Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Very jealous of Lozaro that's a great signing. Really good utility wide player. Very much Elmo esq with the areas he can cover.

Bentaleb is good as well. Useful player to get to try and inject some quality into their stodgy play. Not sure of long term prospects in a team that just defends, they'll have to evolve eventually or he'll lose interest.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

They're being bought by some Saudi Arabian according to the news

That's a distraction while they sign no one in January then 

They've already signed two players, which is probably as many as most teams will bring in this month.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's quite simply a load of bollocks and it's use as a predictor of anything is absolutely not established. 

The lad who was talking it up in here the other day said he was going to provide some evidence to back up that claim, but he hasn't returned with it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

FFP throttles the owners regardless of how much they have or want to spend. Makes it all quite pointless having a billionaire backer.

Not pointless, as we have shown there are creative ways to inject funds into the club. 

Could you imagine where we’d be without our billionaire backers and were being run within our means instead?

4 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

The lad who was talking it up in here the other day said he was going to provide some evidence to back up that claim, but he hasn't returned with it.

Oh right yeah him, he replied to me with "google.com" rather than pointing me to the rigorous regression analysis I was expecting.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Not pointless, as we have shown there are creative ways to inject funds into the club. 

Could you imagine where we’d be without our billionaire backers and were being run within our means instead?

Ok, pointless to a degree... but there are heavy limits about what can be done. We’ve shoved money through several loopholes like moving the ownership of the stadium but this is only £50/£60m to stop us going bust.

Gone are the days like Man City when owners of a lower mid table club can go on a £200m spending spree several times.

They say the potential new owners of Newcastle have family wealth of up to a Trillion dollars. They’ll still struggle to spend much to get them up the table. There will be the usual tricks to artificially boost the income like sponsorship deals with family and friends but they’ll need to grow more organically.

Edited by Genie

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Oh right yeah him, he replied to me with "google.com" rather than pointing me to the rigorous regression analysis I was expecting.

When exactly did this happen? People really like making things up in this thread. I've only mentioned xg in this thread and it wasn't even me who started the topic and I said it's heavily flawed. Don't think I've ever replied to you about xg here.

From 2015.  Sure things have only got better in modeling since then also. 

https://cartilagefreecatain.sbnation.com/2015/10/19/9295905/premier-league-projections-and-new-expected-goals

I find the backlash against stats just strange. Nobody states its close to 100% efficiency and people act as as if it should be close to it. We all know parts of it is flawed. We all know football is very complicated to exactly model. But There's a reason why teams,especially top teams, are investing pretty heavily into it and a lot of the models is still closed off to the general public but it's slowly getting released. Teams definitely use xg and the like, but I'm sure they've got models a little bit more advanced.

Edited by Bugzy1991

7 hours ago, Bugzy1991 said:

When exactly did this happen? People really like making things up in this thread. I've only mentioned xg in this thread and it wasn't even me who started the topic and I said it's heavily flawed. Don't think I've ever replied to you about xg here.

From 2015.  Sure things have only got better in modeling since then also. 

https://cartilagefreecatain.sbnation.com/2015/10/19/9295905/premier-league-projections-and-new-expected-goals

I find the backlash against stats just strange. Nobody states its close to 100% efficiency and people act as as if it should be close to it. We all know parts of it is flawed. We all know football is very complicated to exactly model. But There's a reason why teams,especially top teams, are investing pretty heavily into it and a lot of the models is still closed off to the general public but it's slowly getting released. Teams definitely use xg and the like, but I'm sure they've got models a little bit more advanced.

I wasn't referring to you, relax.

This potential takeover is interesting. £340m to buy the club, plus a further £200m to sign players.

I'm not sure how takeovers work in terms of FFP but I would be surprised if the £200m was something that they could just get away with spending. Will be interesting if it happens.

12 minutes ago, Bugzy1991 said:

Is it an actual legit takeover this time? Feels like this happens every transfer window? 

It's the 3rd time I've read about it, I think first time was May 2019. If MBS or closely connected can buy an Premier League team English football is gone. Let them have no scruples McMahon family WWE but FFS no to PL or EFL team!

Edited by Kiwivillan

The Sun :D 

Rafa Benitez set for shock Newcastle comeback as Saudi Arabian Crown Prince nears takeover

RAFA BENITEZ is being targeted to make a sensational return as Newcastle manager.

The former Toon boss features in proposals by Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman He is working on a return for Benitez, who quit after three years last summer, and that would mean the end for Steve Bruce.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10825562/rafa-benitez-newcastle-saudi-arabian-takeover/

Â