Why do YOU support Villa?

Spoony

I'm sure this has probably been covered before but I'm genuinely interested because I personally have barely any connection with the club 'per se' and I was wondering how many people support Villa because of something other than location/family?

I'm from Oxford, I was brought up in Oxford, I've spent half my life in the North and now I live in London. I have absolutely no connection with Birmingham and neither do my family. My parents hate football and all of my distant relatives and my siblings support Fulham or QPR.

The reason I support Villa is actually because of Peter Schmeichel of all people. I used to support Liverpool in my very young days (don't shoot me, that's just the way up there!) until I kind of stopped following football. I then discovered that I'm actually quite a capable goalkeeper and I played for Reading academy for a period of time when I was about 10/11. As I got into the whole goalkeeping thing I ended up idolising Peter Schmeichel and when he moved to Aston Villa I started watching all of their games. I fell in love with Villa from then on and I have been obsessed ever since! So I've only actually been supporting Villa for about 12 years, which is only just the majority of my life.

So that's me. I had no real reason to support Villa, it's more of a self-inflicted pain that I'm going to have to live with for the rest of my life (but I wouldn't have it any other way)!

I would actually genuinely like to know. It seems to me that most Villa fans have a proper reason for supporting Villa and we don't have many who sort of 'choose' Villa like Man Utd or Chelsea or whatever.

Well my Nan and grandad worked at Villa in the 60/70's. And at the age of 3/4 my grandad gave me a villa shirt (I think it was the AST computer one) and haven't looked back since, even though my dad bought me numerous Tottenham shirts at a young age to try and change my allegiances.   

My one Granddad played for Villa after the war and then coached them in the late 60's early 70's when we got to the league cup final in 70/71. 

My other Granddad was the chief editor for the Villa news and record. We have all the programmes from 1919-present day :3 

Therefore Villa was on both my mothers side and my fathers side therefore has been passed down through family for me :3 

I was brought up about 40 mins from Birmingham so had a number of clubs to "choose" from as a kid (Dad was a life long Chesham fan!)

Villa was the first game ever went to, stood in Holte End before all seating came in and watched us draw to Wimbledon. Never forget the first time I saw the inside of the stadium and heard the noise.

Been in my blood ever since.

First football match I watched on the telly, that Tranmere game.  Couldn't have picked a more dramatic introduction to the beautiful game, I suppose.  Clawing back the aggregate score.  Bozzie's heroics.  Never watched anything so enthralling in my life up to that point.  From then on I was a Villa fan (and a goalkeeper).  No ties to the area, family, nowt.  No schoolyard chums who also followed them or anything like that.  So mine was a choice.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

Sat between two lads in school, it was September 92 so I was 9 years old, year 4 perhaps? One a filthy nose, the other a Villan. Asked who I supported...

One grandparent was a blue nose the other Villa, my father oblivious (though now a big Villa fan thanks to me, all my family are). I'd always had a soft spot for Wolves, I liked the badge, but I wasn't a fan at all. I did like football, I remember Italian 90 fairly well, I remember the 1992 FA cup final vividly, I almost became a Liverpool supporter...

Anyway, I liked the Villans pencil case more than the filthy noses, job done. Thank you Richard Brown, wherever you are...

When I was about 6/7, a kid who lived over the road from me asked me if I supported Albion or Villa. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. I just took a punt and said Villa. He responded with utter disgust and said I should support Albion.

I went home and told my dad I supported Albion and he responded in much the same way the kid did, telling me I should support Villa. I still had no idea what they were talking about. 

But yeah, that's why I'm a Villa fan, just 'cause of my dad. That was about 1993/94.

I'm the first generation on my dads side to have not lived in Birmingham (although Lichfield is practically the same) and my dad side are a huge Villa supporting family. Took me to my first game in 1999 (Villa v Hull FA cup 3rd round on my birthday) and I haven't looked back.

My dad took me to my first game, it was the Villa vs Tottenham game where Bozzie clattered Klinsmann. He asked me whether i wanted to go to that game on the game against Wimbledon where we won 7-1. i picked the Wimbledon game and he ignored me and bought us Spurs tickets :@

Â