Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Terrible team. You’d be very cynical not to feel bad for their fans, knowing all too well what it’s like to watch a team managed and coached by a man whose approach to football tactics is akin to treating a game of chess like a game of snakes and ladders.  

• Like 3

the problem for Newcastle is they have Leeds, Everton, Palace, Southampton, Chelsea, Man Utd & Wolves in their next 7 games.

they may beat Leeds, or Leeds could batter them, other than that they may have a chance of getting lucky versus Palace & Wolves, but i could also easily see them losing all of them games.

• Like 1

Their tactics don't make sense. Spamming the box with high crosses is the best approach for them to take into their next match against Leeds, who are notably not very good at dealing with aerial balls. We're very comfortable with it though, so that was a poor strategy. I also don't see why you need both Shelvey and Hendrick sitting in front of the back four when you already have three centre backs. Shelvey was poor and his radar was off, but Hendrick did nothing at all and I can't see the point of selecting him, rather than a more box-to-box midfielder who can carry the ball a bit. Maybe they don't have one?

Anyway, it just felt a bit random. They might get better again when Saint-Maximin is fully fit, when they can ditch Carroll and do a 4-3-3 with Almiron and Saint-Maximin wide, which was what they were doing when they were getting better results. At least those two can actually play football.

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Their tactics don't make sense. Spamming the box with high crosses is the best approach for them to take into their next match against Leeds, who are notably not very good at dealing with aerial balls. We're very comfortable with it though, so that was a poor strategy. I also don't see why you need both Shelvey and Hendrick sitting in front of the back four when you already have three centre backs. Shelvey was poor and his radar was off, but Hendrick did nothing at all and I can't see the point of selecting him, rather than a more box-to-box midfielder who can carry the ball a bit. Maybe they don't have one?

Anyway, it just felt a bit random. They might get better again when Saint-Maximin is fully fit, when they can ditch Carroll and do a 4-3-3 with Almiron and Saint-Maximin wide, which was what they were doing when they were getting better results. At least those two can actually play football.

They pressed high up for about 20 minutes at the start, looked good doing it too, then just abandoned it

Its a usual sign of a shit manager and shit team "how do Newcastle utd play?" there's no answer to it, they aren't even the 10 passes along the back 4, full back boots it long down the line in to the space for the striker to work the channels team that we were (he needs elmo for that) 

They have zero identity, absolutely nothing about them

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

They pressed high up for about 20 minutes at the start, looked good doing it too, then just abandoned it

Its a usual sign of a shit manager and shit team "how do Newcastle utd play?" there's no answer to it, they aren't even the 10 passes along the back 4, full back boots it long down the line in to the space for the striker to work the channels team that we were (he needs elmo for that) 

They have zero identity, absolutely nothing about them

Yeah, I don't understand what happened to their high press. They actually won the ball in good positions for the first 15-20 minutes, then as you say they just kind of stopped doing it when we scored. I suspect that's a mental thing as much as anything, once they were behind their shoulders slumped a bit and that was that.

• Like 1

Steve bruce doesn't do tactics

Christ even mcleish had some tactical awareness (the famed 4 right back against bale at spurs, with hard operating as a 5th auxiliary right back that night) but bruce...

11 players, defend and hope someone scores.

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

Steve bruce doesn't do tactics

Christ even mcleish had some tactical awareness (the famed 4 right back against bale at spurs, with hard operating as a 5th auxiliary right back that night) but bruce...

11 players, defend and hope someone scores.

Was that the infamous Dutch system?

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Was that the infamous Dutch system?

It was the famed let's defend against bale system

Adebayor scored after 4 minutes though, bale didnt so it sort of worked 

38 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I don't understand what happened to their high press. They actually won the ball in good positions for the first 15-20 minutes, then as you say they just kind of stopped doing it when we scored. I suspect that's a mental thing as much as anything, once they were behind their shoulders slumped a bit and that was that.

I think what it is, is that they haven't been properly coached into it. This is the first time I've seen them press like that in the last 18 months. It smacks of a manager just trying something for the sake of it, with no real conviction to it just so he can say he tried it. Like when he goes 4 up top. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Â