Why do YOU support Villa?

Spoony

Although my parents were not sporty types, my dad took me to a Villa game when I was 4 or 5, and it kind of just stuck. Birmingham also being the city of my birth, it was the obvious choice.

I began supporting AVFC in the early 90's when Bozza was between the sticks. Being Australian and watching Bozza strut his stuff (via the ABC initially) automatically tied me to the club.  Have been following Villa ever since. Whilst holidaying in Europe 2 years ago, managed to sneak in a visit to Birmingham and to Villa Park - but have yet to watch a game yet. Love the club with all its history and heritage. 

Well, my Dad must have chosen my first match carefully as I was 8 years old and he took me to what is still our biggest league cup win I think, the 8-1 victory vs Exeter in October of 1985. I was also with my gran who had apparently patted all of the players on the back as they walked up to receive the FA Cup in '57 and my sis. Have loved the Villa ever since and always will. My daughters who are 6 and 4 also now know that Aston Villa are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen.

Dwight Yorke and God. They had more appeal than Robbie Fowler, Ian Rush or Paul Rideout when I was a young lad growing up in Liverpool. The shit I took wearing my Villa kits as a kid growing up on Murkeyside was well worth it though - especially the asics green and black striped away kit. Great days! 

My local team while I was young. My family follow miscellaneous 'big 4' clubs, I guess being a Villa fan is as much down to me being stubborn and contradictory as anything else.

My family has no ties to Birmingham. Few distant relatives are Villa fans but never met them.

Earliest memories are a birthday card with villa colours on when I was about 4/5. Remember liking Bosnich's hat on MOTD once when he made a save from a free kick. Had the GK top that had coloured triangles all over and the Muller yoghurt sponsor peeled off.

Tbh, I have no idea.

We had some ridiculous GK kits.

I used to love this one, what was I thinking...

M-Bosnich.jpg

I really liked that one too. Lime green and silver, how very futuristic!

Still have that one at home! As an aspiring goalkeeper, Bozzie was my idol when I was a kid!

Got taken to Villa Park to see a game with my best mate and his family (all Villa fans) and that was that. Within a couple of years we were European Champions, but it's been downhill ever since...

Late 70 and start 80 all my mates supported Liverpool - did not like them (still don't) and Villa have the best colors. What a fantastic few first years I got as a supporter :-) - 90 was great as well - remember seeing the final win over Man U. in a hostel in New Zealand - all by myself :-)

Growing up where I did it was generally either Leicester City, Coventry or one of the other glory clubs that have fitted the bill down the years. My dad had always been a big football fan, but other than Nuneaton Borough (Nuneaton Town now), he generally used to follow individual players though he ended up at Bloomfield Road quite a bit to watch Mathews. Villa though had always been a popular place for him to go.

My older brother had picked Villa and when I was really small, and my dad used to take him a lot in mid/late 70s and very early eighties. I remember seeing various player/team posters (all Villa) on his bedroom wall. Names like Rimmer, Mortimer, Little, Shaw, Gray, Withe... all sounded magical and my brother was quite proud when I was able to out a name to the faces on his posters. I'd always associated myself with Villa from then on, loving the name, loving the colours and really growing into the history of the club as a I got older and showed even more interest. I'd seen Villa a few times on the TV as a small kid and can just about remember the European Cup Final against Bayern on TV. 

My first real game at Villa Park was a 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday in 1985. My dad bought be a 'follow me to Aston Villa' car sign that I actually put up in my bedroom instead and I also got a Villa bomber jacket. Yay... We were sitting in the North Stand Upper, and we did see some crowd trouble.

I believe Kevin Poole played in goal and we had Didier Six playing. I recall Lee Chapman and Imre Varadi mentioned for Wednesday (was Howard Wilkinson their manager at the time) on the back of the match day program. From then, my attendance was pretty patchy until I was old enough to go down with my few Villa supporting friends. Then there was Uni, though I saw some great games during those times. I fell lucky with a crowd of fellow supporting friends at Uni, which was nice. But following the League Cup Run of 1995/96 with a student budget was difficult and I ended up £5 overdrawn by the end of May 1996 in my final year. Not a bad job... That day at Wembley was real dreamland. The perfect Wembley performance.

First Season Ticket from 2000. Suffered ever since ;-)

I was speaking to my Dad recently about this and I'm going to look into it further but there's a chance that our family have been following Villa right from it's very creation potentially or at least from very near to 1874.

It runs in the family and until two years ago 4 generations of villa supporters existed up to my great-grandfather, sadly he passed away at the age of 88 or 89 but if his father supported Villa too then this would stretch back to at least the 1890's........I'm sure we're not the only family to have this long line of allegiance but it would make a great story for us and the club if I could somehow track this information down.......

My younger brother has recently had his first child and so the next generation has begun :)

Â