Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I've mentioned it in another thread, it was Leicester once, Newcastle and Everton twice apiece in the early 2000's. That's it. Put it another way, since Abramovich took over and changed the game it's only been Leicester once and Spurs sneaking in before FFP.

Name another mega rich club that could afford to spend the amounts required.

I reckon it's us and, now, Newcastle.  Could be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Name another mega rich club that could afford to spend the amounts required.

I reckon it's us and, now, Newcastle.  Could be wrong though.

We are the definitely the ones who could get closest but I don't think we'll ever be able to breach the top 4 imo. Newcastle just might with some creative sponsorship deals. As rich as NSWE are, I don't think they have the unlimited clout the Saudis do unfortunately.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

We are the definitely the ones who could get closest but I don't think we'll ever be able to breach the top 4 imo. Newcastle just might with some creative sponsorship deals. As rich as NSWE are, I don't think they have the unlimited clout the Saudis do unfortunately.

That's pretty pessimistic.  FWIW, I think the gap between the traditional top 6 and the rest is closing and has been for maybe 3 seasons now.  This is mainly due to more spending power from typically lower/mid table teams.  They get more money for players, more from TV deals etc and the top teams reach a point of... I won't call it "stagnation" but they already have very, very good players so strengthening tends to be more "squad based" to enable a push for trophies on all fronts.

Man City signing Grealish is probably a good example of what I'm trying to get at.  They get a very good player to add to a very good squad but the £100m they spent on refining their team won't push them as far further forward as us spending the £100m on our team will (at least in theory).

Man Utd have dropped points so far this season to us, Everton and Southampton - I don't consider them to be a mile ahead of the rest of the league even if their first team is stronger.  Has spending £73m on Sancho made them a much better side?  Personally, I don't think so; even if he improves them a bit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

the worst fan base 

Nah - they're rightfully happy the takeover, even if they don't necessarily agree with the source of the money.

It's a tough one.  Would I stop supporting Villa if we had the same owners that Newcastle do?  Honestly?  Probably not.

I read one of them saying how nice it was seeing them celebrating under the Bobby Robson statue, because it'd have made him so proud. It was news to me, because I never realised Sir Bobby was a word removed. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've already had it with this geordie words removed and they're cries that nobody knows how bad they've had it, because they've sat in the PL for a few years without much ambition. Nobody knows how lads wor fans have had it. They deserve this appalling Saudi porince and shouldn't think too hard about it, because they deserve it after the "hardship" they've suffered.

Maybe these entitled pricks could look 14 miles down the road for a reminder of what a really bad owner looks like. Shirtless Representatives for Wellingborough.

2 trophies in 65 years. Last trophy was 46 years ago. Last league title approaching 100 years ago. But they're a big club that deserve much more than midtable in the PL apparently because they had an exciting couple of years in the 90's.

• Like 2

Just now, Keyblade said:

2 trophies in 65 years. Last trophy was 46 years ago. Last league title approaching 100 years ago. But they're a big club that deserve much more than midtable in the PL apparently because they had an exciting couple of years in the 90's.

The media buy into their fanbase’s hype than they do. 

for years they were a laughing stock with their sob on the tyne. Give Keegan the job etc, they’ve won the lottery to justify a hideous autocracy  

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That's pretty pessimistic.  FWIW, I think the gap between the traditional top 6 and the rest is closing and has been for maybe 3 seasons now.  This is mainly due to more spending power from typically lower/mid table teams.  They get more money for players, more from TV deals etc and the top teams reach a point of... I won't call it "stagnation" but they already have very, very good players so strengthening tends to be more "squad based" to enable a push for trophies on all fronts.

Man City signing Grealish is probably a good example of what I'm trying to get at.  They get a very good player to add to a very good squad but the £100m they spent on refining their team won't push them as far further forward as us spending the £100m on our team will (at least in theory).

Man Utd have dropped points so far this season to us, Everton and Southampton - I don't consider them to be a mile ahead of the rest of the league even if their first team is stronger.  Has spending £73m on Sancho made them a much better side?  Personally, I don't think so; even if he improves them a bit.

We have a slim chance because utd have a shit manager 

We might have a slim chance if city implode post pep

We might have a slight chance if Liverpool lose klopp and don't invest the required money to replace salah

We had a chance when Chelsea had lampard

All being well with those 4 though... We don't have a chance, no where **** near it, if those 4 organise themselves and run themselves like they should we can't touch them, forget it 

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I've been sitting here, reading them talk about how soul crushing it is, and how unambitious Ashley is (it's true), and how terrible Bruce is (yup), and how people can't imagine how awful it is to be a Newcastle fan for the last few years. Then I've been reflecting on those days after we couldn't pay our tax bill and looked days away from going bust. **** off, Geordies.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

We have a slim chance because utd have a shit manager 

We might have a slim chance if city implode post pep

We might have a slight chance if Liverpool lose klopp and don't invest the required money to replace salah

We had a chance when Chelsea had lampard

All being well with those 4 though... We don't have a chance, no where **** near it, if those 4 organise themselves and run themselves like they should we can't touch them, forget it 

Take Man Utd's strongest starting eleven and compare it to ours.  How many players would you have from either side?  We can go with a loose 4-3-3 formation if you like.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I've been sitting here, reading them talk about how soul crushing it is, and how unambitious Ashley is (it's true), and how terrible Bruce is (yup), and how people can't imagine how awful it is to be a Newcastle fan for the last few years. Then I've been reflecting on those days after we couldn't pay our tax bill and looked days away from going bust. **** off, Geordies.

Right?! They spent £40m on trash like Joelinton after all 

Just now, bobzy said:

Take Man Utd's strongest starting eleven and compare it to ours.  How many players would you have from either side?  We can go with a loose 4-3-3 formation if you like.

That's pointless because one of us will end up suggesting that pogba is shit

I'd say martinez over de gea is the only stone cold one for us, everyone else would be tit for tat

Just now, villa4europe said:

That's pointless because one of us will end up suggesting that pogba is shit

I'd say martinez over de gea is the only stone cold one for us, everyone else would be tit for tat

I'd have Pogba in the side.  I reckon I'd take 5 Villa to 6 Man Utd - but the fact you think everyone else would be tit for tat kind of demonstrates that they aren't really "no where **** near" us.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

It’s started already.

“This is how the Newcastle team could like up if they signed a load of players dreamed up by nobody at the club”

Wow, amazing.

Insane isn't it

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Definitely agree that the gap to the top 6 has been closed, but I still think the top 4 is a bridge too far. The league has definitely become stronger but the only way for anyone to finish in the top 4 outside of the traditional is for 1 or more clubs to have bad seasons by their standards.

Last year we were above Chelsea for a good portion of the first half of the season, but you could hardly say we were competing as we all knew it was fleeting. We even took 4 points off them. We were playing at our maximum and them at their lowest. Once a competent manager took over, they finished in the top 4 and won the CL. That's all it takes for these clubs to switch back on. United sack Ole and hire a top manager and suddenly they'll find a way to get the best out of their 73m 20 year old near-world class winger and the rest of their immense squad.

Things start to get bad, and they can throw money at things that we just can't. There will always be some gap. It might be smaller than it used to be, but it's always there and they can always manufacture one if things start to get uncomfortable for them. We missed our opportunity in 2010 unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Â