Christian Benteke

Kwan

Neither. Spurs can't really come out and say they want him because even though everybody knows he's been tapped up* they can't come out and say they want him and wont meet the valuation and want us to lower that valuation as its just too blatantly tapping up.

So instead they, like us, will be drip feeding their stance to the media both local and national to get the point across. 

*Tapping Up: Every club does it, we do it, Spurs do it, everyone. So lets not bitch and whinge about it. Of course he's been tapped up. But we tapped up Bent and probably every other player we've signed. We would'nt bother putting bids in for players unless we knew they would come. And you don't know they will come unless you ask them first.

Can someone please tell me how we know anyone from Spurs has tapped Benteke up?

Front page of The Sun and Mirror.

Front Page?

Thanks Con but it all could be pure speculation in the same way we don't really know why Benteke has asked for a transfer.

Can someone please tell me how we know anyone from Spurs has tapped Benteke up

We don't have any proof Morph, but Kismet is such a plank that he couldn't have made it any more obvious if he tried. Why though would Spurs tap up a player who's going to cost them at least £45 million over the next 4 years?

Such a deal would be way out of their comfort zone and would ruin Levy's carefully developed negotiating stance with other clubs. Also what about the queue of agents representing unhappy players banging on his door when they hear about Benteke's wage deal? 

I agree VB. An approach may have been made to trigger the transfer request and if that is so then it may not have come from Levy for the reasons you have stated.

However Kismet may have been the trigger thinking that he and his client would get a better deal elsewhere striking when the iron is hot although he very well might have misinterpreted the market for Benteke at this time. Too many fingers burnt on one season wonders which not only might influence interested clubs in meeting our valuation for Benteke but also having those interested clubs paying the wages he may want.

While i didn't agree with the arrogance shown by 'joey55' he did however make a very good point in stating that we are currently reacting to media speculation rather than waiting for something more solid to emerge.

For me questions which need answering are, why Benteke has asked for a transfer? Was he illegally approached and if so by whom?  

Its media shit isn't it. I don't think anything is going to be done in a hurry. As for loyalty its bollocks, because the club wouldn't show loyalty to a player who isn't performing so why should we expect a player who has been with us less than a year to show loyalty.

We would'nt bother putting bids in for players unless we knew they would come. And you don't know they will come unless you ask them first.

What happened with the Dempsey bid?

We would'nt bother putting bids in for players unless we knew they would come. And you don't know they will come unless you ask them first.

I honestly don't think for a second we thought Dempsey would actually come here. I think it was a bluff to hurry along Benteke's transfer. I could be wrong but I don't think I am

• Like 1

I can understand that Spuds could not talk about it before but now he has asked for a transfer and we said he can go if a suitable offer comes in it can now be spoken about publically, even to come out and say we want him, villa want x we want to pay y, I can not see the need to put it in the press, if anything it will stiffen our resolve and be counterproductive.

I honestly don't think for a second we thought Dempsey would actually come here. I think it was a bluff to hurry along Benteke's transfer. I could be wrong but I don't think I am

Yep that is a distinct possibility but i have always answered that by asking what if Dempsey had actually said yes? If it was a bluff bid then it would have undermined the manager and embarrassed the club having to then retract the bid. 

I think iam starting to dislike Tottenham more than Liverpool and the red mancs, And i hate thoses two with passio

If you want to join the People's Front of Aston, you have to really hate the Yids!

I'd be surprised if anyone but Chelsea meet our valuation of what the player is worth. Spurs have reportedly offered a bunch of deadwood which is an absolute joke. The asking price which is rumoured to be £25-30million or bugger off.

I don't think anything will be done before Villa are back from Germany though.

The quote about Villa expecting Benteke to still be a Villa player come the start of the season just makes me think the valuation is higher than £25 million.

• Like 1

Of course he was tapped up. Why hand in a transfer request unless your fairly certain that someone else is extremely interested in obtaining your services especially in a WC lead up year. It's pretty clear that Spurs are the suitor and Chelsea, Arsenal Liverpool, Dortmund and any other clubs are merely smokescreens to drive up the price and force Tottenham to act. I would also be willing to guess that the information was passed along through a Belgian teammate (Dembele/Vertonghen).

Maybe Spurs can afford Benteke after all

Real Madrid produce mocked up Gareth Bale No.11 shirt as they step up attempts to land Tottenham star

11 Jul 2013 11:56

Spurs up asking price for Welsh wonder to £130m while Real pull out all the stops to bring Bale to the Bernabeu this summer

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/real-madrid-transfers-gareth-bale-2044495#ixzz2YldPA5rT 
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

Edited by Con

Gotta laugh at Spuds, delusional average team, player swaps they have offered - hilarious. they just dont get it do they. they are an aging team we are a young growing team, if they splash the cash for CB then they will have no money to replace the overpaid pensioners, they are a team who will be in decline, a mid table team average at best. They need to sell Bale really, if not now then next year to finance a new squad. If CB can not see this then he deserves them. Put it this way, even after the last season I would rather be us than them, if PL can get rid of the rest of the big earners then we really will be going places. Spuds are where we were 4 years ago, they will have to go through a bit of what we have had, it may not be as bad but it will be a downturn in fortunes.

Off topic, but here's our starting line-up for next season, as it stands:

Lloris (26)

Walker (23) Kaboul (27) Vertonghen (26) Rose (23)

Paulinho (24) Sandro (24) Dembele (25)

Lennon (26) Adebayor (29) Bale (23)

Subs: Caulker (21) Dawson (29) Holtby (22) Townsend (21) Carroll (21) Naughton (24) Sigurdsson (23) Friedel (42) Defoe (31) Dempsey (30) Parker (32) Huddlestone (26) BAE (29)

Of the above the one's we're looking to shift are the ageing players (obviously), our oldest first 11 player is under 30, the average age of the first 11 is 25. Basically it's a squad full of players in their prime.

Edited by TartarugaJones

Has he been tapped up though, everything he said at the end of the season totally goes against him joining Spuds, could it be a club asked about him and were told not for sale and the agent told him the only way you will leave is to put the transfer request in. (I do believe he was tapped up but playing devils advocate)

Â