Christian Benteke

Kwan

Apology accepted.

Why can't I make it work. :( Edited about a hundred times now.

Maybe the S in the URL you used (https). Testing:

Edit: Seems to work. Maybe it was the S or maybe it just doesn't like you :)

Edited by tarjei

Not sure if already posted (mods, please delete if it has been)

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has denied the club is in contract talks with Christian Benteke, insisting that the striker's future will not be discussed until Villa's Premier League survival is secured.

The 22-year-old Belgian's goal against Stoke City last weekend nudged him a step closer to becoming the first Villa player to score 20 league goals in a season since Peter Withe 32 years ago, but Lambert says that neither party has pushed for negotiations to begin.

Lambert said: "I think the most important thing is the league until the end of the season, I heard somebody say he's been promised a new contract but I can't have been a part of those conversations. I speak to him all the time, not about contracts, I just tell him to keep it going really. And he's never once mentioned anything to me about contracts.

"He's got a contract here anyway as it stands, but I think it's important we stay in this league and do as well as we've been doing. As I said before I've never had one conversation with him regarding contracts or anything like that, he's not that type of lad. I'm sure come the end of the season we'll sit down and it'll be just Chris and a few others."

Lambert also praised the development of the Belgian hitman since he joined the club last northern summer and says the fact that Withe's record has stood for as long as it has is a mark of the impact the man signed from Genk has had.

"If you have to go back that far it shows how good he's been. Nobody visualised he was going to do what he has when he first came in, but the big guys been fantastic.

"He's the one that does it, he's the one that plays the game, he's the one that goes out there every week and he's been a credit to himself and to the football team - that's the main thing. I'd like to see him continue doing what he's been doing and as for the rest we'll see what happens."

Benteke has now scored four goals in his last four games. That run has seen Villa come away with three wins, moving it three points clear of the relegation zone in the process.

A home win against Fulham this weekend would see it move just three points below the Cottagers who currently sit in 11th.

Link

Edited by ozvillafan

Yesterday also quoting Lambert will only start negotiations at 25m + which is good to hear. I don't think i'd sell him for 25m though... we seen what happened when we sold milner for 18 + stephen ireland. Massively downhill.

I think Lambert is doing it right, Wait for the end of the season then offer him a new contract. Andi needs a contract asap though.

Yeah, I think we want to be safe first, before we start to negotiate contracts. Or even talk about them. We need to get the work for this season done before we can properly start to plan for the next.

In that article, Lambert was actually taking a dig at Bentekes agent mouthing off. He also said they will be sitting down at the end of the season, so we will be in talks with him. Love how its twisted.

Also, if i were Spurs or Arsenal, would i be willing to pay 25m or more on a player that has only had one season in the premier?

Because thats how much Lambert has indicated he would cost, and i would want to see if he progresses next season before spending big bucks on a player. Another reason why he will be still with us next term ;)

Offer him £60k a week and put in a release clause of £24m. That way everyone gets what they want and if for some reason Benteke pulls a wobbly on us like he did with Genk we can still hold out for the release clause price.

Putting players onto wages like that has got us into trouble.. He has had a very good season for but worthy of a 300% increase, for probably just an extra yr on the contract? I would've thought a 50% increase, with more performance related increases would be better.

Yesterday also quoting Lambert will only start negotiations at 25m + which is good to hear. I don't think i'd sell him for 25m though... we seen what happened when we sold milner for 18 + stephen ireland. Massively downhill.

I think Lambert is doing it right, Wait for the end of the season then offer him a new contract. Andi needs a contract asap though.

Much as I like - for a player with 1 good season in the prem - id be very tempted @ £25m.

Offer him £60k a week and put in a release clause of £24m. That way everyone gets what they want and if for some reason Benteke pulls a wobbly on us like he did with Genk we can still hold out for the release clause price.

Putting players onto wages like that has got us into trouble.. He has had a very good season for but worthy of a 300% increase, for probably just an extra yr on the contract? I would've thought a 50% increase, with more performance related increases would be better.

True, though I say we've been more stung by bringing players from other clubs on high wages that haven't earnt it.  With Benteke it's a reward for being so good with us and shows a desire and ambition to keep him.  I should think the overall wage structure of the club will be pretty solid next season allowing us to give Benteke a pay rise of some sort.

Why is anyone willing to accept £25 million in exchange for a player that will get you 20 goals next season?

I'd rather have the goals because we can't spend £25m in the current market to replace those 20 goals.

At least, we pretend we can't. Lambert probably can but they don't know that.  :D

Also, if i were Spurs or Arsenal, would i be willing to pay 25m or more on a player that has only had one season in the premier?

Liverpool would probably throw 50 million at us.  :D

Considering the massive injection of cash most premier league teams will get next year this isnt unlikely. A lot of clubs will have a lot of cash to throw around and prices will no doubt be hugely inflated.

Same thing with players wages. 60K wont be a whole lot.

Â