Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 hour ago, TRO said:

This Amanda Staveley certainly moves in some circles.....I see she has 10% ownership of Newcastle with the Rueben Bros, having the same ....the second richest in the uk with 16 billion and 50% of their wealth in liquid form...wow...some clout that.

I think i've mentioned this before but I had some dealings with Staveley a number of years back (15 or so). She was always very pleasant when we spoke. She's certainly in a better financial position now! 

I think at that time she was dating a Royal, or had been fairly recently. 

Edited by Xela

I think simply saying money can't buy desire and application is also a little bit false, the best players in the world are the best players in the world because they have worked hard to get there and become the best versions of themselves.

For instance I can't imagine CR7 playing anywhere and not giving it everything to win and telling his teammates exactly what he thinks.

Yes not everyone is Ronaldo but for a lot of these guys football is literally the only thing they know nowadays, so their application should(not 100% but a high number) be there.

• Like 2

It'll take a good few years for Newcastle to get near the promised land. Real quality players won't want to go there until they get into Europe. The correct method would be to buy young quality players that improve... but I get the feeling they'll go straight for some 'Robinho' type signings... basically throwing money at mercenary players who don't even know who they are signing for! 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think i've mentioned this before but I had some dealings with Staveley a number of years back (15 or so). She was always very pleasant when we spoke. She's certainly in a better financial position now! 

I think at that time she was dating a Royal, or had been fairly recently. 

my best pal, who has been residing in Dubai for the best part of 30 years, but home now, tells me he met her on numerous occasions.....said "a charming, and very bright lady"...very engaging.

Good luck to them.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

The correct method would be to buy young quality players that improve... but I get the feeling they'll go straight for some 'Robinho' type signings... basically throwing money at mercenary players who don't even know who they are signing for! 

Why would you assume that? Looks like wishful thinking to me.

They are not stupid and will hire clever people to advise them. They would also learned the lessons watching how City and PSG approached it. Their plan will be as good as ours, with added financial and political clout of Saudi state behind it.

I would expect them to have well thought out, long term plan. Looking to break into current top 4 within 5-10 years.

Edited by Czarnikjak

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

It'll take a good few years for Newcastle to get near the promised land. Real quality players won't want to go there until they get into Europe. The correct method would be to buy young quality players that improve... but I get the feeling they'll go straight for some 'Robinho' type signings... basically throwing money at mercenary players who don't even know who they are signing for! 

Of course they would.  Quality players will move if there's progression in their career - be it success-wise or financially.  Last season, Leverkusen finished 6th, qualifying for Europe and their top scorer left to join Aston Villa.  You could very, very easily sub "Aston Villa" for "Newcastle" there in terms of signing quality players.

Sure, they're unlikely to be attracting players from the top clubs just yet - but everyone else?  Absolutely attainable.

January and the summer will tell a lot. 

If they sign Bale, Juventus' Ramsey or other high wage mercenary type players then they'll be a laughing stock for a few years. 

If they get the backroom staff right, like Man City eventually did with Txiki Begiristain then they'll climb and quickly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Why would you assume that? Looks like wishful thinking to me.

They are not stupid and will hire clever people to advise them. They would also learned the lessons watching how City and PSG approached it. Their plan will be as good as ours, with added financial and political clout of Saudi state behind it.

I would expect them to have well thought out, long term plan. Looking to break into current top 4 within 5-10 years.

Maybe but people said similar about QPR and that was a complete disaster. Saudis wont be that bad but no guarantee to get it right straight away 

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe but people said similar about QPR and that was a complete disaster. Saudis wont be that bad but no guarantee to get it right straight away 

Also, look what happened to Malaga 

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No guarantees, we can all agree on that. All I am saying is that the odds are very heavily stacked in their favour and I would be massively surprised if they mess it up.

It's not like they're trailblazers, they can learn from the mistakes City made when they took over.

Edited by Czarnikjak

Also, another good point to note.

The " Investment Fund " is 320 billion, which is for ALL Saudi Investments of the type.

This doesn't mean Newcastle have 320 Billion at their disposal 🤣.

So yes, they are loaded, but the notion that they will be spending all their money on Newcastle is mental 

There will be much bigger and more important investments, Newcastle are just 1 of the drivers for their overall plan.

I would expect them to have Man City level funds though, or slightly more?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Well if they have any sense they will poach Man City for their behind the scenes people.  This will mess them up and then they will mess another club up trying to find replacements and so on.

Hopefully we are under the radar at the moment but you know if we get some success then players will be poached.

First things they do will give us an indication of where things will go.

Â