Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

My gut feeling is that they won’t crack the top 4 consistently. They’ll hop from big money manager to big money manager. And the same for players who will quickly lose interest once the realisation sets in. I’m thinking lots of Michael Owen type transfers.

41 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'll be interesting to see how and when they start. Will Bruce be gone by the next matchday, how quickly will they appoint a CEO (hands off Purslow please), how much work will they have already done in the last twelve months while they're waited for the takeover to go through?

Believe that Purslow actually has $$ invested in the Club (iirc about 10%) so wouldn't think he could leave without some sort of notice/sale

20 minutes ago, Genie said:

My gut feeling is that they won’t crack the top 4 consistently. They’ll hop from big money manager to big money manager. And the same for players who will quickly lose interest once the realisation sets in. I’m thinking lots of Michael Owen type transfers.

They'll probably make some mistakes to start with but will learn quickly.

They are not stupid, and can afford to hire the best people to run the club for them.

To think they'll ballz it up is living in denial.

Impossible to say how long it's gonna take them to displace one of the current top 4, my guess would be within next 5 years.

Edited by Czarnikjak

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Any lingering hope villa.had of getting into the important league places has gone now.

So what's the plan? Hope for 8th at best and keep having to sell your best players to the obscenely rich teams?

It could be a good thing for us, depending on what happens with FFP. If Newcastle play within the constraints of it, then it’s not so good. But if they manage to blow the doors off it… I think we would benefit too. 

Sterling, Bissouma, Ndidi, Lingard, Ricardo, Digne, Calvert Lewin, Raphina and Zaha I could all see heading there. Good premier league players. Even characters like Joe Gomez and Maddison who’s stock has fallen of late could be tempted. Mbappe and Haaland not so much.

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

They'll do lots of things with sponsorship and with income generation.

They're in a position where they can ask companies competing for a billion pound contract to build roads in Saudi Arabia if they might want to consider sponsoring Newcastle's training ground for £10m a year, they're in a position where companies that want to keep Saudi Arabia happy will be falling over themselves to throw money into Newcastle.

I think they'll do it over time rather than immediately, but don't be under any illusions that they're going to make it work - the Premier league is based on the principle that the richest team should win - Newcastle are now the richest team.

Yep. Man United have a sponsors page bursting at the seams. 

Generally they are genuine sponsors who want to be associated with the brand and see value in doing so. 

We would like to do the same but it's hard to persuade Le Chameau that they want to pay Aston Villa a chunk of money to be their official Wellington Boot sponsor because they just won't see the value in it.  It's possible and plausible but you've got to convince them to see the business case. 

Newcastle will have 100 times the sponsorship deals that Man United do.  Nearly all of them won't actually make financial sense to the companies involved but who can prove that some apparently random tablecloth manufacturer doesn't think its worth paying £100k a year to Newcastle to be their official table cloth manufacturer.  Get 100 similar deals and you've suddenly got £10m a year out of nowhere. 

Get 50 sponsors for higher profile things paying £250,000 a year and you've got another £12.5m per year and so on and so on.  It's not just about a fabricated £50m deal to sponsor the training ground.  If you've got the clout, and this lot have almost unlimited clout, you can end up with thousands of genuine sponsors.  No one is going to go to court and challange the validity. 

Then of course they can quadruple the cost of their corporate seats and executive boxes which companies still manage to book and fill out each week. Who's going to question those on the face of it legitimate tickets sold/boxes booked? It's a free market.  We've just put up our prices, is anyone questioning it? 

If you have enough money to splash around there are plenty of ways of getting it into the club by legitimate means, especially if you've got Zero problems with underhanded tactics. 

As someone said earlier if some South American construction firm is looking to build roads in Saudi Arabia, what's to stop them awarding the contract and paying a million or two on top of the agreed price in exchange for some extortionately prices Newcastle seats and a sponsorhip deal to become Newcastles new road building partner.  No one will be able to prove anything or stop them doing it. 

Look forward to their new glassware supplier, flowers partner, Newcastle own brand cola, sofa associate, home furnishings partner TV supplier, Fridge supplier and on and on and on.  Proud to be associated with............. Etc

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

They were profit for 2 of the last 3 seasons, last season was a loss of about 19m. But with Covid help on P&S they will be well in profit for the P&S accounting window and they are allowed 105m loss. They can spend very big if they want

And perhaps that's a big part of why Newcastle - Ashley has made the club attractive to big buyers by giving them enough room to spend on day one, giving them time to find the incomes that will allow them to spend in future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

Because sponsorship has to reflect "market rate", doesn't that automatically increase the potential value of every other team's deals? 

It does, but if say Villa have an energy drink partner but not a tyre partner and Everton have a tyre partner but not an energy drink partner - Newcastle can have both a tyre and an energy drink partner, each of which is for just slightly more than the equivalent at those clubs. The amounts have to be realistic market valuations - if a deal is worth a million pounds a season, you can get a million pounds a season - but there's nothing stopping you making a hundred deals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It does, but if say Villa have an energy drink partner but not a tyre partner and Everton have a tyre partner but not an energy drink partner - Newcastle can have both a tyre and an energy drink partner, each of which is for just slightly more than the equivalent at those clubs. The amounts have to be realistic market valuations - if a deal is worth a million pounds a season, you can get a million pounds a season - but there's nothing stopping you making a hundred deals.

Or a thousand deals. 

You can question 1 deal for stupid money but you can't question 1,000 deals for realistic money. You can be official partners for literally anything that exists. Official sprout supplier. 4 on 1 remote contol supplier, energy switching partner, electronic picture frame sponsor.  It's literally endless if you can engineer the deal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I couldn't quite put my finger on why the uproar was rubbing me the wrong way, as it's absolutely warranted but it's because I feel there is a double standard under all of it. Jokes about 9/11 and such and yet nobody went after the Saudis after that, instead they became allies of all our governments. Even worse, a country (or 5) that had absolutely nothing to with the attacks got absolutely decimated in retaliation. Conservative estimates put it at 1 million Iraqi civilian casualties. Yet I bet if, for example, a Tony Blair Consortium (my new Ska band's name, called it first) took over a club right now there would be very little outrage if any.

• Like 1

Â