Jores Okore

Jesperchr

It is irrelevant which foot a cb is..

Martin Keown and Tony Adams both right footed.

Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic both right footed.

2 of the best partnerships seen in the prem.

If you can defend you can do it either side.

Okore was highly rated so let's hope he can get back to full fitness and him and Vlaar can be a good partnership. I hope we don't rush him back or place too much expectation on him yet.

• Like 1

Yeah I totally agree. People always talk about height, pace, which foot the player passes with and so on. A really good defender needs to be really good at defending, which means being smart, anticipating the next move, breaking up play, reading the opponent and all the other characteristics. A player can not be picked purely on his physical attributes, because many of the great players in the history of football have not been part of the typical bracket. Which foot he uses is probably the dumbest argument of all in my opinion. Cannavaro was 176 cm, Vidic and Terry have always been slow, Baresi was 176 cm and so on.

Sure attributes apply to certain types, for example wingers and strikers. A very slow winger will always struggle even if he has great technique, and he will suffer down the wing because he can't sprint back to help out defensively, and if you are a very good header of the ball but lousy with your feet, it won't do much good if you are a striker at 170 cm. But at centre back it's all about stopping the opponents and the most important thing is anticipation and quick reactions, the slow guys always know when to step back to take out a fast striker and when to tackle him before he even gets the ball in his feet. Of course, it does help to have a lot of pace and strength, but it won't help if you on top of that read the game like James Collins or Titus Bramble. Zat Knight was a tall and physical player, but god was he awful. Having two centre halves with two different passing feet means absolutely nothing, at least in my opinion. I want Okore to utilize his pace and aggression, which are two things I have seen in the little playing time he has gotten here, but let's hope he's not the type who rashes into tackles and continually make stupid free-kicks on the edge of the box. As for how his passing is, I reckon he will do just fine with both feet when he makes those 10 ft passes to the full-back.

• Like 1

Please everyone drop the left footed/right footed thing.

It has no relevance at all and I'm sure anyone who works in football would agree. If you're not good enough to play on the other side, then you're not good enough to be a professional footballer anyway, so the whole thing is a moot point.

I'll quote you just as an example.

It most definitely is not a moot point. You're right in that a player needs to be of some standard and the better the better. ;)

However, if you have a right footed and a left footed CB, it's better than if you have two right or two left footed ones. Neither of them plays in the center so that it wouldn't make any difference. If a player is far superior, he can play on the wrong side too, but it's not ideal, as someone has mentioned. I wouldn't want to play Vlaar on the wrong side if possible. But if Okore is clearly better than Clark, I would.

I don't have evidence he is at the moment, so I'd play Clark on the left and Vlaar on right. Let them fight it out. No way is it clear that Okore walks back in and Clark gets dropped.

I don't get it either. If a right footed cb needs to go on the left side of the pitch is he a lesser defender all of a sudden? Most players today are at least reasonable (if not good) with both feet, I wish somebody did a statistic on Vlaar's defending touches on  either side the pitch to see exactly if this 'right/left footed' discussion has any relevance

I have a statistic.

When Vlaar is forced out of position to accomondate Okore, we lose 100% of the time (sample: 3 games out of 3).

It's only natural, that Vlaar won't deal as well with crosses coming in from the left than from the right. As he is right footed.

The question, imho, is, if Clark + Baker is a better option than Okore + either Clark or Baker, in the unfortunate situation Vlaar is not available.

Whether both Cb's are right footed or left footed it really doesn't matter.

As someone mentioned above, some of the world's best CB partnerships involve players who both have the same strongest foot.

Around 81% of people in the world are right-footed, I guess that holds the same for footballers. So let's end the argument (if there ever was one) about having a left-footed player next to a right-footed, it's hard to find one, let alone a good one! Besides, stoppers mainly play short passes during a game and they should be pretty good with both feet regardless.

Around 81% of people in the world are right-footed, I guess that holds the same for footballers. So let's end the argument (if there ever was one) about having a left-footed player next to a right-footed, it's hard to find one, let alone a good one! Besides, stoppers mainly play short passes during a game and they should be pretty good with both feet regardless.

This is the same reason left back is the hardest position to find quality in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â