
  • Shearer
  • Solano
  • Ginola
  • Gascoigne
  • Ferdinand
  • Beardsley
  • Aprilla
  • Albert

just to name a few and Callum Wilson, snubbed us to go there.....Newcastle is a fine city, with good night life....I think we might be clutching at straws.

We just need to focus on ourselves getting it right and let them get on with it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

They have had some good players, if you cast your mind back

• Cole
  • Macdonald
  • Shearer
  • Salano
  • Ginola
  • Gascoigne
  • Ferdinand
  • Beardsley
  • Aprilla
  • Albert

just to name a few and Callum Wilson, snubbed us to go there.....Newcastle is a fine city, with good night life....I think we might be clutching at straws.

We just need to focus on ourselves getting it right and let them get on with it.

You missed Warren Barton from that list 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I’ve heard this a lot, but I don’t get it. For all of everything that they have, the city of Newcastle is their biggest attraction - it’s a great city. 

• Like 2

Â