Christian Benteke

Kwan

54 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sun article mentioning Drinkwater says in bold only 2 loans so what's this last clause on PL official page? I don't understand

With the exception of Welsh clubs competing in the competitions listed under Rule V.6.2, loans from a club in membership of another National Association do not count towards the above quotas.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/464747

I think players from abroad don’t count. So the Premier League website is correct and The Sun is wrong. But I’m never certain of anything these days...

• Like 1

Benteke back in his Villa days would basically assist his own goals to keep us in the league. It’s remarkable how much he’s fallen. I just can’t believe he hasn’t got it in his locker anymore.

Part of me thinks being back here will rejuvenate him. The other part says he’s past it and even if he does come back here it’s an entirely different squad, management and ownership. Not much is the same. 

Benteke is finished. The bloke has scored 4 goals in 3 seasons, I'm seriously struggling to understand why people want him back. Like I said in the transfer thread, him returning like he is now would ruin the memories so a big no from me. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'd **** hate to sign a 29 year with far too many injuries had and 4 goals in last 3 seasons and I thought that would be majority opinion but clearly not

Dunno, a lot of people here seem to agree with you too.

But the way I see it, we're not exactly flush options and we're also signing a highly promising child who may mature into an excellent striker in 2-3 years, so the fact Benteke will be over the hill in a few years doesn't bother me so much.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's perfectly valid to question whether he'll be able to deliver for us based on his form over the past few years. I just think form is temporary and class is permanent, and for strikers a lot just comes down to confidence and outright blind luck.

But yeah, he'd be a roll of the dice.

• Like 1

Better of taking a risk on someone like Mcauley Bonne. He was absolutely devastating in the Conference and doesn't seem to have lost any confidence in the championship this season.

Benteke isn't even fit to come in and play for Villa now, he's injured yet again and he'll just continue to keep picking up injury after injury as he's not got the match fitness and to get it we'll have to throw him in at the deep end which is just going to be too much too soon and have him picking up niggles again. 

38 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Benteke back in his Villa days would basically assist his own goals to keep us in the league. It’s remarkable how much he’s fallen. I just can’t believe he hasn’t got it in his locker anymore.

Yeah, this I how I feel too. I seem to remember there were extended periods where people called him the "Belgian Heskey" back in the day too, because he was crap for us for a while too. I mean, he can't have just forgotten how to play football, right?

If we're going to give someone an extended run in the first team then the ideal is a proven PL quality striker - problem is there don't seem to be any of them on the table right now.

In the absence of that it's a question of whether you get someone trying to recapture past glories or someone trying to deliver on unproven talents, and I'm not necessarily averse to the first option.

Edit: Rose tinted glasses aside, I'm quite a bit less keen if he is indeed currently injured as the poster above said. It's important whoever we get is able to slot into the team now.

Edited by Panto_Villan

23 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Benteke is finished. The bloke has scored 4 goals in 3 seasons, I'm seriously struggling to understand why people want him back. Like I said in the transfer thread, him returning like he is now would ruin the memories so a big no from me. 

Pretty much this. And I thought he was **** legendary when wearing our shirt.

Completely speaking from the heart rather than the head but bring him home, he's been crap for years but he didn't just become a crap player. His confidence is shot. He needs to be loved, might give him a second wind coming back. I'd take him over Glen Murray. He has a unique track record of keeping villa up. 

We need to do what Tim Sherwood did for him. He couldn't hit a barn door in the last few months of Lambert's reign, but Sherwood put an arm around him, played to his strengths and completely rejuvenated him and turned him into the deadliest striker in the league at that period.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kiltorken said:

Completely speaking from the heart rather than the head but bring him home, he's been crap for years but he didn't just become a crap player. His confidence is shot. He needs to be loved, might give him a second wind coming back. I'd take him over Glen Murray. He has a unique track record of keeping villa up

1. He has been crap for years so he has become crap or do words have no meaning?

2. What does that even mean? 

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We need to do what Tim Sherwood did for him. He couldn't hit a barn door in the last few months of Lambert's reign, but Sherwood put an arm around him, played to his strengths and completely rejuvenated him and turned him into the deadliest striker in the league at that period.

Yeah Roy Hodgson can't get a tune out of him last 3 seasons but just needs arm around him. Absolute simplistic nonsense

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yeah Roy Hodgson can't get a tune out of him last 3 seasons but just needs arm around him. Absolute simplistic nonsense

He doesn't play him and/or he's injured. I'm also talking about in the event we actually sign him which is all speculation right now. I wouldn't even want to sign him in the first place. But if it does happen, then I think theres still a bit of gas left in the tank there.

14 minutes ago, AndyC said:

No way this will happen, the board and DS would have officially lost their minds if it does. Chasing nostalgia always ends in disappointment. 

I would've had Whittingham back from GT Mk II letting him go sooner than Benteke back 😄

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

1. He has been crap for years so he has become crap or do words have no meaning?

2. What does that even mean? 

If you read my whole post it alluded to him suffering from confidence issues causing him to appear crap rather than him actually losing his football abilities. 

Do you understand? Apologies it was such a complex piece I wrote. 

Villa shouldn’t be even contemplating bringing Benteke back due to his recent record with Palace including his injury record.

Personally I don’t even think he’s on the radar of the club with one duff signing already up front with Wesley.

I think Smith is looking for a completely different type of striker as he already has two target men albeit both injured.

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

Part of me thinks being back here will rejuvenate him. The other part says he’s past it and even if he does come back here it’s an entirely different squad, management and ownership. Not much is the same. 

I don't rate the Palace team for him, Zaha loves to hold the ball for way too long and they don't cross the ball enough. I think he still might have it in him, either way I need to see it.

• Like 1

Â