Please Disable Multi Quote!

supernova26

Question

It's driving me (and no doubt many others) having to scroll down walls of text all the time because numpties are using this function needlessly! It's a nightmare for mobile phone and tablet readers! You only need a quote function no a multi quote, the conversation still runs fine without it.

Please disable it as it's making the forum unusable!

:)

Why was it unusable? Because it would mess with the software or because people (numpties) can't get used to not using it? Some posters used it instead of the quote embedding 10, 11 posts that you need to scroll down. A real chore. 

Forum is unusable without multiquote.

Yep, I agree with Levi. No multiquote makes it much harder to use.

As Levi says, we tried disabling embedded quotes and the site was much harder to use.

I've just multi quoted all of you just by simply hitting the quote button on each post! Embedded multiquotes are a real drag unless you have a huge monitor, it's just scroll, scroll, scroll...you don't need to use it anyway!

Edited by supernova26

Why was it unusable? Because it would mess with the software or because people (numpties) can't get used to not using it? Some posters used it instead of the quote embedding 10, 11 posts that you need to scroll down. A real chore. 

As Levi says, we tried disabling embedded quotes and the site was much harder to use.

I've just multi quoted all of you just by simply hitting the quote button on each post! Embedded multiquotes are a real drag unless you have a huge monitor, it's just scroll, scroll, scroll...you don't need to use it anyway!

Because say person A quoted Person B.

I then have a point that is relevant to both posts. You need both posts in order for my post to make sense.

Person A might have quoted Person B from 5 pages back in the thread.

That would mean if I want to quote them both I have to go scrolling through pages of thread to find the post I want to quote. And I'm not sure pressing quote on multiple posts works if you have to go onto a different page.

Perhaps as a compromise there could be a limit? Limpid is this possible?

Another forum I use has a limit where you can't have more than 3 embedded quotes in one post.

I'm not fussed, but if people do get annoyed by it this might be a compromise?

PS oh and cheers for the "numpties" bit. I'll take that personally

Edited by Stevo985

Because say person A quoted Person B.

I then have a point that is relevant to both posts. You need both posts in order for my post to make sense.

Person A might have quoted Person B from 5 pages back in the thread.

That would mean if I want to quote them both I have to go scrolling through pages of thread to find the post I want to quote. And I'm not sure pressing quote on multiple posts works if you have to go onto a different page.

Perhaps as a compromise there could be a limit? Limpid is this possible?

Another forum I use has a limit where you can't have more than 3 embedded quotes in one post.

I'm not fussed, but if people do get annoyed by it this might be a compromise?

PS oh and cheers for the "numpties" bit. I'll take that personally

I only mean numpties people who misuse it and don't trim the posts so it's a wall of text.(as above) I still think you don't need it, look at the digitalspy forums the biggest in the UK yet don't use multiquote. But if the boss thinks we must have it a limit would be a good compromise!

Edited by supernova26

This is still an issue a couple of recent complaints in the Beteke thread. 70% of our time on the site is spent scrolling through multi-quotes. It's an annoyance and a big waste of time. Please turn it off, people are quoting dozens of posts at a time it's getting ridiculous. 

Please can you show your working for that 70% figure as I suspect you made it up.

Please can you me who "we" is? How many people are you claiming to represent? On the basis of the responses in this thread, I don't see that anything has changed. You don't like it. Every other person in the thread does.

I'm sorry, but nothing has changed since they first time you asked.

Multiquote is useful.  A small number of people misuse it by quoting the entirety of an exchange when they are only responding to a one-line comment in the latest response.  I suppose it's either laziness or not knowing how to remove all the stuff they don't need to quote.  I agree it's annoying, especially when viewing on a phone.

Maybe when it happens, mods could pm the person doing it and ask them not to, as and when they notice.  As there's only a few people doing it, it shouldn't need doing often, and it's not a big enough problem to use the report feature to ask mods to involve themselves unless they happen to see it.  Would that help?

Peter, there is no guideline against excessive quoting and I don't think there needs to be. It's just extra work for the mods for very little gain.

The incident supernova26 refers to in the Benteke thread was a flare up between two posters.(I have to assume I have the right one, he doesn't say). This flared up and was over before the mods could have stepped in even if someone had reported it. I suspect that due to the nature/timing that supernova26 was following the thread closely and got irritated. When threads are growing as quickly as the Benteke one was at that time, it is even more important to quote what you are replying to, otherwise people do not have time to keep referring back to previous posts.

This isn't a newspaper :)

If I'm way off ball here, I'm open to persuasion, but as you can see in this thread, a lot more people want it left as is than removed.

From the Benteke thread:-

Posted by Rob182 on 15 July 2013 - 04:53 PM in Villa Talk

Arrgghhhh please stop the multi-quotes!!!!!

Posted by briny_ear on 16 July 2013 - 01:15 PM in Villa Talk

Rob182, on 16 Jul 2013 - 1:08 PM, said:snapback.png

Please stop with the massive multi-quotes!!!

Hear hear. Apart from anything else, they are almost impossible to follow on a smartphone.

Posted by Rob182 on 16 July 2013 - 01:18 PM in Villa Talk

briny_ear, on 16 Jul 2013 - 1:15 PM, said:snapback.png

Rob182, on 16 Jul 2013 - 1:08 PM, said:snapback.png

Please stop with the massive multi-quotes!!!

Hear hear. Apart from anything else, they are almost impossible to follow on a smartphone.
I'm either on my smartphone, or I use the mobile version at work, to keep my VT window as small as possible.

Constantly scrolling through quote boxes and single-letter lines is painful.

Posted by omariqy on 18 July 2013 - 11:42 PM in Villa Talk

Multi quote is horrible on a phone fyi

Posted by samjp26 on 19 July 2013 - 01:43 PM in Villa Talk

Shillzz, on 19 Jul 2013 - 1:40 PM, said:snapback.png

Now this page has lots of Claude's thanks to multi-quote.

Thanks Multi Quote.

We need a reply function, a simple 'x post is in reply to y post'.

Posted by AVFCAM on Yesterday, 11:59 AM in Villa Talk

I do hope that now he has signed a new contract, this thread will no longer be flooded with huge amounts ofmulti quote posts!!!
Edited by supernova26

So there you have 5 or 6 people complaining about the feature and making references to it being difficult to navigate on mobile phones etc. 

So I do believe it's an annoyance to many, regardless of whether they've posted on this thread or not.

Edited by supernova26

They are complaining that it's being misused.

Threads on a message board are for debate. I think nested quotes help with debate more than they hinder it. I'm not changing the whole site because a small number of people didn't like them in a single thread.

However, since the discussion above, there is now an option in the software to limit the number of quotes (multi- or nested-) in a post. So now we need to pick a threshold for that.and try it out. I'll do some playing to find out how it works, but does anyone have strong opinions on the value?

but does anyone have strong opinions on the value?

Two quotes is plenty I think. No need to multi-quote more than two posts IMO. 

but does anyone have strong opinions on the value?

Two quotes is plenty I think. No need to multi-quote more than two posts IMO. 

Hey look, I was right  :P

Â