Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Their run-in is horrendous. One 6 pointer next week, 1 game against Burnley which I'm not sure is a 6 pointer, 1 must-win game against Sheffield United on the penultimate week and then that final showdown with Fulham. The rest? All games against the current top 10, including us who seem to be their bogey side under Smith. This would be a terrible time for their tried and true luck to desert them.

I don't really want them down, personally. I enjoy the circus and they'll be straight back if they do go. Funnier to watch them moan and complain about being the worst team in the league staying up via bollocks.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 02:02, Rino8 said:

I don't really want them down, personally. I enjoy the circus and they'll be straight back if they do go. Funnier to watch them moan and complain about being the worst team in the league staying up via bollocks.

If Bruce gets the summer window with them and is trusted to pick players it will add a few more years onto them being dreadful.

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

If Bruce gets the summer window with them and is trusted to pick players it will add a few more years onto them being dreadful.

Bruce isn't involved in transfers there. He's head coach only.

10 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

i disagree. the under performers for them this season have been players not signed by bruce i.e joelinton. say what you want about him but he has an eye for a player and seems to be able to attract them too despite offers from elsewhere

they get taken over and given a bit of backing, they'll climb up the table

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Bruce isn't involved in transfers there. He's head coach only.

I know he probably wont get money to chuck at marquee signings like the Joelinton one, but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't involved in signings like Hendrick, Fraser and Wilson. Obviously would have helped to convince the club that 2 were on frees.

It's also about the players that will stay there and not develop and the ones he'd sell. If I was in my early 20s needing to play and develop and saw Jeff Hendrick starting games I would be livid. Don't forget he was reportedly happy to sell Grealish!

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i disagree. the under performers for them this season have been players not signed by bruce i.e joelinton. say what you want about him but he has an eye for a player and seems to be able to attract them too despite offers from elsewhere

they get taken over and given a bit of backing, they'll climb up the table

Wait, you think Jeff Hendrick, Jamal Lewis and Ryan Fraser have been good for them?

Wilson is the only 'Bruce signing' to do alright this season. Almiron has probably been their best player, albeit woefully misused.

"Underperforming" suggests playing below their level. Isn't that kinda the managers' remit to work on?

Do you have any examples of his eye for a player? I can't remember him uncovering anyone in his career.

If they get taken over there is no doubt they'll climb up the table. But you're mistaken if you think firing Bruce wouldn't be the new owners first act.

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Wait, you think Jeff Hendrick, Jamal Lewis and Ryan Fraser have been good for them?

Wilson is the only 'Bruce signing' to do alright this season. Almiron has probably been their best player, albeit woefully misused.

"Underperforming" suggests playing below their level. Isn't that kinda the managers' remit to work on?

Do you have any examples of his eye for a player? I can't remember him uncovering anyone in his career.

If they get taken over there is no doubt they'll climb up the table. But you're mistaken if you think firing Bruce wouldn't be the new owners first act.

John McGinn

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

John McGinn

McGinn isn't a bad shout, although let's not forget Brendan Rodgers really wanted him for Celtic at the same time.

I'm still not sure it's enough to claim he has an eye for a player. If you compare him to other managers I think his record is poor.

33 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

McGinn isn't a bad shout, although let's not forget Brendan Rodgers really wanted him for Celtic at the same time.

I'm still not sure it's enough to claim he has an eye for a player. If you compare him to other managers I think his record is poor.

What does Brendan Rodgers have to do with it? Does that devalue it somehow?? 

There’s plenty of sticks with which to beat Steve Bruce but his ability to bring in decent-good players isn’t one of them.

John Terry, Conor Hourihane, Elmo, El Ghazi.....they’re just for us. I can recall him somehow convincing World Cup winning Christoph Dugarry to sign for the shite amongst a host of other examples.

Of course there are duds too, but show me a Manager that hasn’t signed a dud.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What does Brendan Rodgers have to do with it? Does that devalue it somehow?? 

There’s plenty of sticks with which to beat Steve Bruce but his ability to bring in decent-good players isn’t one of them.

John Terry, Conor Hourihane, Elmo, El Ghazi.....they’re just for us. I can recall him somehow convincing World Cup winning Christoph Dugarry to sign for the shite amongst a host of other examples.

Of course there are duds too, but show me a Manager that hasn’t signed a dud.

I'm just making the point he wasn't exactly unknown.

To me the phrase "an eye for a player" suggests they see something others might have missed. Generally an unknown or underperforming player. It has absolutely nothing to do with convincing someone to sign.

You can hardly credit him with discovering John Terry and I think he was already aware of Elmo when we signed him.

El Ghazi and Hourihane are OK players, but I really don't see them as good enough to use as examples that someone is good in the transfer market.

I also wasn't saying he couldn't sign a decent player here and there in isolation, the point I was making was I think Newcastle's squad will be left a bigger and bigger mess the longer he is their manager. Unless you think our squad was good when he left?

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm just making the point he wasn't exactly unknown.

To me the phrase "an eye for a player" suggests they see something others might have missed. Generally an unknown or underperforming player. It has absolutely nothing to do with convincing someone to sign.

You can hardly credit him with discovering John Terry and I think he was already aware of Elmo when we signed him.

El Ghazi and Hourihane are OK players, but I really don't see them as good enough to use as examples that someone is good in the transfer market.

I also wasn't saying he couldn't sign a decent player here and there in isolation, the point I was making was I think Newcastle's squad will be left a bigger and bigger mess the longer he is their manager. Unless you think our squad was good when he left?

Well sorry but I dispute that, you wrote and therefore insinuated that he’s never signed a good unknown player and asked for an example, I offered John McGinn, as someone else pointed out Andy Robertson for Hull too.

Pretty sure he brought some good players into Wigan but can’t be arsed to check.

Like I say, signing decent/good players isn’t a Bruce problem, it’s more what he does with them afterwards that tends to be the issue.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well sorry but I dispute that, you wrote and therefore insinuated that he’s never signed a good unknown player and asked for an example, I offered John McGinn, as someone else pointed out Andy Robertson for Hull too.

Pretty sure he brought some good players into Wigan but can’t be arsed to check.

Like I say, signing decent/good players isn’t a Bruce problem, it’s more what he does with them afterwards that tends to be the issue.

I didn't see the Andy Robertson post. Maybe I was a bit unfair to insinuate he had never signed anyone decent. 

He's still shit at transfers. In the interest of fairness I should probably update my list though:

2018 - John McGinn

2014 - Andy Robertson

2007-2009 - Maybe someone at Wigan

I remain unconvinced that record would stack up against literally any other manager with as much top flight experience.

Â