Christian Benteke

Kwan

This is one of the worst villa defences I've ever seen.

It is.

But defending is collective. Lambert identified that in January and wanted to put it right by bringing in some experience at the back and central midified. Who let him down?

How can anyone claim two of them are successful signings?

When was the last time we conceded 60 league goals in a season? And that's with Guzan being world class.

Such a simplistic view on things. Let's not forget that that area has been plagued by injuries (we once had to play Herd and Clark at CB) and it's also had a poor midfield in front of it. Also, I'm pretty sure tactics may have something to do with it.

I'm surprised by the criticism of Vlaar. I think he's had a very good first season in a tough league playing alongside kids. In addition to that he has been made captain and thrown straight in to a relegation battle. Our worst spell this season came when he was injured.

As for Bentake, if the kid wants to leave in the summer and a big offer comes in. I don't think any owner would be able to refuse. The key thing is it will be criminal if the funds aren't reinvested in new players.

• Like 1

When was the last time we conceded 60 league goals in a season? And that's with Guzan being world class.

Such a simplistic view on things. Let's not forget that that area has been plagued by injuries (we once had to play Herd and Clark at CB) and it's also had a poor midfield in front of it. Also, I'm pretty sure tactics may have something to do with it.

Its a simplistic view because its quite simple.

If you let in a record breaking number of goals when your keeper is a contender for your player of the year then there's no way you can claim any defender has been good.

The defence is a unit and Lamberts put together an awful one.

Lets be realistic, since Vlaar returned from injury we have improved dramatically in defence, yes its tactics, yes its more protection from midfield but also lets not discount the organising and advice vlaar gives to the defence. we may see him make the odd mistake but at least we are now defending set pieces and looking like a unit. How much of this is down to him can be argued but the statistics are in his favour.

• Like 1

Vlaar has made 21 appearances in the league this season. In those games we've conceded 37 goals. That's 1.76 goals conceded every game.

Since he's return in Jan we've conceded 14 goals in the 8 games he's played in. That's 1.75 goals conceded a game.

Our overall record is 59 goals conceded in 32 games. That's 1.84 goals conceded a game.

I'm not sure the statistics are in his favour.

Vlaar has made 21 appearances in the league this season. In those games we've conceded 37 goals. That's 1.76 goals conceded every game.

Since he's return in Jan we've conceded 14 goals in the 8 games he's played in. That's 1.75 goals conceded a game.

Our overall record is 59 goals conceded in 32 games. That's 1.84 goals conceded a game.

I'm not sure the statistics are in his favour.

Well, if you included the stats for how we fared when he's been injured we may be able to judge on that.

OT, Benteke is only 2 goals behind Bale and Michu and 4 behind Van Persie. What an impressive season he's having. 

if we stay up and benteke goes in the summer, whilst it'll be heartbreaking to see him go, he'll make us somewhere close to £10m in profit over his initial £7m fee and he will have played a massive part in us getting the ew tv money which is worth tens of millions to us. i can't think of a better recent signing, in fact we can't have made many better signings in terms of the finincial side ever.

i'd like to think he'd stay with us for another season at least though if we do stay up. with some investment in the summer continuing PLs project we coudl be a good side next year.

He's going nowhere this summer if we stay up. That's unless a ridiculous sum of money is offered ie. + £40m.

Let's be clear, spurs can **** right off with £15m. Cheeky words removed

• Like 1

Benteke's goal would be raved about if it wasn't for Lowton scoring a screamer. The big lad did great and showed a real cool head when one on one with the keeper. He had 3 teammates that he could have passed it off to, to relieve the pressure off himself but he had the bottle to take the shot and score - well done to Christian for that!

In a shit season where a lot has been wrong in our team, this guy has been a shining light. The most exciting player I have seen at Villa since Dwight Yorke. My dream right now is that Benteke stays with us and Lerner gets his courage back and allows Lambert, or someone else if he feels he needed that, the funds to build a new defence and midfield to compliment the great strike force we currently have.

A team of decent defenders, together with a big strong defensive midfielder, a creative playmaker and a good attacking midfielder and we would be challenging for Europe again.

Big fella, you are going to be a legend at this football club!

If we sell him for anything under £20m it will be very poor business by us. I think we say to him, i you want to go to a bigger side we'll let you - a bigger side should want you enough to pay £30m, if they don't, you're staying. 

We don't have to sell this summer, next summer could be more difficult, but we hold all the cards if someone out there wants him.

• Like 1

if villa stays up im pretty sure benteke wil stay for another season.

he said he's happy to be a villain and he wants to repay lambert for giving him the chanse to play in his favourite league.

Edited by Belgian guy
  • Like 2

he said he's happy to be a villain and he wants to repay lambert for giving him the chanse to play in his favourite league.

How often have we heard that from footballers, eh.

How often have we heard that from footballers, eh.

Hopefully Benteke just speaks his mind... he certainly did when he first joined and then did "that" interview about Arsenal.

Its a simplistic view because its quite simple.

If you let in a record breaking number of goals when your keeper is a contender for your player of the year then there's no way you can claim any defender has been good.

The defence is a unit and Lamberts put together an awful one.

Why not? Lowton's been very good and Vlaar's been decent, it's just that we've been plagued by injuries at the back and the likes of Clark and Bennett have been poor. They also have had a poor midfield in front of them AND Lambert is a lot less defensive than McLeish, which is one of the reasons why we've conceded more goals.

Going by your warped logic you can't say Weimann or Benteke have been good either due to the low number of goals the team have scored this season.

Edited by Mantis

I love Benteke, but I'm not sure he's as good a player yet as Angel was in his prime. I know his prime lasted only a season and a half, but I'm throwing that out there.

Please tell me you're joking?

That said that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I never really rated JPA - he wasn't a bad finisher, but was just too much of a fairy for my liking!

• Like 1

Â