Jores Okore

Jesperchr

I'm not convinced Lambert's vision long term is having Okore next to Vlaar, as both of them are natural right sided CDs and have always played in this position to my knowledge. I'm not sure moving Vlaar to the left in order to accommodate Okore would make us that much better.

Spot on, imho. Okore is bought as back-up to Vlaar. If Vlaar is fit, Vlaar will be teamed with a left-footer (and that's Clark and Baker).

Moving Vlaar to the left to accommondate Okore (whom I've never ever seen play anything but right side in defense) is a recipy for disaster. We saw it in the 3 games early in the season, where Vlaar had to play right side to fit in Okore.

3 straight losses and a shaky shaky backline.

I'm not convinced Lambert's vision long term is having Okore next to Vlaar, as both of them are natural right sided CDs and have always played in this position to my knowledge. I'm not sure moving Vlaar to the left in order to accommodate Okore would make us that much better.

Spot on, imho. Okore is bought as back-up to Vlaar. If Vlaar is fit, Vlaar will be teamed with a left-footer (and that's Clark and Baker).

Moving Vlaar to the left to accommondate Okore (whom I've never ever seen play anything but right side in defense) is a recipy for disaster. We saw it in the 3 games early in the season, where Vlaar had to play right side to fit in Okore.

3 straight losses and a shaky shaky backline.

Completely disagree okore would've been first choice

I think people overplay this right/left sided centre back thing. They would have played together all season if they could. Okore probably would have just learnt to play on the other side, he's young and good enough to do it.

You would think so, but every single time Okore and Vlaar have played together it was Vlaar moving to the left, not Okore. 

I think people overplay this right/left sided centre back thing. They would have played together all season if they could. Okore probably would have just learnt to play on the other side, he's young and good enough to do it.

You would think so, but every single time Okore and Vlaar have played together it was Vlaar moving to the left, not Okore.

Yep. Something to think about when he gets back.

I'm not sure it makes much difference being on the left or right centre in midfield/defence/attack. They are in the centre of the park so can easily use either foot unlike out on the flanks? Or am I missing something?

most clearances that Vlaar would make from playing right centre back would be with his right foot as most crosses he has to deal with would be coming in from that side. Switch him to left centre back and he would be having to deal with alot of crosses coming from the left side which would mean he would be using his left foot so it definitely makes a difference.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it makes much difference being on the left or right centre in midfield/defence/attack. They are in the centre of the park so can easily use either foot unlike out on the flanks? Or am I missing something?

Staying with the back four, the 3 games Vlaar played with Okore would suggest, it does make a big difference. The defending was terrible.

As for (above) Okore being young and learning to playing on the left side, I have seen him for Denmark and for FCN (and Villa) and I have NEVER ever seen him in another position than right side. Naturally, I have missed some games, but all I've seen, he's been in ONE position and one position only.

Further about the topic a quote from Lambert in re to Vlaar being back for the Cardiff game: "His absence affects things because of the balance. We have two left footers playing at centre-half which is not ideal."

Suggestion Lambert also doesn't see the pairing Vlaar/Okore as ideal.

Edited by Villain4Life
  • Like 2

If Vlaar and Clark are both fit I would give Okore a few games in midfield. It would be good for him, because he could still get accustomed to the League and I think he could also do a decent job as a DM, as a CB he know how to tackle and despite his hight he would win some headers in midfield (how often does that happen?). He would also offer some much needed pace, and would allow Delph to get into attacking positions more often.

If Vlaar and Clark are both fit I would give Okore a few games in midfield. It would be good for him, because he could still get accustomed to the League and I think he could also do a decent job as a DM, as a CB he know how to tackle and despite his hight he would win some headers in midfield (how often does that happen?). He would also offer some much needed pace, and would allow Delph to get into attacking positions more often.

No no no. What is the obsession on this site of playing players out of position. He is a highly rated centre back. When fit that is where he should play

• Like 4

No no no. What is the obsession on this site of playing players out of position. He is a highly rated centre back. When fit that is where he should play

This.

I've mentioned it in other threads.

As soon as a player starts playing well, VT seems obsessed with moving them.

If a player plays well in a position, flipping leave him there. He's good at it!

Okore would have partnered Vlaar at CB, no doubt. They are both footballers, so are comfortable with the ball at their feet. The problem with Clark and Baker is, they make Ridgewell look like Baresi with the ball at their feet. We had the same issue when Laursen was out, he was rightfooted but he had the ability to play left side, whereas when we had Knight and Davies it was a car crash.

How many of the worlds top teams go out of their way to buy a left/right combo for central defence? None of them. The only top team off the top of my head i can think of is bayern with dante being the left footer but i doubt they went out of their way to do that. Its a rubbish argument imo it basically comes down to how good the player is, the reason baker/clark doesn't work is not because they are both left footed its because neither are good enough especially when paired together.

How many of the worlds top teams go out of their way to buy a left/right combo for central defence? None of them. The only top team off the top of my head i can think of is bayern with dante being the left footer but i doubt they went out of their way to do that. Its a rubbish argument imo it basically comes down to how good the player is, the reason baker/clark doesn't work is not because they are both left footed its because neither are good enough especially when paired together.

Of course the most important thing is the quality of the players but you'd be wrong if you think this is not considered by managers. You might want a word with our current one :

Lambert : "His absence ( Vlaar ) affects things because of the balance. We have two left footers playing at centre-half which is not ideal."

I think people overplay this right/left sided centre back thing.

Lambert obviously thinks there's something in it, his comments do indeed suggest that Okore would be a back up too. Course he could just be using it as an excuse as to why we've been so poor at the back.

Â