Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

On 20/10/2019 at 09:06, villa4europe said:

Failed to have a shot on target again yesterday, means after 10 games they’ve had 28 shots on target

weve had 70 in 11 games

Fair, but they have played Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool and Spurs away plus Arsenal and Man Utd at home.

Given that everyone's expectation is for them to be relegated, it's probably a minor miracle they've gained 6 points from that lot.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Fair, but they have played Chelsea, Leicester, Liverpool and Spurs away plus Arsenal and Man Utd at home.

Given that everyone's expectation is for them to be relegated, it's probably a minor miracle they've gained 6 points from that lot.

the point was that points on the board is irrelevant when you are asking the question over whether or not you are willing to spunk north of £500 a season on a ST and £100 per away game

when we had Bruce I wasn't, 12 hour round trip to not have a shot on target and 28% possession I don't think I would be if I was a toon fan either

they'll snatch points here and there and do enough to stay up but that's still poor

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

I think that’s a valid point re those side to some extent but I think it’s somewhat selective. They’ve also been battered by newly promoted Norwich and utterly dominanted at home by Brighton and failed to beat Watford at home and that was when they were losing every game.

So yes they’ve had some tough games but minor miracle they are on 6 points? Nah no chance.

Your suggestion seems to be they will do better when they play weaker sides, well their results don’t really suggest that’s the case. I’d also suggest given what we saw of Bruce’s football this is unlikely to be true.

I think they will be in or around the bottom three all season. That won’t all be down to Bruce but he is certainly part of the problem rather than the solution.

• Like 1

Even just as a percentages game, "keeping it tight and trying to nick one on the break" surely has got to be a very bad tactic, especially when you don't even have any attempts on target? The way Wolves do it is how I'd imagine it's done if there is actually an ambition to win football matches.

Against Chelsea, they just sat in their own half for practically the whole 90 minutes and had no ambition to venture into the opposition half. How could you possibly expect to win? We're having like 7 shots on target a game and are basically eke'ing out wins. How far can 0-2 shots per game really take you? I fancy even Watford to finish above them tbh.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I think that’s a valid point re those side to some extent but I think it’s somewhat selective. They’ve also been battered by newly promoted Norwich and utterly dominanted at home by Brighton and failed to beat Watford at home and that was when they were losing every game.

So yes they’ve had some tough games but minor miracle they are on 6 points? Nah no chance.

Your suggestion seems to be they will do better when they play weaker sides, well their results don’t really suggest that’s the case. 

It doesn't really suggest anything other than they should have more shots on target against the weaker sides (which they do).  Their attacking has been poor but in the selective fixtures I've chosen, they've had 8 shots on target.  So that's 8 shots on target from 6 games but in the other 3 games, they've had 13 shots on target.  It's an odd stat to pick up on given their tough start.

(FWIW, we were also being dominated at home by Brighton before Mooy's poor decision making).

I don't really understand the thread title or its motives.

I don't see the point in laughing at any team......or particulary like it ,when other teams had a case against us in the past.

what goes around comes around.

Is an article in one of the big Swedish tabloids today about the Longstaff brothers.

Apparently they lived in Sweden for a year or so as their father David played ice hockey for Djurgården in Stockholm.

I did not know this :)

The Longstaff brothers: "Remember Dad's matches in the Globe"

Sean and Matty Longstaff about the success of the Premier League, the year in Stockholm - and a possible hockey career

LONDON. The Longstaff brothers are Newcastle faithful.

However, the father of David's hockey career and his upbringing in Stockholm have a big part in the duo's success on the football field, they sign.

- I told my dad that we have to go back now that we are adults. It is definitely on the "bucket list" to go and see a match again, says Sean to Sportbladet.

"Remember Dad's Matches in the Globe"

Newcastle may be the club in their hearts and birthplace (to be really careful, however, Matty was born in Rotherham) but they grew up in several different countries - including Sweden.

Longstaff the elder, David, became historical when he signed for Djurgården Hockey in the summer of 2001. Thus, he also became the first Englishman to play in the then Elitserien. The decision to move to Stockholm was made after his football-playing cousin Alan Thompson had consulted his Swedish teammates in Celtic, Henrik Larsson and Johan Mjällby, who obviously had only positive things to say.

Then, at the time of the acquisition, David Longstaff had trained with the NHL team Clagary Flames, become the team captain of the national team and appointed the league's most valuable player. In addition, wife Michelle had given birth to two boys.

Sean, born in 1997, remembers some of the year in Stockholm.

- We lived in Huddinge, I think it's called? I especially remember the rinks where we used to play, says Sean Longstaff.

- Then I have quite a lot of memories from dad's matches in the Globe. So little I remember, even though I was very young.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/b5dxXv/broderna-longstaff-minns-pappas-matcher-i-globen

On 21/10/2019 at 16:53, Keyblade said:

Even just as a percentages game, "keeping it tight and trying to nick one on the break" surely has got to be a very bad tactic, especially when you don't even have any attempts on target? The way Wolves do it is how I'd imagine it's done if there is actually an ambition to win football matches.

Against Chelsea, they just sat in their own half for practically the whole 90 minutes and had no ambition to venture into the opposition half. How could you possibly expect to win? We're having like 7 shots on target a game and are basically eke'ing out wins. How far can 0-2 shots per game really take you? I fancy even Watford to finish above them tbh.

Well, Sheff utd showed us how possession can be surrendered, but still remain exciting, by their all action style.....and nearly upset Liverpool, in a previous game.

sometimes, needs must.....

They keep it tight, by snapping at everything as opposed to just parking the bus.....110% workrate, where have i heard that before?....and sure they can play a bit.

I would be happy for us to adopt some of their attributes.

We play some good stuff no doubt, but we are too open at times and need to tighten up, especially in certain games.

We have some top players.....but some also that need to work harder and contribute more to the effectiveness.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Well, Sheff utd showed us how possession can be surrendered, but still remain exciting, by their all action style.....and nearly upset Liverpool, in a previous game.

sometimes, needs must.....

They keep it tight, by snapping at everything as opposed to just parking the bus.....110% workrate, where have i heard that before?....and sure they can play a bit.

I would be happy for us to adopt some of their attributes.

We play some good stuff no doubt, but we are too open at times and need to tighten up, especially in certain games.

We have some top players.....but some also that need to work harder and contribute more to the effectiveness.

Yes Sheffield United are another good example. They surrender a lot of the possession but make the most out of the possession they do have. Quality over quantity is the name of the game for them. It's a far cry from Newcastle who have no idea what they're supposed to do when in possession and seem to just stumble into goals (just 5 scored all season). 

On 21/10/2019 at 13:47, villa4europe said:

the point was that points on the board is irrelevant when you are asking the question over whether or not you are willing to spunk north of £500 a season on a ST and £100 per away game

when we had Bruce I wasn't, 12 hour round trip to not have a shot on target and 28% possession I don't think I would be if I was a toon fan either

they'll snatch points here and there and do enough to stay up but that's still poor

Points in the board are irrelevant? 

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard when it's points that will decide whether you'll be asked to spend North of £500 for games in the top flight or 2nd tier. Points are pretty much the most relevant things in league football when you consider without them we'll just slide straight down the leagues. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't really understand the thread title or its motives.

I don't see the point in laughing at any team......or particulary like it ,when other teams had a case against us in the past.

what goes around comes around.

The first post in the thread might give you the context to understand it!

On 16/06/2013 at 16:47, Jimzk5 said:

Had to check a newcastle forum to check its legit, it appears so according to them, but joe kinnear is to be announced as there director of football

:)

1 hour ago, Stuartc445 said:

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard when it's points that will decide whether you'll be asked to spend North of £500 for games in the top flight or 2nd tier.

No it isn't. It's points that decide whether or not you will be playing in a particular division in the future. People are only paying for the existing season's product.

Do you really think it's ridiculous to suggest the only real consideration in the here and now on whether or not to buy a season ticket is enjoyment? Considering football is an entertainment product that seems pretty blatant to me. Now, obviously a lot of people's enjoyment will be swayed by points and/or league position.

1 hour ago, Stuartc445 said:

Points are pretty much the most relevant things in league football when you consider without them we'll just slide straight down the leagues. 

You seem to be trying to argue a different point to the post you quoted...

On 21/10/2019 at 13:47, villa4europe said:

• Like 3

@Sam-AVFC

yep my thoughts exactly

if you want to spend £2000+ a year and lose a day of your week watching your team have 30% possession and 2 shots per game but scraping enough points to survive then that's up to you, personally based on my experience of following villa home and away during our 5 year decline and eventual drop I can categorically say that I don't 

the PL is not the be all and end all it is made out to be, I want to see villa do well and play good football not just accept our lot and join the happy to be there brigade that plagues the PL, fortunately with our current owners and set up that's not a problem we have, Newcastle on the other hand have blatantly adopted a stay up at all cost approach this season, if I was a Newcastle fan then I would not be parting with my money to watch it every week (id watch it on TV still obviously, there's a difference between being a fan and that level of commitment)

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 4

Newcastle are 6k down on average attendances from last year so I think their fans agree with you! Be interesting to see how many are attending at the end of the season if the football remains uninspiring and Ashley hasn't sold up.

Disclaimer: before anyone tells me that some wont be turning up because of ownership, I know this, but if they had an on the pitch product that outweighed this they'd still turn up. They hated Ashley last year, but still sold out every game because they loved Rafa.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

@Sam-AVFC

yep my thoughts exactly

if you want to spend £2000+ a year and lose a day of your week watching your team have 30% possession and 2 shots per game but scraping enough points to survive then that's up to you, personally based on my experience of following villa home and away during our 5 year decline and eventual drop I can categorically say that I don't 

the PL is not the be all and end all it is made out to be, I want to see villa do well and play good football not just accept our lot and join the happy to be there brigade that plagues the PL, fortunately with our current owners and set up that's not a problem we have, Newcastle on the other hand have blatantly adopted a stay up at all cost approach this season, if I was a Newcastle fan then I would not be parting with my money to watch it every week (id watch it on TV still obviously, there's a difference between being a fan and that level of commitment)

just to note as well that we suffered the Lambert/McLeish style of football and stayed up and it was really not fun in the main. We may not stay up this season but at least we are being entertained and trying to get results. 

e.g as it is we are on to score over 60 goals this season and we havent done that in top flight since 2007/08

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

No it isn't. It's points that decide whether or not you will be playing in a particular division in the future. People are only paying for the existing season's product.

Do you really think it's ridiculous to suggest the only real consideration in the here and now on whether or not to buy a season ticket is enjoyment? Considering football is an entertainment product that seems pretty blatant to me. Now, obviously a lot of people's enjoyment will be swayed by points and/or league position.

You seem to be trying to argue a different point to the post you quoted...

Yes and if this season we don't get enough points it'll be relegation which will mean its a rubbish product because it'd have ended up in failure. It's simple as that really. 

This season is about staying up and points is what will achieve that so saying they are irrelevant is ridiculous. 

Edited by Stuartc445

16 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

This season is about staying up and points is what will achieve that so saying they are irrelevant is ridiculous. 

No it isn’t, it just means people have a different thought process than you when deciding whether or not to buy the product. What is ridiculous is assuming everyone has to think the same way as you.

edit - for absolute clarity, I’m obviously not unaware of the fact points gained are clearly the best measure of league success

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

Â