Luke Wilkinson (Dagenham & Redbridge)

villanwesty88

Luke Wilkinson linked with us and Norwich...

Sky Sports understands a number of Premier League clubs are tracking highly-rated Dagenham & Redbridge defender Luke Wilkinson.

Wilkinson was one of Dagenham's shining lights last season and was instrumental in helping the club secure their League Two status.

The 21-year-old made 46 appearances in all competitions last term and was named the club's player of the season after establishing himself in the first team.

Wilkinson's performances have not gone unnoticed further up the football pyramid with a host of sides keeping tabs on his progress.

Norwich and Aston Villa are both thought to be admirers of the former Portsmouth man and are continuing to monitor his situation at Dagenham.

Never heard of him but I'd never heard of Lowton, Westwood, Bowery, Benteke and Sylla. Not sure how strong this link is really, not seen it anywhere else.

Maybe him and Okore in? would give us 5 cbs....

I think he can/has played right back before, too.

Yeah, I thought I read he mostly played RB.

i dont get the dislike towards huth on here

he might be 28 yrs old, but hes a solid experienced centre back, which is what we so desperately need to show some leadership at the back, since we were first linked with him at the age of 24 at chelsea hes been a top class defender, the transfer fee might be a little high as would his wage, but it would be worth it to reduce the amount of goals we leak

• Like 1

the line has to be drawn somewhere though?

theres a reason why some footballers are plying their trade so far down the leagues...

Bowery and Westwood pretty much both came from L2. Westwood became a key player and Bowery a reasonable squad player.

If they're good enough, it doesn't matter where they come from.

• Like 1

theres a reason why some footballers are plying their trade so far down the leagues...

Granted that may be the case for some players but it's very easy to get overlooked. I mean there are only so many vacancies at a top clubs academy and while players may be more than good enough they just don't make the grade in comparison to other players. It's like Matt Lowton, he was plying his trade for League One side Sheffield United yet he's one of the best Right Backs in the Premier League based on last seasons performances. Just because you are playing lower league football does not mean that's your level of skill, just like there are players in the Premier League that possibly shouldn't be at that level. I understand that poaching too many players from lower leagues carries a risk as Lambert isn't going to pick a Lowton every time, but this guy must be doing something right to attract the attention of clubs three divisions higher. 

• Like 1

I really would like some of these players in the top sides to go to smaller clubs .. I would like to see how they'd perform ..

Especially defenders or fullbacks !

And in another way .. I would like to see a player like Bannan to play in a top side .. And what would he do with much more freedom and attacking ..

Anyway for footballers down there .. Especially for those youngsters .. The main reason is that they were in the academy there .. or they wanted a chance to play in a first time in an earlier stage !

For me, signing young players that we haven't heard of is something positive. What's the point trying to sign proven players? It costs far too much to be competitive in the Premier League following that model. Bringing in the unknowns is low-risk in terms of costs in the PL and gives us a chance to sign players who could become great.

We'd never have been able to sign Benteke this summer if he was playing for someone else in the PL last season. So I'm all for it, keep unearthing the unknown gems Lambert! 

I don't think reputation or club matter a jot to Lambert. I think he's looking for the kind of hunger he showed as player himself going from Motherwell to winning the Champions League with Dortmund.

Hitzfield gave Lambert the opportunity when his career was admittedy at a crossroads, and he took it with both hands (or feet I should say). Now he's manager, I'm sure he's looking to give that kind of opportunity to players like this lad here.

If any of his signings can emulate that level of desire then I'm all for it!

I wonder if Dortmund fans were asking who the **** this unknown from a shit league was when he signed. The same unknown that marked Zidane out of the CL final.

Edited by StanBalaban

Â