Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I think that is part of the problem

It's funny that clubs that aren't in debt or taking big risks are often seen to be doing it wrong. Look at Spurs, an absolute miracle that they are where they are without spending money on new players. Same with Newcastle, I don't like MA but to have them where they are with relatively little outlay is incredible. Spending the money on the right things (i.e. a good manager). Shame he's now let him leave. No doubt he didn't like Rafa's agent dictating to him what he should be paid so let him go to show him who's boss.

Its important to know your place I think. Newcastle are not going to challenge for Europe so mid table, full grounds and shovelling in the TV money is as good as its going to get. The investment needed to get into that top 6/7 would be immense, and obviously not guaranteed.

Edited by Genie

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

It's funny that clubs that aren't in debt or taking big risks are often seen to be doing it wrong. Look at Spurs, an absolute miracle that they are where they are without spending money on new players. Same with Newcastle, I don't like MA but to have them where they are with relatively little outlay is incredible. Spending the money on the right things (i.e. a good manager). Shame he's now let him leave. No doubt he didn't like Rafa's agent dictating to him what he should be paid so let him go to show him who's boss.

Its important to know your place I think. Newcastle are not going to challenge for Europe so mid table, full grounds and shovelling in the TV money is as good as its going to get. The investment needed to get into that top 6/7 would be immense, and obviously not guaranteed.

Exactly. Some clubs think it'll never happen to them, but both Leeds and Villa have found out what spending and failing can do.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

The problem with Newcastle is the Myth that it is a big club.

Yes they have 50000 passionate fans which is incredible in a town of approx 300000 but elsewhere???

Geordies are mad.They haven’t won a trophy for 50 years yet each season they get upset because they aren’t challenging!

I think Ashley has looked after the club quite well tbf.

With Gateshead which is basically Newcastle then it’s a population of 500000. The ethnic make up of the City is something like 95% white British, which also helps. They are no more passionate than anyone else, and apart from West Ham they are the most over hyped club in football . They are a well supported club, but they are only big in the North East. 

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

because they get big crowds they think they are a big club

I think they are too. Undoubtedly a big club, just an unsuccessful one. Like Leeds, Villa. Everton, Sunderland etc., though their run of lack of success is even worse. Being frank, winning stuff yonks ago doesn't qualify (IMO) anyone for being a big club. Attracting big crowds and winning/competing for stuff in recent memory is my criteria, but it's all subjective.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think they are too. Undoubtedly a big club, just an unsuccessful one. Like Leeds, Villa. Everton, Sunderland etc., though their run of lack of success is even worse. Being frank, winning stuff yonks ago doesn't qualify (IMO) anyone for being a big club. Attracting big crowds and winning/competing for stuff in recent memory is my criteria, but it's all subjective.

Yeah, I don't get the ''this is a big club and that isn't '' debate.

We have won nothing significant for many years and most of our success is pre war.

Our attendances are good, but not incredible. Does that make us a small club?

• Like 1

I would say a big club appeals to a lot of people.

So for me if your fan base exceeds the city boundaries then you can consider yourselves  a reasonable sized club.

Of it’s relative because Utd have millions of fans all round the world whereas Newcastle or us for that matter have considerably less fans country/worldwide.

This is why the Blues cannot consider themselves in any discussions like this....I mean you hardly meet a Blues fan that lives outside Birmingham do you...in fact they are proud about it 😂

Debate starting again after Gerrard apparently turning them down to stay at rangers

Good decision, he can't do much wrong at "plucky" rangers, finish 2nd and try and challenge as the underdog to Celtic, he'll get away with that for at least another year, whilst rightfully scouting well in league 1 and 2, or join Newcastle and be under pressure straight away to do something at a club sat doing nothing 

Its not about size, it's about reputation at this stage of your career, I don't see what Newcastle offers any aspiring manager (not sure what rafa saw in it tbf)

10 hours ago, blandy said:

I don’t particularly consider us as a big club any more.

• Like 1

I couldn’t give a flying **** about who’s a bigger club. It’s one of the most embarrassing conversations that’s had by supporters of any club, in my opinion.

But if a club, such as ourselves, who pride ourselves on our “history” have it pointed out that most of our honours have been achieved when colour photography was but a pipe dream, then Newcastle United who pride themselves on their attendances will have their general locale in relation to other clubs pointed out to them.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Newcastle like Villa will always be a tempting challenge for an ambitious manager. Potential is there and a starving fan base

Get it right and you are hero for life

And get it wrong you end up like shearer,roeder and padded.

I'd say rafa has been the biggest success since Robson 

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Hughton, surely. 

Sacked when they were 4 points off Europe midway through the season. 

Really feel for him generally, clearly a very good manager, just hasn't been given the opportunity. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Hughton, surely. 

Sacked when they were 4 points off Europe midway through the season. 

Really feel for him generally, clearly a very good manager, just hasn't been given the opportunity. 

Good point forgot about hughton. They should try get him back

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Pardew actually had highest finish since Sir Bobby left in 2004, 5th in that year Demba Ba and Papis Cisse scored loads.

Â