Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think because I can't see him staying long I find it harder to love him like past forwards.

Never thought Dion Dublin would leave for better things and loved him!! Never thought Carew would go on to better things and loved him!!

With Benteke I obviously enjoy watching him and think he's great but his inevitable move away from here makes it harder to really fall in love with him (in a non homosexual way)

He's clearly hoping for the club to progress, why else would he stay for (if he indeed does). I think as long as the club moves forward we will have no problem keeping our top players. Fumbling around the relegation zone is what will deter them, keep the faith BJ10!

We should sell him while his price is sky high just incase he has a shit season next year.

I was also thinking about this KHV.

If the rumour (tweet) is correct and we are in the Premiership next season, Benteke apparently wants to stay with us for another season.

Yet it is a worry that we might have a one season wonder on our hands and his recent form would suggest that maybe Premiership teams are beginning to work out how to handle him? His current value would then certainly drop if his present form continues into next season.

If a bid in excess of 20m came in for him during the summer it would probably be considered by the club rather than being thrown out right away and i think both manager and chairman would be right to consider it. It should only be considered though if the full revenue from the sale of Benteke is ploughed straight back into team strengthening rather than the chairman's pocket.

Personally i'd love the club to be able to keep Benteke and to actually build a team around him as he has oozed that special comodity for most of the season, class, which generally promotes progression.

The difficulty is that for us to keep him beyond another season, the chairman will have to reinvest in the team on a level with the MON era to push for euro and CL qualification and that is something i just cannot see happening at the club for the foreseeable future unless we get a new owner. 

Some good points made-I would disagree that teams have or even could work out how to handle him.His style of play is very hard to counter-He is deceptively skillfull on the ball and almost impossible to knockoff which enables him to take on and get past players in the box-Defenders bounce off him,the set up for the 1st goal against Man U is the best example of this & some of his long range efforts are also the stuff that defences can't counter.

If anything,there maybe some mileage in him being a bit jaded as the season draws to a close.He didn't arrive here till the last day of August and a good pre-season in the summer is more likely to see a better player next season than it is for him to turn into a one season wonder.

I'd be surprised if we hit gold again and signed an unknown player who turns out to be as good as Benteke in his first season.

I've a theory about this. Lamberts team will score goals with formation he plays. Young up and coming strikers will know this and come as they will be guaranteed both supply/game time and chance to make a name like benteke. Benteeke will know this as well and will stay for another year to help him improve and gain more hype

All depends on us staying in prem though

I feel a bit torn about Benteke. I think he is a fantastic talent with loads of potential and, while I would love to see him play for Villa for a few seasons yet, I would also love to see what he could do in a really good team with decent support from the midfield. 

There's no way that we are going to be able to build the sort of team his talent deserves and the prospect for him if he stays may be another season of helping us stave off relegation and looking head and shoulders above the rest of the team.  While that may be good for his ego, it won't be so good for his development as a footballer nor his career.

So, actually, if a really good offer came in from a top club, I think he would be wise to take it.

Although I think he has had a great first season, people talking about offers in excess of £20 million r about 8 million miles away! That's putting him in the same bracket as rvp. Lets not forget we did pay 7 million for him which is not cheap. I personally think he is a long way of being top 4 material yet

Although I think he has had a great first season, people talking about offers in excess of £20 million r about 8 million miles away! That's putting him in the same bracket as rvp. Lets not forget we did pay 7 million for him which is not cheap. I personally think he is a long way of being top 4 material yet

Van Persie only went for such a small fee because he only had a year left on his contract.

Bale won both Pfa awards tonight. Unlucky Christian.

Didn't even know that was possible and pretty unfair to be honest, but indeed unlucky Christian, guess the standard PFA award will have to make do next year!

No way would we get 20m.

14 - 15m max atm.!

If we stayed up then why wouldn't we get at least £20m?

Because hes still relatively unproven.

He'd still easily fetch £20m if we stayed up.

Didn't even know that was possible and pretty unfair to be honest, but indeed unlucky Christian, guess the standard PFA award will have to make do next year!
Why unfair??

Don't think anyone expected him (cb) to win in all honestly.

Interesting article on Bbc about top scorers and how they have had an affect on the teams points. Cb gets a large mention

Edited by mikeyp102

No way would we get 20m.

14 - 15m max atm.!

If we stayed up then why wouldn't we get at least £20m?

Because hes still relatively unproven.

He'd still easily fetch £20m if we stayed up.

No way! He's worth at least 2 Downings! :D

I didn't expect him to win it but I think its wrong to award both awards to the same player unless its a Villa player like in 77

• Like 1

Â