Why do YOU support Villa?

Spoony

I'm sure this has probably been covered before but I'm genuinely interested because I personally have barely any connection with the club 'per se' and I was wondering how many people support Villa because of something other than location/family?

I'm from Oxford, I was brought up in Oxford, I've spent half my life in the North and now I live in London. I have absolutely no connection with Birmingham and neither do my family. My parents hate football and all of my distant relatives and my siblings support Fulham or QPR.

I used to support Liverpool in my very young days (don't shoot me, that's just the way up there!)

So that's me. I had no real reason to support Villa, it's more of a self-inflicted pain that I'm going to have to live with for the rest of my life (but I wouldn't have it any other way)!

-

Similar, I used to support other teams when I was very young and didn't know better - it is how the PL works for people who live outside the UK, you support the clubs your friends follow, just like they do more or less in Birmingham, or Newcastle or wherever you go, and most of the people I know are supporters of either Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. (fwiw it has nothing to do with glory-hunting, Man City for example have a looong way to go to be on par with Pool and Arsenal in terms of global support - it's about how visible you are)

I started supporting Villa in the early years of MON. I wanted an experience that was a little different ("it's more authentically British" I sometimes said) from those of my top 4-supporting friends, and so I plumped for one of the mid-table clubs that looked to be on the up. In my case it was Villa. At that time I didn't realise how storied the club's history was, and in particular there was this friend of mine who kept chiding me for "supporting a small-**** club like Hull" - Villa to him was just another club to be steamrollered by Utd every year, just like the rest of the league outside the top few. We were so insignificant to him that he got our name mixed up with those of other clubs.

Since then he, like me before him, has done a fair bit of research, and he now knows we have won more European Cups than Arsenal :)

God willing we can win it again.

• Like 2

My dad took me to my first game, it was the Villa vs Tottenham game where Bozzie clattered Klinsmann. He asked me whether i wanted to go to that game on the game against Wimbledon where we won 7-1. i picked the Wimbledon game and he ignored me and bought us Spurs tickets :@

I remember that game vividly. Did we not win 1-0?

My dad took me to my first game, it was the Villa vs Tottenham game where Bozzie clattered Klinsmann. He asked me whether i wanted to go to that game on the game against Wimbledon where we won 7-1. i picked the Wimbledon game and he ignored me and bought us Spurs tickets :@

I remember that game vividly. Did we not win 1-0?

Yeah we did but i could have seen 7 bloody goals instead lol!

Because my aunt bought me that mug in my avatar.

After a few years my mate said "You know that's a Villa cup you're drinking out of don't you?"

I said "Oh, really? Ok."

So after I found out Villa was a football team it was the natural choice.

• Like 2

Fair point! Seem to remember the goal being a cracker.

Despite being a fan for 3 years by that point I hadn't been to many games, that may well have been only my 3rd or 4th and I think it was my fathers first.

Where did you sit? I was upper Holte. That challenge was horrendous! He had a thing for Spurs didn't he, Bosnich, lest we forget the salute! Not much by the way of Internet around that time or he would have been absolutely vilified...

Despite being a fan for 3 years by that point I hadn't been to many games, that may well have been only my 3rd or 4th and I think it was my fathers first.

Where did you sit? I was upper Holte. That challenge was horrendous! He had a thing for Spurs didn't he, Bosnich, lest we forget the salute! Not much by the way of Internet around that time or he would have been absolutely vilified...

I sat in the Upper Holte too, my dad insisted with it being my first game :)

I remember Bozzie nearly decapitating Klinsmann but don't remember much else from the game, I had just turned 11 i think!

A lot fo the family were WBA.

My uncle Barry was a Villa fan, and he took my older cousin, brother and them me to stand on the Holte. And from there, it's in your blood.....

Grew up in Erdington, in a Villa obsessed family. There was only ever going to be one out come. The first topic of conversation with any of the male members of my family, is how the Villa are getting on.  

Was never really into football but remembered the first FA cup final i saw was spurs v coventry and so sort of liked them and it got me interested in football , my best mate who i played football with was an Aston Villa fan so i chose them as a team , neither my mum or dad were into football though they did take me to see Pelsall Villa play once . Mum finally decided to take me to a proper Villa match after much nagging and i've been hooked ever since though it wasn't till 03/04 that i owned my first season ticket . I then met the misses who was also a season ticket holder and my passion for the club grew from there .

Like you Spoony, I have no local ties to Brum really, though my Mum is from the West Midlands. I was born in East London but moved at 2 out to a small village near Watford, and am now back in London again. I actually feel quite a strong identity with the capital but it doesn't permeate to any of the football teams. I used to watch Arsenal a fair bit growing up with my Dad, who is a vague, watery Gooner, but by that stage I was already fully committed to the C&B. 

In fact it was through my stepdad that I ended up supporting Villa, not that he actively encouraged it, but he used to work at the Cadbury's plant in Bourneville and got tickets through them periodically so I'd go up once or twice a season when I was getting majorly into football aged around 8-10. The first game I went to was a really dire match with Southampton which we won 1-0 with an OG but it was my first proper football match and I absolutely loved it - loved the stadium, the colours, the atmosphere - everything. I think even the journey made it feel like an adventure, a proper day out. 

One time in particular we got into the box Cadbury had at VP for my birthday and me and a few mates went up. There were baskets and baskets of Wispa Gold. Ian Taylor scored the winner. No turning back from that of thing.

I sat in the Upper Holte too, my dad insisted with it being my first game :)

I remember Bozzie nearly decapitating Klinsmann but don't remember much else from the game, I had just turned 11 i think!

We're roughly the same age then, I were 11.

The decapitation was in front of the north stand if my memory serves me well.

Â