Christian Benteke

Kwan

I stand by my Angel comparison. For that one season he was absolutely wonderful. He didn't have Benteke's strength but he was his equal in every other department, marginally better in the air and much more a team player.

I love Benteke, what a superb find. I think he's going to be a superstar, I really do. Love watching him for the Villa, scoring goals for the Villa. He's got hero potential... but he's not one yet.

Neither was Angel in the eyes of the majority, that's kind of my point.

I stand by my Angel comparison. For that one season he was absolutely wonderful. He didn't have Benteke's strength but he was his equal in every other department, marginally better in the air and much more a team player.

I love Benteke, what a superb find. I think he's going to be a superstar, I really do. Love watching him for the Villa, scoring goals for the Villa. He's got hero potential... but he's not one yet.

I preface this with the fact that I loved JPA. But there are key differences between the 2 deals. Firstly, we bought a 26 year old JPA who had done his maturing elsewhere. Also, Benteke's game is far more suited to the Premier League. You can't 'learn' how to outmuscle him. He won't suffer 2nd season syndrome because his attributes are undefendable. JPA relied on skill and flair but unfortunately if you study his game you could limit his effectiveness to a point. He wasn't as tailor-made for the Prem as Benteke is. If he keeps us up this season while scoring 20+ goals then I think we'll need to talk about what the word 'hero' entails because he'll be damn close. If he signs a contract extension with us and stays with us for a 2nd season with some monster suitors chasing him then I think that'll tip him over the edge of hero.
  • Like 1

Angel was hampered hugely but not having anybody explain the offisde rule to him

Another similarity then.

I think Benteke is a cracker. I guess I'm stating the obvious in a convoluted way, should he start next season 0 for 10 it will be "what have you done for me lately", as it always is.

Fickle bunch etc etc...

Being as Lambert is adamant that he does stay, a new contract extension could be a signal of intent in regards to the board backing him.

Really hope Lerner let's him build the team around Benteke now by bringing in some more class come July.

This all depends on staying up of course, but I'm confident we will.

A poster that usually talks sense, I'm afraid doug you will stand by your comparison alone in a field wearing an Angel shirt - I loved him, but he's not a patch on Benteke for me - the kid will reach heights Angel could never reach (and I'm not talking about his height!) ;)

Yeah I genuinely don't see anything that angel had that Benteke can't do.

Come from Columbia, therefore be South American, and therefore bound to be a flair player...

That's true. He also had long hair and had a hair band so that also adds to it.

Or take it up the arse.

You are Stefan Posthma and I claim teh interweb as my prize.

Don't be ridiculous.

You don't win, we've all known this for months.

• Like 2

Why do we always double players wages?

Can't we just say 'you're on 20k now, have another 5/10k?'

who negotiates!? :lol: they are rubbish.

Flight of the conchords fans will know about dave's double down deal, double it...double it again...sold!

• Like 1

Â