Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think he's the only reason they stayed in the league for the past two seasons.

The bottom end of the league isn't great. Finishing above the 3 clubs that went down this season is something any below average club with a below average manager should achieve IMO. And Newcastle/Rafa aren't below average.

6 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Never understood why people think Rafa is overrated. No one is saying he is the best manager in the world, but he is very very good at his job. His accomplishments over the years speak for themselves and getting Newcastle to 13th with that squad, that board and that owner is right up there and there were people saying he wasn't good enough to manage Villa a few years ago.

Eh. His job at Chelsea was overrated, Sarri did better and gets criticised. Finishing 5th with Napoli seems to go unnoticed, that's an abysmal season when the big names of Serie A were struggling too. Again, Sarri outdid him. 

His Championship signings were very good, and while he hasn't been given a tonne to spend, his Premier League signings have been poor.

• Like 1

Once their takeover goes ahead they'll either bring back Benitez or give the job to another top European manager. The new guys mean business, already talk of them buying Mbappe, Griezmann, Robben, Rodriguez and others, some of those seem pretty unrealistic but with these mega oil billionaires you never know. But on the other day they could be faced with a different reality, if the takeover doesn't go ahead.

32 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Was always on the cards. Rafa has had so promises broken by the club hierarchy, I’m surprised he’s lasted this long.

now he’s free, I see him as a better option for the vacant Chelsea manager role rather than Lampard (who, let’s face it, has only managed for one season and could do with another year at Derby at least to continue his development)

i know Benitez has already had a stint at Chelsea but he is a proven safe pair of hands with a big club. 

I think Chelsea would be absolutely mad not to go for Rafa in their current situation. The guy has really proven he’s the man who can get success out of a crisis (which, IMO, Chelsea are in). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Once their takeover goes ahead they'll either bring back Benitez or give the job to another top European manager. The new guys mean business, already talk of them buying Mbappe, Griezmann, Robben, Rodriguez and others, some of those seem pretty unrealistic but with these mega oil billionaires you never know. But on the other day they could be faced with a different reality, if the takeover doesn't go ahead.

Is their takeover actually happening then? The last I heard it sounded like it was a load of fantasists spinning a delusion, but I admit I haven't been following the story at all. 

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Mike Ashley is not going to sell a cash cow. It is never ever ever going to happen whilst they are a PL club

( Admittedly it won't be a cash cow when they go down but he is a gambler and he will take that risk)

• Like 1

The group wanting to buy them have set up a company on companies house called 'Monochrome', and some of Ashley's companies on there have been dissolved. It still might not happen, but I think it's a lot closer to happening than it has been previously

Not convinced their takeover will now happen, without Rafa they are a very different club to buy. Think Ashley has played the fans again, did anyone see the story where all the sports direct signs were removed? Spun as him leaving but I bet they’re just updating the logo. How cruel! 

Their squad isn't actually that much weaker than most other Premier league sides, I certainly wouldn't have them anywhere near favorites for relegation, as it stands ourselves, Norwich, Sheffield United, and Brighton will all be expected to finish below them. Besides if the people looking at them have as much money as is being proclaimed they won't care whether Benitez is there or not, or indeed what the squad looks like, because they know they will have the money to fix it.

52 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Never understood why people think Rafa is overrated. No one is saying he is the best manager in the world, but he is very very good at his job. His accomplishments over the years speak for themselves and getting Newcastle to 13th with that squad, that board and that owner is right up there and there were people saying he wasn't good enough to manage Villa a few years ago.

apart from pre-klopp Liverpool when their fans were....

and the not good enough for villa comments are skewed by the rumour that he wanted 30m to spend on the squad (!) so he wasn't good enough to manage what we had

he's ok, he's not top tier, he's not even 2nd tier for me, his level is that of a team that will do well in the EL and flirt with 4th

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

The bottom end of the league isn't great. Finishing above the 3 clubs that went down this season is something any below average club with a below average manager should achieve IMO. And Newcastle/Rafa aren't below average.

Newcastle’s squad is dreadful and he’s been given next to no money to improve it. 

95% of managers would have gone down with that Newcastle team the past two seasons. 

Â