Christian Benteke

Kwan

When setting their minimum sale value, Villa should remember that one of the clubs supposedly interested in Benteke spent £35m on Andy Carroll some 4 years ago. Whilst Carroll is english, it's not like Benteke has the disadvantage of disappearing off to the African Cup midseason.

With Benteke being a much more complete player than Carroll and the dramatically increased TV money, I'd demand from Liverpool double what they paid in 2011 for Carroll and a mere £50m for cash from any other club. I'd like to be Tom Fox when dealing with Liverpool's squeals over our ridiculously high valuation. I'd say "Well you started it in January 2011!"

• Like 1

Please let's not have another Barry type saga endlessly yo-yo ing for weeks.

If he wants to go, let him go in June which would give us adequate time to get in replacements for the start of the season. I wouldn't begrudge him it if he scores the cup final winner.

We kept Barry for an extra 12 months sold him for the same money and he went to a more successful club so it was a win win. I'd take that if that's what you mean by another Barry!!

• Like 1

If we win the cup with him in the team, he's a villa legend in my eyes if he stays or not. He's pretty much kept us up twice on his own, I almost want him to test himself at the highest level.

This term `legend' gets bandied about far too easily. Benteke has been here 3? seasons, with the avowed intention right from the beginning that he was using us as a stepping stone to a better Premier League club. Hardly the stuff of legend in my opinion.

• Like 3

Anyone got any proper links to reliable sources indicating that he is off?

Or is it all just newspaper shit as usual.

Newspaper bullshit with a generous sprinkling of fans paranoia and speculation/opinion dressed as fact. Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 2

If we win the cup with him in the team, he's a villa legend in my eyes if he stays or not. He's pretty much kept us up twice on his own, I almost want him to test himself at the highest level.

This term `legend' gets bandied about far too easily. Benteke has been here 3? seasons, with the avowed intention right from the beginning that he was using us as a stepping stone to a better Premier League club. Hardly the stuff of legend in my opinion.

If you win things time isnt relative. Peter Withe was here 5 years, Gabby's been here over 10.

The most depressing thing about this whole "where will he go" nonsense. Is not that the press take part, it's to be expected from those quarters, but that so many Villa fans discuss it as if it's a given . Where's the pride, we are not a F***ing feeder club to the likes of Liverpool or anyone else for that matter. He's under contract for the next two years, so they can all do one.

I don't really know what point you are trying to make here.

Nobody wants Benteke to leave. That much is obvious.

But most of us are aware to what modern football is like. And that is if a player is as good as Benteke, then bigger clubs want him. If bigger clubs want him, then the sad reality is that he'll PROBABLY (and only probably) leave us.

That's not fans not having pride, tat's fans being realistic. It's all well and good saying he's under contract, but you know as well as I do that that tends to mean **** all if a player wants to go. That merely dictates the fee we'll receive.

It's nothign to do with pride. There could be a grimsby town fan who is the proudest fan in the entire universe, but if they have an amazing player at their club does it make him lack pride if he discusses the reality of that player leaving? Or does he blindly imagine him to spend his career at grimsby?

An extreme example, but please don't belittle the rest of us by implying that we lack pride because we discuss the entirely realistic possibility that a player with the talent of Benteke will leave Villa for another club. There's a difference between pride and delusion.

Sorry mate, but I don't consider clubs from smaller cities than us as bigger.More successful at the moment maybe, but never bigger.It's everything to do with pride. I'm reading on here Villa fans mulling over which club they would prefer him to leave us for, Jesus wept.It's not delusional to regard the largest club, in the Second largest city in Britain, former European Champions, and one of the proudest names in the game to tell the Scousers and Cockneys or anybody else to piss off if they want to poach our players. Dean Saunders once said that " Villa are bigger than Liverpool, they just don't know it." Maybe, but there's no need for our fans to accept a status as second raters so meekly.As far as I'm concerned, Christian Benteke is a player contracted to my club. Anybody interested in signing him can take a running jump off the nearest cliff.  Using Grimsby as an example , for our own position ,is beyond comment by the way.

Edited by meregreen

The most depressing thing about this whole "where will he go" nonsense. Is not that the press take part, it's to be expected from those quarters, but that so many Villa fans discuss it as if it's a given . Where's the pride, we are not a F***ing feeder club to the likes of Liverpool or anyone else for that matter. He's under contract for the next two years, so they can all do one.

We are, though.  I mean, sure, it's depressing, but that's exactly the sort of thing that happens.  It's not really a bad thing if we're aspiring to develop as per, say, Swansea and Southampton.  Sometimes you need to sell to "bigger clubs" and re-invest in your squad.

Definitely not a given that Benteke is leaving, mind.  I'd love him to stay.  He's in a good place for his football right now.  However, money and more prestige does talk...

They may be richer. That does not though equate to bigger. Swansea and Southampton are certainly not clubs I would aspire to. We are Aston Villa, we are better than them.

But most of us are aware to what modern football is like. And that is if a player is as good as Benteke, then bigger clubs want him. If bigger clubs want him, then the sad reality is that he'll PROBABLY (and only probably) leave us.

That's not fans not having pride, tat's fans being realistic. It's all well and good saying he's under contract, but you know as well as I do that that tends to mean **** all if a player wants to go. That merely dictates the fee we'll receive.

It's nothign to do with pride. There could be a grimsby town fan who is the proudest fan in the entire universe, but if they have an amazing player at their club does it make him lack pride if he discusses the reality of that player leaving? Or does he blindly imagine him to spend his career at grimsby?

An extreme example, but please don't belittle the rest of us by implying that we lack pride because we discuss the entirely realistic possibility that a player with the talent of Benteke will leave Villa for another club. There's a difference between pride and delusion.

Sorry mate, but I don't consider clubs from smaller cities than us as bigger.More successful at the moment maybe, but never bigger.It's everything to do with pride. I'm reading on here Villa fans mulling over which club they would prefer him to leave us for, Jesus wept.It's not delusional to regard the largest club, in the Second largest city in Britain, former European Champions, and one of the proudest names in the game to tell the Scousers and Cockneys or anybody else to piss off if they want to poach our players. Dean Saunders once said that " Villa are bigger than Liverpool, they just don't know it." Maybe, but there's no need for our fans to accept a status as second raters so meekly.As far as I'm concerned, Christian Benteke is a player contracted to my club. Anybody interested in signing him can take a running jump off the nearest cliff.  Using Grimsby as an example , for our own position ,is beyond comment by the way.

So the difference is you haven't taken your claret and blue specs off.

By your definition Villa are a bigger club than Manchester United. Sorry, but that IS delusional.

When you take those specs off, you'll realise that Benteke leaving is a possibility, and we're merely discussing the consequences of that happening.

If you want to belive he'll spend the rest of his career here then that's fine. But don't belittle the rest of us for having the common sense to realise that that probably isn't going to happen.

Edited by Stevo985

I think we should run down his contract(not if he signs a new one of course). I think we will be in a better place as a club if we do than to sell him this summer. Remember we signed him 7M; we have gotten that back a plenty. No need to try to make silly financial profits.

So the difference is you haven't taken your claret and blue specs off.

By your definition Villa are a bigger club than Manchester United. Sorry, but that IS delusional.

When you take those specs off, you'll realise that Benteke leaving is a possibility, and we're merely discussing the consequences of that happening.

If you want to belive he'll spend the rest of his career here then that's fine. But don't belittle the rest of us for having the common sense to realise that that probably isn't going to happen.

I'm not delusional. I just don't regard other clubs, and not just United , as bigger than Villa. You don't hear Liverpool fans or Arsenal fans debating which club they would prefer their best player to join. They get angry at the possibility, so should we. I'm not belittling anyone. But I'm blowed if I'll join in a discussion that so readily accepts such a mediocre future for Aston Villa. Like I say, I don't give a flying fu""k who wants him . They can't have him. End of discussion.

I'd keep hold of him unless we get an absolutely silly offer (£50m+) - he's simply too valuable to be let go.

They'll only become legends if we go a long time without winning another trophy, hopefully that's not the case.

How did you work that one out? It's a bit like saying the First Division champions of '81 only became legends decades later.

Breaking a 58-year wait for an FA Cup would be an incredible achievement - what comes after it really doesn't have any bearing on that achievement.

• Like 1

Winning a title and then going on to win the European cup is a bit different from winning the FA Cup. I'm not saying they won't be fondly remembered, I'm just saying the achievement will stand out less if go on a run of winning trophies. Like I said in my follow up post the team will be fondly remembered regardless simply for winning the FA Cup and also for kick starting our run of success (should it happen).

I'm not delusional. I just don't regard other clubs, and not just United , as bigger than Villa.

This is contradictory. Claiming you're not delusional and then claiming VIlla are bigger than Man Utd doesn't make sense. And by your logic we're a smaller club than Leyton Orient because they're from a bigger city  :huh: 

You don't hear Liverpool fans or Arsenal fans debating which club they would prefer their best player to join.

Yes you do, if the possibility of them leaving is mooted. Look at United fans and De Gea.

They get angry at the possibility, so should we. I'm not belittling anyone. But I'm blowed if I'll join in a discussion that so readily accepts such a mediocre future for Aston Villa.

You are belittling people by implying that to discuss Benteke's future away from this club means they have less pride than you. It's a "better fan" argument and it's total bollocks.

Like I say, I don't give a flying fu""k who wants him . They can't have him. End of discussion.

Good for you. Unfortunately for all of us you're not the one who decides Benteke's future. The people who do may very well decide that his future is not at Aston Villa, and that is the reality that people are discussing.

Just because we have our eyes open wide enough to see that possibility (and it's only a possibility, nobody is saying it's a sure thing) doesn't mean we lack the pride that you supposedly have.

Edited by Stevo985

Winning a title and then going on to win the European cup is a bit different from winning the FA Cup. I'm not saying they won't be fondly remembered, I'm just saying the achievement will stand out less if go on a run of winning trophies. Like I said in my follow up post the team will be fondly remembered regardless simply for winning the FA Cup and also for kick starting our run of success (should it happen).

You've got it the wrong way round. If we go on a winning run then the later trophies will stand out less - the first one in a long time will always be special and if it kickstarts more success then it will be even more fondly remembered.

Put it another way, which league triumph do you think Man City fans value more: 2011/12 or 2013/14?

• Like 1

Â