Drugs

PussEKatt

@A'Villan I'm just trying to work out why you would legalise one and not the other, if they were both currently illegal, non-addictive, similarly priced etc etc. In that there's quite a push to legalise cannabis specifically, not a general campaign for broadly harmless drugs. Khat being another example. Massive khat use in Cardiff up until the recent reclassification that made it illegal. yet I don't know of any problems created by khat and don't see a campaign to re legalise it. It's like cannabis has the best PR. I was wondering if its based on any facts.

Is there some property of the one, that would sensibly prevent it being legalised if the other was to be legalised?

Personally, I'm very vanilla and currently working in a few places that have testing. Though to be fair to them, they never test on a Monday or Tuesday unless they've given advance notice.

Edited by chrisp65
added khat ref

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

@A'Villan I'm just trying to work out why you would legalise one and not the other, if they were both currently illegal, non-addictive, similarly priced etc etc. In that there's quite a push to legalise cannabis specifically, not a general campaign for broadly harmless drugs. It's like cannabis has the best PR. I was wondering if its based on any facts.

Is there some property of the one, that would sensibly prevent it being legalised if the other was to be legalised?

Personally, I'm very vanilla and currently working in a few places that have testing. Though to be fair to them, they never test on a Monday or Tuesday unless they've given advance notice.

I don't understand your third paragraph, would you kindly elaborate?

I'm of the opinion all drugs should be decriminalised.

I'm with you, wholeheartedly, in asking questions about why we legalise certain consciousness altering substances and not others.

Afterall, the billion dollar pharmaceutical industry has many a prescription with damaging side effects. Alcohol in terms of addiction is similar to having a light heroin addiction, among a plethora of other issues when abused.

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I don't understand your third paragraph, would you kindly elaborate?

You must know what vanilla means?

Missionary position sex first Saturday of every month, no swapping, no drugs, nothing up the bum, lager shandy, chicken korma.

I'm working in a couple of places that for various reasons test for drug use. Most of them simply use sniffer dogs but accept that the weekend is someone's free time. So they don't sniff test until Wednesday, Thursday, Friday when your hair shouldn't reasonably still smell of Saturday night. One or two of them reserve the right to more intrusive testing.

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You must know what vanilla means?

Missionary position sex first Saturday of every month, no swapping, no drugs, nothing up the bum, lager shandy, chicken korma.

I'm working in a couple of places that for various reasons test for drug use. Most of them simply use sniffer dogs but accept that the weekend is someone's free time. So they don't sniff test until Wednesday, Thursday, Friday when your hair shouldn't reasonably still smell of Saturday night. One or two of them reserve the right to more intrusive testing.

Yeah, I know vanilla.

I thought you meant you work in places that do research ? my bad!

I'm like, 'why won't they do research on Mondays and Tuesdays? How unprofessional.'

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I think so.

My understanding has been that cannabis slides into cerebral receptors that aren't utilised by the body otherwise, suggesting we've been ingesting it for a looooooooong time.

LSD reprograms the connections in your grey matter every time you take it.

If anyone knows better, I'm all ears.

• Like 1

Just now, Xann said:

Yeah, I think so.

My understanding has been that cannabis slides into cerebral receptors that aren't utilised by the body otherwise, suggesting we've been ingesting it for a looooooooong time.

LSD reprograms the connections in your grey matter every time you take it.

If anyone knows better, I'm all ears.

Yeah I've sort of presumed that's a little bit of a plus and minus point for lsd.  It properly randomly interferes with all manner of nerves and receptors so you can't be sure what will happen next time. Though I believe 'flashbacks' and all that are either myth or actually really really rare. Whereas cannabis just sort of rounds off lots of edges. Which is why people that are pot high can get used to it and normalise it and drive home or around town. Whereas I'm not personally aware of anyone mid lsd trip climbing in to a car. But that could also be because people usually had a babysitter with them on an acid weekend.

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah I've sort of presumed that's a little bit of a plus and minus point for lsd.  It properly randomly interferes with all manner of nerves and receptors so you can't be sure what will happen next time. Though I believe 'flashbacks' and all that are either myth or actually really really rare. Whereas cannabis just sort of rounds off lots of edges. Which is why people that are pot high can get used to it and normalise it and drive home or around town. Whereas I'm not personally aware of anyone mid lsd trip climbing in to a car. But that could also be because people usually had a babysitter with them on an acid weekend.

Flashbacks are very real and are not a rarity at all.

I've been in a car, babysitting someone under the influence, traveled over an hour on a 100km/h freeway, and the worst that happened, despite being frustrating, was constant reassurance that they were seeing the white lines between lanes correctly.

In contrast, I have also been in the car of someone under the influence of psylocybin, who had just been sprung trying to spike a girls drink with a mushroom or two (the bottle was see-through and the girl who didn't do drugs put two and two together straight away) whom he had a huge crush on. He decided to boot almost instantly and he was the lift home for some of us so we got in the car with him without too much thought. He started to trip bad, and not in a good way, he was driving down the wrong side of the road and in to on-coming traffic, not unaware to what he was doing, I have no idea what sort of paranoia he was experiencing but he was considering ending all our lives over what had just happened.

I don't think psylocybin is lsd though? I could be wrong, I'm a looong way from being an expert. They are similar, being basically plant based. (I'd never heard of psylocybin until you referenced it so I've just looked it up and its some sort of mushroom extract?) 

Also, I've never seen someone genuinely get a flashback. I've seen people pretend. I've seen people take more when they were supposed not to. I've seen people take it on a school night when they promised they wouldn't. I've heard lots of tales of how it can happen. Never genuinely seen it. I've worked with a couple of people for ten years that go mushrooming, never a flashback between them. I've lived in a community where lsd was taken fairly routinely by a couple of the guys. Never seen them experience it, except when they were determined to be on a session, so frankly, what actually happened was that they took something. The only flashbacks I've ever 'witnessed' have been at too convenient a time for it to be random chance. A quick google suggests its an unproven phenomenomenomenon.

For what its worth, my knowledge here is thin. It was the drug of choice among a group of people that were not my people of choice. Its not like I'm immersed in this stuff by any stretch. So I might be about to bow out because I think I've exhausted my knowledge based on experience in this subject.

As I said, vanilla. In a very happy with vanilla kind of way.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I don't think psylocybin is lsd though? I could be wrong, I'm a looong way from being an expert. They are similar, being basically plant based. (I'd never heard of psylocybin until you referenced it so I've just looked it up and its some sort of mushroom extract?) 

Also, I've never seen someone genuinely get a flashback. I've seen people pretend. I've seen people take more when they were supposed not to. I've seen people take it on a school night when they promised they wouldn't. I've heard lots of tales of how it can happen. Never genuinely seen it. I've worked with a couple of people for ten years that go mushrooming, never a flashback between them. I've lived in a community where lsd was taken fairly routinely by a couple of the guys. Never seen them experience it, except when they were determined to be on a session, so frankly, what actually happened was that they took something. The only flashbacks I've ever 'witnessed' have been at too convenient a time for it to be random chance. A quick google suggests its an unproven phenomenomenomenon.

For what its worth, my knowledge here is thin. It was the drug of choice among a group of people that were not my people of choice. Its not like I'm immersed in this stuff by any stretch. So I might be about to bow out because I think I've exhausted my knowledge based on experience in this subject.

As I said, vanilla. In a very happy with vanilla kind of way.

Sometimes vanilla is best.

Psylocybin is not LSD, no. It is the key component in mushrooms, like THC to marijuana.

Without revealing too much more than I already have about myself on the subject, I will say that I personally have had numerous 'flashbacks', they can be extremely intense and powerful. I have not taken a lot of hallucinogens, by any stretch of the imagination. I had my most recent flashback a few years ago, whilst under immense stress, over a decade after I had my first trip and some years after my last. Perhaps it was the age in which I had my first dose, 14, that has left me vulnerable to such an occurrence, I don't know.

I was under the impression that LSD can remain in your fat cells for life. Upon googling this I have seen that there is a 'myth' label surrounding the subject.

That is absolute trash, guaranteed. I have witnessed others experience them, something that I didn't take too much notice of as I was at an age where incoherence as a result of substance use frustrated me. It was not until I experienced it for myself that I learned how paralysing they could be. Mine had no elements of euphoria to them, and from my observation that was also true of those around me.

Our HSE (Health Service Executive) has very kindly offered some tips (yes, really) for people should they choose to take cocaine and crack.

Ireland ranks fourth highest in the European Union for use of cocaine among young adults.

The Health Service Executive (HSE) has published a list of advice for how users can reduce the harms of cocaine or crack cocaine should they use the drugs.

United Nations data has also previously suggested that Ireland features in the top ten countries for per-capita usage of the drug.

The advice is prefaced by the suggestion: "While it is always safest not to take unknown or illicit drugs at all, if a person chooses to take cocaine they are urged to follow the following harm-reduction advice."

"If you decide to use cocaine, remember:

1. When buying, know your source and avoid using alone
  2. Use one drug at a time and never mix with alcohol
  3. Start with a small test dose and leave at least 2 hours between use
  4. Grind cocaine to remove clumps, use your own sterile straw and never share
  5. Carry a condom – cocaine can increase your sex drive

"If you decide to use crack, remember:

1.  Avoid using homemade crack pipes and don’t share your pipe.
  2. Avoid smoking the full rock.
  3. If injecting, start low and go slow to avoid overdose.
  4. If you feel low after using, seek professional help.
  5. If you or a friend feels suicidal immediately go to a hospital or call 112."

Crucially, the information notes that 93% of all deaths that involve cocaine also involve alcohol or another drug.

The advice is part of the #DoYouUseCocaine programme, which was launched today by Minister of State for Health Promotion & the National Drugs Strategy, Catherine Byrne.

Byrne said: "This is a very important campaign, focusing on providing information and raising awareness about cocaine among drug users and health professionals.

"Recent figures which show an increase in those seeking treatment for cocaine use is of real concern. This evidence supports what we are hearing from some services on the ground that cocaine use, and in particular crack cocaine use, is on the rise."

"I therefore welcome this new campaign which I believe will play a vital role in communicating the risks and dangers of cocaine use to dependent users and at risk groups, as well as to those who engage in recreational use."

Cocaine is a Class A drug in Ireland, and being caught with cocaine either for personal use, or intent to sell, can result in jail time.

The HSE's full statement regarding cocaine harm reduction can be found here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Police have issued a warning amid worries a rogue batch of heroin may contain deadly fentanyl.

Synthetic opioid fentanyl is 100 times more potent than morphine and just 0.002 grams mixed with heroin can kill.

South Wales Police said the discovery was made after a drug addict tested positive for the substance following a non-fatal overdose.

BBC

Don't get your fix in Neath.

Â