Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Hughton should keep his nerve and ignore Huddersfield.

The Newcastle job will be available before Christmas i predict.

The Newcastle that sacked him for no reason. Bet he cant wait to return 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure every team has to play the same fixtures

Pretty sure i was just pointing out they have a tough upcoming fixture list and that they can have a worryingly low amount of point tally in November.

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Pretty sure every team has to play the same fixtures

Yeah but having a lot of tough fixtures in a row can really **** up a season. I remember in Lambert's last season we lost something like 6 in a row going into the autumn, partly because we had to face most of the top 7 one after the other.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 04:56, Mantis said:

Yeah but having a lot of tough fixtures in a row can really **** up a season. I remember in Lambert's last season we lost something like 6 in a row going into the autumn, partly because we had to face most of the top 7 one after the other.

...and we have to do the same thing this season.

think you're missing the point

yes we all have to play the same games but I think as we demonstrated in our relegation year confidence, morale, ability to put a run together blah blah blah all play a part, us, baggies and sunderland were shit but not as bad as the points tally suggests, the mental side of it is huge for a club down near the bottom, points paint over cracks

I expect us to be scattergun this season, pick points up unexpectedly at different times throughout the season, keeps everyone on board and our heads above the water, conversely if we make it to 10 games without winning do the boo boys return? is smith questioned? do the players heads drop?

and that's at a club who started the season quite positively, put that scenario in to Newcastle...if they hit their 13th game of the season with us in mid November on around 5-8 points, which with those fixtures is totally conceivable, they could be in a crisis which they might not recover from, the brighton game could be massive for their season, fail to beat brighton, then fail to beat us and they could be on around 3/4 points at the end of November, they wont recover from that in the current climate up there

Edited by villa4europe

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yes we all have to play the same games but I think as we demonstrated in our relegation year confidence, morale, ability to put a run together blah blah blah all play a part, us, baggies and sunderland were shit but not as bad as the points tally suggests, the mental side of it is huge for a club down near the bottom, points paint over cracks

I expect us to be scattergun this season, pick points up unexpectedly at different times throughout the season, keeps everyone on board and our heads above the water, conversely if we make it to 10 games without winning do the boo boys return? is smith questioned? do the players heads drop?

and that's at a club who started the season quite positively, put that scenario in to Newcastle...if they hit their 13th game of the season with us in mid November on around 5-8 points, which with those fixtures is totally conceivable, they could be in a crisis which they might not recover from, the brighton game could be massive for their season, fail to beat brighton, then fail to beat us and they could be on around 3/4 points at the end of November, they wont recover from that in the current climate up there

Well they still play Watford, maybe Watford are mentally better but if they lost to West Ham this week then it could start making their fans worried. We're worried after all when we lost two and scored some goals. Watford conceded 4 without scoring. 

The best scenario for us I guess is that they play their game without having any points. If we get a good result today that would help us a lot. 

Also I agree with you about us, Sunderland and WBA. Escpecially the latter they were going to stay if they had another game or two and do the miracle.

Leicester was the same until they went in that run which kept them up then got them the league.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I would expect the crowd to start booing some time before ten games without a win to be honest. The club will start thinking about potential different options in the not-too-distant future, behind the scenes. That's just the nature of English football these days. 

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I would expect the crowd to start booing some time before ten games without a win to be honest. The club will start thinking about potential different options in the not-too-distant future, behind the scenes. That's just the nature of English football these days. 

that's what can send them off the cliff

if the players and fans believe that Bruce is long term no matter how bad it gets, they play those 8 fixtures with no indication of betterment or change, they will give up

that's why those 8 games are important and its shit for them that they're so hard and its not a case of everyone has to play them so what's the big deal

we sacked Sherwood in October and appointed garde first week of November, 10 games in, 4 points, still in the league cup but our season was finished, the players had gone mentally

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

that's what can send them off the cliff

if the players and fans believe that Bruce is long term no matter how bad it gets, they play those 8 fixtures with no indication of betterment or change, they will give up

that's why those 8 games are important and its shit for them that they're so hard and its not a case of everyone has to play them so what's the big deal

we sacked Sherwood in October and appointed garde first week of November, 10 games in, 4 points, still in the league cup but our season was finished, the players had gone mentally

This is the key point. Managers, fans and chairmen are all extremely bad at understanding that reversion to the mean is a thing, and generally assume that whatever the last result was will be indicative of results in the future. We all understand in theory that there is no actual difference between a sequence like WLWLWLWLWL and one like WWWWWLLLLL but the difference is that the first manager isn't worried about losing his job and the second has just received a tepid vote of confidence. 

He is on Sky Sports News again this evening.  Things are unraveling yet again.

Here's the link to the article on Sky Sports:

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce has rubbished recent claims from Michael Chopra as "lies" and says it's too early for talks of a crisis at the club.

The Magpies are without a win in the Premier League this season after losing to Arsenal and Norwich in their opening two fixtures, adding to the fans' discontent after the owners failed to secure the long-term services of previous manager Rafa Benitez.

Earlier this week Chopra claimed some senior players told him they "don't know their jobs" under Bruce, but at Friday's press conference the Newcastle boss labelled the comment as "fabricated".

"The disappointing thing is people who just generally tell lies," Bruce said about criticism of the club on social media. "The Michael Chopra thing was blown out of all proportion."It's laughable, really, for the people in the dressing room and my staff. Some of this stuff is just nonsense, but obviously it gets mentioned regularly.

Â