Speculation: Ivelin Popov (Kuban Krasnodar)

Delphinho123

Cheers Lamski.

Bad new is he was apparently Lambert's first choice and Villa are missing out on a very decent player, but oh well. Next.

Don't know if he was first choice, or if there is a specific order with this first list of targets. I personally think he has given Faulkner his list of positions and players for each of them, wanting to sign one of each to replace those that have left or will be leaving. I would also assume that the lists would be short and vary in size for each position.

Glad he is bulking up the squad before shipping out though.

Cheers Lamski.

Bad new is he was apparently Lambert's first choice and Villa are missing out on a very decent player, but oh well. Next.

My guess is that could change when we've sold a couple of players. Lambert maybe wanted to get numbers in with his transfer budget first, rather than getting in just one biggish name by blowing the lot in one go. Once he's got maybe 6 - 8 million in from player sales I don't see why we couldn't go in for him again: He seems to be keen enough on a move.

Cheers Lamski.

My guess is that could change when we've sold a couple of players. Lambert maybe wanted to get numbers in with his transfer budget first, rather than getting in just one biggish name by blowing the lot in one go. Once he's got maybe 6 - 8 million in from player sales I don't see why we couldn't go in for him again: He seems to be keen enough on a move.

Adding on from what I just posted, I agree with you that this first bunch is get the numbers up to replace what we plan to get rid of with his budget.

I do however think that with the money he makes from sales he will target one or two 'quality' signings later in the window, along with anybody he's after from England. Don't think Popov will be signed now, if he's said he will sign a new contract for his club then I guess this should be locked.

Cheers Lamski.

Adding on from what I just posted, I agree with you that this first bunch is get the numbers up to replace what we plan to get rid of with his budget.

I do however think that with the money he makes from sales he will target one or two 'quality' signings later in the window, along with anybody he's after from England. Don't think Popov will be signed now, if he's said he will sign a new contract for his club then I guess this should be locked.

No reason he can't sign a new contract with his club and then be sold if Krasnodar get a big enough offer. He has two years left on his current one, so whether he signs a new contract or not wouldn't affect the transfer fee very much I'd have thought - he'll be getting a pay rise.

I get the impression from the way that we are conducting our business is that we are looking to tie deals up at the earliest possible opportunity.

It could well be that Villa (be it Falkner/Lambert or both) have submitted a final offer and told the club that it was final hence them announcing that the deal is dead in the water.Villa look to have moved on and signed the Gronnigan lad instead.

Pity-I would have really liked to have this lad playing for us next season.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Express seem to think we'll go after him again in Jan, also said we agreed personal terms with the player but couldn't agree a fee with his club. Probably BS but worth mentioning.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/430158/Aston-Villa-want-Bulgarian-star-Ivelin-Popov-in-January-after-failed-summer-bid?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-football-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29

Edited by Supervillan78

Both a creative attacking player and another good defender have to be priorities if we're to make any progress, honestly. We are hopelessly blunt behind the front line. He's still not *exactly* an AM, though. Kind of a hybrid forward/AM/winger.

It's not been reported as such a low figure by any outlet. Could be wrong of course (as they were for the Lowton/Westwood fees etc.) but you can only assume that the fee is around £6-7m until proved otherwise.

Â