Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Not to mention he can, once again, use the excuse that he used to manage "that lot down the road", and that's why Newcastle aren't happy at his 17 games without a goal.

Bloody hysteria!

They never accepted me...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Do they actually have any Geordies in their team? 

Don't think they do

Mayby that's the problem, the players don't understand what a "hotbed of football it is up there" (trademark micky quinn) and we all know they "love their #9 strikers up there" (trademark skysports) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Do they actually have any Geordies in their team? 

Sean Longstaff is a local lad, although hasn't featured all that much for them yet.  He's the lad Man Utd are sniffing around, and who would allegedly cost them "more than Wan-Bissaka" :lol:

• Thanks 1

He said similair when he got sacked by Sunderland...

"We got off to a difficult start, and we had the top teams early on.

"The Geordie thing unfortunately came out. I supported Newcastle as a boy and lived in Newcastle, left when I was 15.
"I went to Sunderland and said, 'Listen, you know where I'm from, you know who I supported as a boy, but it was years ago.' But that's the one thing that came out towards the end."

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

You know, Alex McLeish doesn't get enough credit for how much of a class act he was (he did keep us up too). Never once said anything like this, despite literally coming to us directly from SHA after knocking us out of the cup with them the year before.

Made this point a few times.

As much as a disaster of a manager McLeish is, I think he's always come across as a decent bloke who genuinely couldn't believe his luck when he landed our gig.

• Like 2

I would have preferred Bruce to stay at Wednesday to see how he does at a club that really has no money, and really has to 'beg, steal and borrow'. In a way I feel like he's landed on his feet again if does take the Newcastle job, as they haven't as bad of a team as people make out, he'll have some money to spend, so will have a good chance of keeping them up, which if he does do the media will portray him as some miracle worker, whereas if he fails, it will be blamed on the turmoil that the club was in during the summer, and behind the scenes.

Edited by useless

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Made this point a few times.

As much as a disaster of a manager McLeish is, I think he's always come across as a decent bloke who genuinely couldn't believe his luck when he landed our gig.

Even looking back, he wasn't that much of a disaster when compared to what followed him. It was just a huge shock to the system at the time, following three 6th place finishes and a turbulent but promising 9th place finish. We just didn't know at the time that this was going to be the state of affairs for the next 5 years.

Hindsight is 20/20 but McLeish's time should be looked at much less harshly. I would have laughed in 2012 if someone told me that things were gonna get worse, way worse even. I thought we were being managed by the footballing antichrist and that was rock bottom. I was just a naive summer child. 

17 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Although Mike Ashley can't be defended, and Although I can't stand Newcastle. 

But the stats it's a bit tricky, as prior to Mike Ashley, there were no Man City, Tottenham and Chelsea weren't the ones we know now. It was only top 3 (actually top 2, with Liverpool behind them).

Teams like us, Everton and the barcodes used to find it easy to stay up, well to stay top 10. PL wasn't like it is today. The quality has changed a lot. You could establish as a top 10 club. But once you get it wrong you might suffer and play for survival.

Yep, Do the same sheet for us/any team, last 12 years vs the 12 years before and for most it wouldn't look pretty

3 minutes ago, holtend4life said:

Stuck £5 on a double on SHA and Newcastle to be relegated at 26/1 just after Monk got sacked.

Should be a nice little payday come May.

I only got 12/1 😔

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You know, Alex McLeish doesn't get enough credit for how much of a class act he was (he did keep us up too). Never once said anything like this, despite literally coming to us directly from SHA after knocking us out of the cup with them the year before.

Genuine nice bloke. Media mentioned where he came from but he never spouted that crap

• Like 2

If we end up playing NUFC under Bruce I hope there is equal amounts of respect for him and what happened to his folks in that season he almost got us promoted - but also cabbages, lots of cabbages. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

If we end up playing NUFC under Bruce I hope there is equal amounts of respect for him and what happened to his folks in that season he almost got us promoted - but also cabbages, lots of cabbages. 

Villa fans were respectful to Bruce until he turned on us after playoff final

If anything i expect him to take digs at us before the games

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the problem being they're declining from a purple patch rather than declining from their natural footing, arguably inevitable, the 3 years prior to him buying them they had finished 13th, 7th and 14th in the league, played in Europe 3 times but twice thanks to the intertoto and reached 1 FA cup semi final, that graphic makes them look a lot better than what they were, the top four finishes were over 5 years before Ashley and when they still had shearer's goals

I personally would pitch them around 10th in the PL, when we were in the PL pre lerner's meltdown my barometer for villa was usually everton, Newcastle's to me is west ham and they were 7 points off them last year

That's a fair point. Glenn Roeder and Souness were managing them in the previous two seasons so they certainly weren't one of the prem big hitters still at that point.

I think like us Newcastle fans yearn for the mid 90s again when you could have a good summer transfer window and be finishing 2nd-5th without too much difficulty. Whole different ball game now I'm afraid.

They had a very good team under Sir Bobby aswell. Shearer and Bellamy upfront and likes of Solano, Laurent Robert, Gary Speed and Dyer across the midfield. Were brilliant to watch for a few years.

Â