Surveillance in the US reaches new levels

CVByrne

How do you know Google willingly hand over users' data unless they're forced to by law?

It's well known and accepted that they use your data internally to tailor adverts in their products to your tastes.

What the NSA and GCHQ are doing are thoroughly wrong. You really shouldn't fall into the trap of saying 'well Google and Yahoo had this coming' because it makes it not about you and trivialises it.

Google engineers have confirmed that the traffic shown on this NSA slide is live data that has been intercepted from private links between data centres

NSA_Serendipityredacted.jpg

Yahoo and Google have had to put SSL on all internal traffic now. They've effectively had to lock all the doors inside the house because the NSA (specifically GCHQ in this case) have gotten inside.

Whatever you think of these big corps, this shit aint right.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"This summer's revelations" that were hardly revelations for any of the companies listed.

It's hard to believe that they care for any reason other than their willingness to cooperate has started to hurt their bottom line. It's an insignificant gesture that is getting almost no publicity. Almost like they're wanting people who are closely following these events to read it, but no one else. If they truly recognised the magnitude of this problem they could stir up a shitstorm and get a huge amount of publicity by simply whacking up a link to it on their respective homepages. Instead they put it on a site that most people will never see.

I'll be doing what I can to ensure as little of my data as possible passes through their servers.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

It's a start, but nothing from, say, Cisco, who build hotlines to the NSA into their gear, nothing from telecoms companies, and nothing from Britain, Australia, Canada or New Zealand.

Cisco will probably join in before long, it was reported over the past few weeks that they've had huge drops in sales in most markets outside of the US.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Saw a headline yesterday (didn't read the article I must confess) that the NSA have been using Angry Birds to gather social information  :)

not sure what they will learn from that , other than the fact I'm pants when it comes to killing pigs

Edited by tonyh29

Â