Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

19 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah we are hardly in any position to complain about other clubs spending money. We Man City'ed the Championship and then went full on lottery winners again this summer, and we change owners more often than some clubs do in a century.

Blame the PL for their generous parachute payments. Blame the EFL for their terrible business model which favours wage bubbles. Most clubs would have done the same in that situation, and we never breached FFP. We are certainly no Bournemouth. The squad rebuild was a practical solution, otherwise we'd have fewer than 15 squad players for the Premier League.

The Championship is full of clubs bloated on excess wages, look at the likes of Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday. Look at Derby County and their disgusting tactics to circumvent FFP. There are villians in the Championship, I would not have counted ourselves. Was money wasted? Certainly, but it preciptated the spending in the summer.

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Blame the PL for their generous parachute payments. Blame the EFL for their terrible business model which favours wage bubbles. Most clubs would have done the same in that situation, and we never breached FFP. We are certainly no Bournemouth. The squad rebuild was a practical solution, otherwise we'd have fewer than 15 squad players for the Premier League.

The Championship is full of clubs bloated on excess wages, look at the likes of Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday. Look at Derby County and their disgusting tactics to circumvent FFP. There are villians in the Championship, I would not have counted ourselves. Was money wasted? Certainly, but it preciptated the spending in the summer.

We got a respite from the rules due to us changing owners from what I remember.

And just like so many other clubs we were saved by getting promoted, had we not we would have gone bust, just like Bournemouth, Newcastle and a host of other clubs.

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That koulibably link is agent fishing

Linked with man City but willing to join Newcastle... Yeah OK, Newcastle also happen to be offering higher wages... Getting his client a big move to a big club, he won't be a Newcastle player 

Koulibaly has been quoted as saying that he always dreamed of playing with Ciaran Clarke(his spelling) and followed Steve Bruce managerial career since his Sheffield United days

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Koulibaly has been quoted as saying that he always dreamed of playing with Ciaran Clarke(his spelling) and followed Steve Bruce managerial career since his Sheffield United days

And just like his idol Chris Samba he's always wanted to play as striker and is hoping to pull on the fabled #9 shirt at Newcastle under Bruce.

• Haha 1

On 07/05/2020 at 14:38, The_Steve said:

Eh?

We have an average sized squad and midtable wage budget.

What Bristol City do well is sell a key player for big money every season.

Started with Kodj really. Over last few summers likes of Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Lloyld Kelly have gone to premier league for around 30m. And Josh Brownhill went in January.

That money is re-invested though which is in contrast to say Preston North end who get 15m for Hugil and Calum Robinson and continue signing bargain basement players from league 1 and 2.

I believe they were in for Nakki Wells in January but you comfortably outbid them in wages.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 18:39, Demitri_C said:

Already strongly linked of spending 70m on a cb in italy. This takeover completely stinks.

How the hell can  newcastle get away with spending 70m on one player than another 5 or 6?

They spent £40m on one player in the summer before any takeover

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

What Bristol City do well is sell a key player for big money every season.

Started with Kodj really. Over last few summers likes of Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid and Lloyld Kelly have gone to premier league for around 30m. And Josh Brownhill went in January.

That money is re-invested though which is in contrast to say Preston North end who get 15m for Hugil and Calum Robinson and continue signing bargain basement players from league 1 and 2.

I believe they were in for Nakki Wells in January but you comfortably outbid them in wages.

It's been the strategy taken since we got relegated in 2013.

Bryan went for £6m, Reid for £10m Kelly for £17m, potentially hitting £25m plus sell on clause, all as academy products.

Adam Webster was another £20m and Brownhill circa £8m iirc.

Brownhill cost nothing and Webster was circa £3m ish with add ons based on appearances.

• Like 1

Gareth Bale the latest to be linked. I so hope this is the type of players they will go for should the take over happen.

When he does play he is still a good player but he's constantly injured, pushing 30 and will be comically expensive, especially in wages.

Bit cruel on Bruce bringing in a golf partner for him and then getting the sack.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Gareth Bale the latest to be linked. I so hope this is the type of players they will go for should the take over happen.

When he does play he is still a good player but he's constantly injured, pushing 30 and will be comically expensive, especially in wages.

Bit cruel on Bruce bringing in a golf partner for him and then getting the sack.

Man City had several expensive flops at first but look at them now. 

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

Man City had several expensive flops at first but look at them now. 

Yeah, so lets hope Newcastle doesn't get things right right from the start. I'm assuming that's not something you want?

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, so lets hope Newcastle doesn't get things right right from the start. I'm assuming that's not something you want?

I'm just saying it will be a bit Canute-like. They might (and almost certainly will) have some cock ups at first but when you have unlimited money it won't matter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

I'm just saying it will be a bit Canute-like. They might (and almost certainly will) have some cock ups at first but when you have unlimited money it won't matter. 

Yup, they will be able to buy "success" to a point. But unless they get the right people in and build a structure in and around the club they will not be able to emulate Man City on a consistent basis.

If they buy a bunch of very expensive 30 y.o or so players on massive and hopefully long contracts it will create problems for them. 

But long term, if the Saudi's remain interested they will become a force.

They will have to buy marketing and therefore marketable players to raise to the profile of the club off the pitch to then pump money in around FFP, if those marketable players bring success then that's a bonus

What they can't do is say the red bull approach where they snap up a load of talented young players and build something properly reaping the rewards in a few years time 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m expecting Mike Ashley to be reported to have walked away from the deal, again, anytime soon.

I think people spoke too soon.

There are no indications this deal will happen anytime soon if at all. And it will be glorious.

• Like 1

Â