Please Disable Multi Quote!

supernova26

Question

It's driving me (and no doubt many others) having to scroll down walls of text all the time because numpties are using this function needlessly! It's a nightmare for mobile phone and tablet readers! You only need a quote function no a multi quote, the conversation still runs fine without it.

Please disable it as it's making the forum unusable!

:)

How would it know which post(s) to remove?

It would be intuitive to remove the oldest timestamped quote first. Leaving the newer and presumably more relevant ones in-place.

How would it know which post(s) to remove?

It would be intuitive to remove the oldest timestamped quote first. Leaving the newer and presumably more relevant ones in-place.

and if they aren't timestamped?

It's not an option available in the software anyway :(

Random question, and it's not a huge issue.

Is there anyway to change it from limited to 3 quotes, to limited to 3 LEVELS of quotes, if you understand what I mean?

For example, if I'm answering a long post I'd often break it up and answer points individually. So one long post I might break into 4 or 5 quotes and put a response after each one.

That's not really any different than just quoting the whole thing, it's not really a multi quote.

As I understand it I couldn't do that with the new setup?

I appreciate this may not be possible, but if there was some way you could set it to limit the levels of quote (i.e. a quote of a quote of a quote is the limit) as opposed to number of quotes in total, I think it would be better.

I don't really see what the problem is, to be honest.

If there's too many quotes, the site tells you, so you just scroll up and delete a couple of the early ones. Takes about 5 seconds.

I honestly don't know what you mean. In a quote TREE (so quoting one post with 3/4 post contained within) the posts are imbedded in a way that makes that nigh on impossible? You have to delete the box etc.

In fact I've just noticed that whilst using mobile, no "warning", it just **** up the formatting.

I generally don't quote larger posts Simon.

This simply doesn't work for me.

I think that we are running at one broken format every other day at the moment. That's not enough to worry about. I'm sorry, but if this is only affecting you negatively and many others positively, I'm reluctant to reverse it.

However, I'll report the issue with mobile clients (again); please can you supply the data asked for at the top of the forum?

I honestly don't know what you mean. In a quote TREE (so quoting one post with 3/4 post contained within) the posts are imbedded in a way that makes that nigh on impossible? You have to delete the box etc.

Just delete the text like you would any other text and the quote disappears.

Look, I just did it with the post of mine that you'd quoted above.

I think that we are running at one broken format every other day at the moment. That's not enough to worry about. I'm sorry, but if this is only affecting you negatively and many others positively, I'm reluctant to reverse it.

However, I'll report the issue with mobile clients (again); please can you supply the data asked for at the top of the forum?

iOS and Safari.

Stevo - Yes, that's how it used to work. But now when I delete the txt it leaves the quote box behind but still registers the quote. Then when I go to delete the box all sorts of crazy shit happens. 

This on Windows 7 and Chrome. 

Don't get me started on trying to delete quotes from a tree on mobile. 

If it's just me having issues with it fair enough, do what you've got to do. I was just pointing out that for me, it's a botch job. 

Okay. The software people have found the fault, but they aren't going to fix it until the next major software release.

I'm proposing that I'm going to revert this back so that there is no restriction on multi-/nested- quotes. We can try again when the new software is released (there is no date yet).

Â