Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah, we’d just beaten West Ham 3-0 the game before (I think), it was the second game of the season and first away - if I’ve got the timeline right (and yes, I could check but I can’t be arsed) it was about 10 days after O’Neill had walked out and a few days after Milner left and Ireland joined.

So many bad things all in a couple of weeks! 

Sounds about right. I was going through our old Premier League fixtures the other day and this one stood out to me because I couldn't remember it. Must have buried it deep, deep down inside... 

Carew blazed his penalty over at 0-0 and they went on to win 6-0. The stats are truly depressing...

image.thumb.png.92a4651c48056a96c224bde7b6b8b817.png

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I'd have Carew, Young and Albrighton in our current lineup, I think that's it.

I'd have most that team in their prime tbf but it was clear that side was coming to the end. Players already wanting away and players winding down.

On 16/08/2019 at 00:47, Hornso said:

Sounds about right. I was going through our old Premier League fixtures the other day and this one stood out to me because I couldn't remember it. Must have buried it deep, deep down inside... 

Carew blazed his penalty over at 0-0 and they went on to win 6-0. The stats are truly depressing...

image.thumb.png.92a4651c48056a96c224bde7b6b8b817.png

It was a Sunday game. Had to take my Nan to Nuneaton for a doctors appointment. Lasted an hour and decided on way driving back to stop off at a pub to watch from first 40 minutes (didn't know the score as the car radio wasn't working). Went in, had a quick look at the score (judging from that we were 3 down) and quickly walked out! Given this was just outside Nuneaton there were a few Coventry fans in that pub.

Got back home 40 minutes later and we were at that point 5 down.

Newcastle did well that season and finished 11th I think and only a point or two below us. Looking at their line up though and they had likes of Perch, Routledge and Mike Williamson starting. Joey Barton and Nolan who always seemed to score v us were massive for them that season and Carroll until they sold him in the January window.

Also notice the 43k crowd, did they have another boycott going on at the time. They got 48k v Arsenal on Sunday.

To complete this feelgood post this game was inbetween two legs of Rapid Vienna tie and the disaster of the second leg.

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Downing was fantastic that season, much better than Young in terms of productivity.

It was the last season we've beaten Newcastle. It was my second time at VP when Collins scored that goal. 

We have one of the worst records against them (we had a bad one with City too even before their current setup). But we know how to send them down (it was fun when we took them down with us last time).

• Like 1

It's odd how bad our record is at St James. Can't say it's just travel sickness as we always win at Boro and Sunderland.

Think our last win there was 2005 when Dyer and Bowyer were fighting. We've even won at Man. City and Old Trafford since!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's odd how bad our record is at St James. Can't say it's just travel sickness as we always win at Boro and Sunderland.

Think our last win there was 2005 when Dyer and Bowyer were fighting. We've even won at Man. City and Old Trafford since!

Only won something like 7 times at St James Park in history

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

The think with Newcastle is they know how to **** it. They like to make laugh out of them. Like the fight you've mentioned.

Anyway, we've even wonn at Spurs, Arsenal (more than once), (Liverpool plenty) and Chelsea (more than once).

Ugh, that Newcastle game in 2010 is definitely one of the most embarrassing in my time supporting the club. I remember it well as we'd just demolished West Ham 3-0 in the opening game of the season and most of us thought we'd at least have a decent chance against newly promoted Newcastle.

But yeah our record at St James Park is hideous - kind of like the inverse of Sunderland where we almost always won comfortably.

6 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

They can't even spend money well. Joelinton looks poor, not surprising given his poor scoring record. Almiron is all style and no substance. Very poor side overall.

they don't know where Willems actually plays ;) 

16 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

They can't even spend money well. Joelinton looks poor, not surprising given his poor scoring record. Almiron is all style and no substance. Very poor side overall.

Joelinton seems like a crazy signing based on his stats.

I know it's not all about stats, but I certainly raised my eyebrows when I saw the money they'd paid.

Joelinton and Wesley seem like pretty similar signings, as do their stats from last season.

Bundesliga obviously a superior league compared to the Jupiler league but they paid almost twice what we did for Wesley.

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Joelinton and Wesley seem like pretty similar signings, as do their stats from last season.

Bundesliga obviously a superior league compared to the Jupiler league but they paid almost twice what we did for Wesley.

Wesley got nearly double the goals Joelinton did last season and got more goals in Champions League too

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Wesley got nearly double the goals Joelinton did last season and got more goals in Champions League too

Guess so if you count the Jupiler league play off as well. 3 goals in those 10 games.

Regular league he got 10 goals and 9 assist vs 7+7 for Joelinton in the Bundesliga

Wesley had 2 in the CL Joelinton was 1+1

Similar not identical. And even thou Bundesliga is far superior I can't see him worth almost twice as much

Â