Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He is doomed to fail.

This has similarities to when we got McLeish. Fans are not happy, he's managed Sunderland, toxic atmosphere from day 1.

for all the news this is getting...can you imagine if Bruce had relegated sunderland last season and was now getting this job?

its still mind blowingly mad what we did

• Like 1

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He is doomed to fail.

This has similarities to when we got McLeish. Fans are not happy, he's managed Sunderland, toxic atmosphere from day 1.

Similarities, but I dont think McLeish was as instantly hated. There was a lot of negativity, but a reasonably large proportion of the fanbase were willing to give him a chance. If you look at the Newcastle boards (any of them) it is universally negative. I have never seen a reaction like it.

We'll see what it's like at the Sports Direct Arena.

The general vibe when we appointed McLeish was very negative, but the away support at Fulham and his first home game showed something completely different, the fans were very behind him.

Let's see if they get behind him, or just drown the club in their toxicity.

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

for all the news this is getting...can you imagine if Bruce had relegated sunderland last season and was now getting this job?

its still mind blowingly mad what we did

We actually handled that astonishing situation better than Newcastle fans are. After the initial shock and opposition, many of us were willing to give him a chance even though it was obvious he was not good enough to manage Villa. Personally I was behind him until about February/March. That Bolton game was the last straw.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

The first game I took my wife (who is Canadian) to. I've still never experienced a more toxic atmosphere at a football ground. Her first exposure to any football of any kind was standing at the back of the Holte behind a 7 year old kid screaming '**** off you ginger word removed' at McLeish for 90 minutes :D

Who could have foreseen that it would actually get worse. Wouldn't fault that 7 year old if he completely swore off football. Probably experienced nothing but misery until last year if he lasted that long.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We actually handled that astonishing situation better than Newcastle fans are. After the initial shock and opposition, many of us were willing to give him a chance even though it was obvious he was not good enough to manage Villa. Personally I was behind him until about February/March. That Bolton game was the last straw.

I think it got to the stage where you knew it was coming, so many people biting their tongue and so many stay aways, it had turned but it was kind of bottled up for a long time, you could pick your seat in the upper holte, especially on the wings, I got to the stage where I was going to games quietly excited anticipating the vitriol...and then it exploded and it was almost celebratory, like the shackles had been taken off

Can remember a Martin your clearing in the woods chant a couple of years later aimed at MON that turned in to someone else being a clearing in the woods (maybe lerner) and that was kind of the same, like a release of pent up anger 

Bruce can't be on the sideline for their next friendly as they haven't been able to sort out a work visa. Tourist viewing from the stands it is, what a mess. 

I wonder if the 90m figure that's being quoted includes the value of the contracted salary/bonuses. That would make more sense from Ashley and makes that number an awful lot smaller.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Who could have foreseen that it would actually get worse. Wouldn't fault that 7 year old if he completely swore off football. Probably experienced nothing but misery until last year if he lasted that long.

or he's a Liverpool/City fan 🤮

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think it got to the stage where you knew it was coming, so many people biting their tongue and so many stay aways, it had turned but it was kind of bottled up for a long time, you could pick your seat in the upper holte, especially on the wings, I got to the stage where I was going to games quietly excited anticipating the vitriol...and then it exploded and it was almost celebratory, like the shackles had been taken off

Can remember a Martin your clearing in the woods chant a couple of years later aimed at MON that turned in to someone else being a clearing in the woods (maybe lerner) and that was kind of the same, like a release of pent up anger 

Wigan away was first time it properly kicked off, booing of his subs etc but yes Bolton was when VP united, much like the last 10 minutes of the Preston game in October.

5 hours ago, useless said:

Ashley gave £70m to McClaren the year they got relegated, that season only Man City spent more.

Yes they went down with two players in their midfield who started this year's CL final! Would argue Mitrovic upfront for them that year was on a par with Rondon last season.

Just shows inept manager can relegate a decent squad. Newcastle fans would also be frustrated Benitez never got 70m to play with in one transfer window in premier league.

9 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Batten down the hatches!!! 

315D31BF-2845-453E-B96B-22BE4CA4B63A.jpeg

150 people marching on the stadium filled up on "generously priced" drinks?

That'll show him...

Also, surely they could have found 2 bigger heroes than Ginola and Warren Barton for their poster?? 😂

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Haha 1

Â