Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

He wasn't great by any stretch , but he wasn't as poor as people are saying either , was certainly  better than Whelan on Saturday , does he need a  few mazy runs and score a couple of goals in order to not be deemed crap ? 

I think we have to accept that Bruce has built a team of players that will run around and work hard whilst offering little flair , in that regards Bacuna is a perfect fit for Bruce  , I suspect on Tues we will see Bjarnason  given a  chance to play that role , maybe alongside Bacuna as Whelan is given a rest ?   (assuming Jedinak still isn't available ) 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

He wasn't great by any stretch , but he wasn't as poor as people are saying either , was certainly  better than Whelan on Saturday , does he need a  few mazy runs and score a couple of goals in order to not be deemed crap ? 

I think we have to accept that Bruce has built a team of players that will run around and work hard whilst offering little flair , in that regards Bacuna is a perfect fit for Bruce  , I suspect on Tues we will see Bjarnason  given a  chance to play that role , maybe alongside Bacuna as Whelan is given a rest ?   (assuming Jedinak still isn't available ) 

No, just needs to be able to do that "look up, look around, look for your teammate and pass it accurately 3 yards thing."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

His problem on Saturday (and why so many people think he had a bad game) was that every time he did something decent, he'd go and ruin it by playing an absolutely abysmal pass and losing possession.  His passing just isn't good enough to play in the centre of midfield, even at this level.

The reason he keeps getting played is that ironically he has a combination of assets which are pretty vital to our team and that none of our other midfielders have: good energy and work ethic, reasonable physicality and the ability to run past a player and advance us up the pitch.  Bruce said that last season he threw him in the side just to change things up and it worked (sad indictment of our manager that he had to rely on a fluke decision like that instead of recognising the actual reason for the change first - but that's a different post for a different thread) and it's because we need that type of player - albeit one with better passing ability.

How we've got to this stage of Bruce's tenure, with all the signings he's made and we're still relying on Bacuna in that role, well the mind boggles doesn't it.  I only hope that it's simply because we couldn't find the right player or perhaps we were waiting to see if Tshibola got his act together (because he's one who I thought could perhaps solve that problem).  I also hope that Josh Onomah has been signed to play that role - because that's where he played in the U20 world cup, and he played it very well - not as an attacking mid or no.10!

I would love to have Whelan-Jedinak as our DM options. Lansbury-Onomah as the deeper playmaker, and Hourihane-Grealish as our #10. I think those 6 cycling between the 3 spots will have healthy competition and give us plenty of chance to win matches. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Every player gets paid a 'loyalty payment' spread out over the duration of the contract in addition to their monthly salary. If they leave and haven't requested to do so they are still entitled to this. (I believe)

That is why nobody really hands in transfer requests anymore.

What makes me laugh about this is a player can throw their toys out of the pram, cry to the media demanding a move, refuse to play, but still get their loyalty bonus because they didn't officially hand in a transfer request, it's ridiculous 

11 hours ago, Killeen30 said:

Come back and talk to us Reading!!!  Please?

"Oh you thought we were being serious when we laughed at your offer, we just laughed as we thought it was a practical joke. You can happily have him"

On 8/7/2017 at 13:07, tonyh29 said:

I think you will find that Steve Bruce is not the only manager who likes players to cover ground.....our own Ron Saunders was a great advocate of it.

There is nothing wrong with it.....but you have to do a bit more too.....like making it difficult for the opposition or dare i say play a few telling balls for mates to run on too.

He was awful.....I was watching him carefully, I could barely believe he was on for so long......however I do agree the midfield generally was poor in the second half.

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don't think he was actually that bad first half. Second half he was poor as was everyone.

but he was worse than the other midfielders.....with them closely catching him up.

Edited by TRO

If Bacuna being picked is down to other midfielders not having any pace then surely Bruce has questions to answer? Did he or our scouts not see enough of Hourihane and Lansbury to realise they are no speedsters? If he wanted energy in the middle of the park he should have only bought one of those two and invested the remaining cash on someone with pace because Bacuna surely couldn't have shown anything to justify staying here?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

If Bacuna being picked is down to other midfielders not having any pace then surely Bruce has questions to answer? Did he or our scouts not see enough of Hourihane and Lansbury to realise they are no speedsters? If he wanted energy in the middle of the park he should have only bought one of those two and invested the remaining cash on someone with pace because Bacuna surely couldn't have shown anything to justify staying here?

I don't make a habit of singling out or rubbishing players, but in this case I will make an exception.....he is awful IMV

The problem we have in midfield is  "you can change the bowler but you don't change to bowling"......they offer different things,sure .... so YOU improve on one thing and lose another.....net result same.

our midfielders are not complete enough.

I am excluding whelan & Onomah , not seen enough yet

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

but he was worse than the other midfielders.....with them closely catching him up.

His confidence looks shot to bits.  Regardless of my thoughts on his ability I don't think Bruce should play him at home because of the negativity it brings in the ground if nothing else.

Bruce should see this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

As far as we know he could be really impressive in training so earns his start.  But then turns to shit after the hostility he receives as soon as makes his first misplace pass.  

He has to go.

his play is full of melancholy, he has the look of a scolded child, he tackles with an apology......no not for me.

• Like 1

On 07/08/2017 at 13:09, Stevo985 said:

No he wasn't. Not by a long shot.

he was comfortably the worst player on the pitch. And I'm including the ball boys.

And Whelan looked better once Bacuna went off. Bacuna was ruining Whelan's performance.