Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

When did SB last manage in the prem, 14/15 when he got relegated with Hull after spending a decent amount?

Think MON was only out of prem for 18 months after leaving us and his approach looked even more archaic at Sunderland. 4-5 years is very long time so think Newcastle are serious relegation candidates, won't be as defensively secure and they've lost pretty much all their goals with Perez and Rondon gone.

Personally I don’t think Bruce is that bad a move (Ashley won’t pay for him anyway so it won’t happen), whilst obviously a superior manager, Benitez’s style isn’t that dissimilar to Bruce, so the players will be suited to it. It’s not like it’s a completely different style

I think the Villa/Newcastle feud is pathetic. Have met many Newcastle fans who dont care and have a soft spot for us that seems some virgin internet warriors have made something from nothing

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think the Villa/Newcastle feud is pathetic. Have met many Newcastle fans who dont care and have a soft spot for us that seems some virgin internet warriors have made something from nothing

It is pathetic but I’ve seen it first hand. I was in a bar in New Zealand, chatting away to a few other English lads. Been talking about an hr when the subject of football is brought up. As soon as I mention Villa one bloke gets up from the table, tells me to **** off and that he won’t drink with Villa scum, everyone else just laughs at him so he storms off. Very strange experience I must say

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

It is pathetic but I’ve seen it first hand. I was in a bar in New Zealand, chatting away to a few other English lads. Been talking about an hr when the subject of football is brought up. As soon as I mention Villa one bloke gets up from the table, tells me to **** off and that he won’t drink with Villa scum, everyone else just laughs at him so he storms off. Very strange experience I must say

Nutter. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

When did SB last manage in the prem, 14/15 when he got relegated with Hull after spending a decent amount?

The daft thing is it probably should have been us rather than them that went down.They ended up 3 points off us but they scored more goals, conceded fewer & lost less games. If we hadn't beaten them early in the season it could well have been us going down the shitter. Not sure if they had a load of injuries but only elmo, livermore & huddlestone made 30+ appearances all season and if you look at the signings he made that season there are some great buys, Harry Maguire & Andrew Robertson for a combined 5 million quid being the standouts (would be lucky to pay 150 million for the two of them 4 years later) but also Snodgrass, Livermore & Michael Dawson. Who knows what would have happened the following year if they had scraped up instead of us

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Nah real life aswell, according to a few of our away regulars they got dogs abuse in 16/17 waiting to go into SJP from passing Newcastle fans.

34 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

The daft thing is it probably should have been us rather than them that went down.They ended up 3 points off us but they scored more goals, conceded fewer & lost less games. If we hadn't beaten them early in the season it could well have been us going down the shitter. Not sure if they had a load of injuries but only elmo, livermore & huddlestone made 30+ appearances all season and if you look at the signings he made that season there are some great buys, Harry Maguire & Andrew Robertson for a combined 5 million quid being the standouts (would be lucky to pay 150 million for the two of them 4 years later) but also Snodgrass, Livermore & Michael Dawson. Who knows what would have happened the following year if they had scraped up instead of us

Maguire didn't play much until 2016, was loaned out that season to Wigan. Think Snodgrass did his ACL in first game. They also signed Tom Ince and Abel Hernandez that summer.

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Yep, Do the same sheet for us/any team, last 12 years vs the 12 years before and for most it wouldn't look pretty

Most of teams that faded those days were either bankrupted or had major issues. The others were yo-yo clubs. Leeds, Coventry, Pompey...etc

Who would you consider a yo-yo club now? I'd say it's most likely Norwich who came up three times since 2012. I can't consider Fulham as they've only gone up once (they went down after a long stay last time), QPR were that team at a point.

Teams are coming out of nowhere to find themselves up.

Dingles and Cardiff were up without being in top 10 the year before. Norwich and Sheffield were almost the same this year. While us and Fulham went up through two tries at Playoffs.

What I'm trying to say once you get it right you could have a huge step up. Look at the dingles now. The thing is you can't stay still and think you'll get going. Look at the mighty Arsenal how are they free falling. Look at the amount of money teams are paying. A lot of varieties. Having ambition, working hard and spending money aren't choices, but are a musts in modern football. That's the most exciting thing about PL, yet it's hard for clubs like ours who used to not think about relegation (yet it's interesting once we click on and while getting run the way we do now).

Many teams around there kept flirting around relegation places until they finally fallen. Stuttgart, the mighty Hamburg, Us, Blunderland (they even managed to drop more) "Although they had recent history with relegation), Chievo Verona, Bolton and many more.

I feel that our way of going down was much better than Nocastle, and Fulham (their first time). Fulham were established as mostly top 10 club. The toon were either up there of playing for survival while having a proper team. Usually no other team than Villa knows how to **** it. But gladly we always have the Scum, Barcodes and Leeds. It's something they regulary do but, it was the best chance for the Scum to make laugh at us when they won the cup. Yet they managed to go down in a dramatic way. Barcodes were waiting for sending us down, yet when it mattered for them who has one of the best stats against us, they've managed to be the only team not to beat us in our worst season. Leeds won the league before christmas, then found then they played against us as if it was a cup final (to make us lose mentality), at the end they've blow they're chance even after they won away at Derby.

I don't know how I went from subject to another, but it's Newcastle, and the circus continues. 😀

Forget something, I remember under Lambert (in his first season), it was painful losing to them at home. Especially when dominating them at home, when we were losing mentality after conceding 15 in 3 games in Dec. Also they had a big winter signing by then (Sissoko..... etc). I guess we were linked to Coutinho, ending up with Sylla (who to be fair had a solid season and helped us staying up) and Dawkins.

Anyway, towards the end of the season we were reducing the gaps with teams above us while escaping from the drop. I was hoping that we can be above them and Sunderland (which is a bonus on staying up). We were 11- GD to Newcastle. But these two teams like circuses. I can't forget that week as I was counting the GD and watched Liverpool putting 6 goals in them.  I started looking at how much left for us to do. We've beaten Sunderland 6-1, to be above the top of the two of them. lol

We've finished the season above them by GD if I remember it well.

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

I mean, we Villa supporters never considered it a feud in the first place.  Yeah, we shouldn't have celebrated their misery as much as we did when we relegated them for the first time under Ashley, but it really should have ended when they first came back up and beat us 6-1 at St. James Park right after MON left us in the lurch.  Their fans couldn't let it be and kept bringing it up over and over and over again.

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Nah real life aswell, according to a few of our away regulars they got dogs abuse in 16/17 waiting to go into SJP from passing Newcastle fans.

And we just laughed at them and took the piss...AGAIN

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

I mean, we Villa supporters never considered it a feud in the first place.  Yeah, we shouldn't have celebrated their misery as much as we did when we relegated them for the first time under Ashley, but it really should have ended when they first came back up and beat us 6-1 at St. James Park right after MON left us in the lurch.  Their fans couldn't let it be and kept bringing it up over and over and over again.

What they don’t realise is that most clubs fans were laughing and taking the piss. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It is actually happening. I am really going to enjoy this absolute car crash.

He'll do OK because they have a crap team. He can go in and lower expectations and will be innocent if they finish 20th.

Shelvey will be good highlights player under him with his lack of tactics.

Two of the biggest games in the season now.

Â