Drugs

PussEKatt

Personally I think cannabis is addictive, like smoking, booze and other drugs are. It’s not physically addictive, just mentally. It’s a pretty safe drug, but for the wrong people, and people that completely abuse it, it can have terrible mental health repercussions. I’ve been around pot heads that needed a hit, and they were terrible, but the moment they sparked up they were a different person and felt fine again. A lot of drugs cause brain damage. In the sense that it completely alters the wiring in your brain for the worse. That’s basically brain damage and it can take years to recover . 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well it's just one of those situations where I'll have to agree to disagree. As some who has smoked pot for the last 25 years, I don't find it addictive. 

You must see the irony in your post though?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Well it's just one of those situations where I'll have to agree to disagree. As some who has smoked pot for the last 25 years, I don't find it addictive. 

Yeah and some people don't find heroin addictive. You're right, the vast majority of pot smokers have no issues with it, and no doubt you enjoy smoking it and living your life.

But to deny it's destructively habit-forming for some users is to ignore reality. We all know someone who has lost touch with reality and given up their real-world responsibilities because of a pot habit.

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

You must see the irony in your post though?

No I don't, if I said I'd been drinking alcohol for the last 25 years would that make me an alcoholic? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah and some people don't find heroin addictive. You're right, the vast majority of pot smokers have no issues with it, and no doubt you enjoy smoking it and living your life.

But to deny it's destructively habit-forming for some users is to ignore reality. We all know someone who has lost touch with reality and given up their real-world responsibilities because of a pot habit.

Heroin is designed to be addictive, I've never heard of anyone say anything different. One is a plant and one is chemically created drug. 

I'm not being facetious, but I honestly don't know anyone who's life has been destroyed by pot. Might just be my circle of friends I don't know.

From my experience people just hate pot because they've been told by society that it's bad.

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Heroin is designed to be addictive, I've never heard of anyone say anything different. One is a plant and one is chemically created drug. 

I'm not being facetious, but I honestly don't know anyone who's life has been destroyed by pot. Might just be my circle of friends I don't know.

From my experience people just hate pot because they've been told by society that it's bad.

You know heroin is derived from the opium poppy? It's not "designed to be addictive", it was discovered by scientists experimenting with alternatives to morphine and codeine, which are also derived from opium, and are also addictive. All opioids are addictive. You might be confusing its origins with those of fentanyl, which is a synthetic opioid which has caused a lot of deaths in the States, and was arguably designed to be addictive.

Plant vs. chemical is not a meaningful distinction, and definitely not a sensible way to pick your poison. Lots of plants are fatally poisonous in small doses and lots of synthetically produced chemicals are relatively safe.

From my experience, people don't "hate pot", they hate the evangelism for it. It's a mind-altering substance. Some people get on with it, some don't. It's not the path to spiritual enlightenment, left here on earth as a gift from Jah. There is plenty of evidence that it can trigger or exacerbate mental health problems in vulnerable people, especially if the THC:CBD ratio is skewed towards THC. It's not a societal conspiracy that's driving that.

6 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

You know heroin is derived from the opium poppy? It's not "designed to be addictive", it was discovered by scientists experimenting with alternatives to morphine and codeine, which are also derived from opium, and are also addictive. All opioids are addictive. You might be confusing its origins with those of fentanyl, which is a synthetic opioid which has caused a lot of deaths in the States, and was arguably designed to be addictive.

Plant vs. chemical is not a meaningful distinction, and definitely not a sensible way to pick your poison. Lots of plants are fatally poisonous in small doses and lots of synthetically produced chemicals are relatively safe.

From my experience, people don't "hate pot", they hate the evangelism for it. It's a mind-altering substance. Some people get on with it, some don't. It's not the path to spiritual enlightenment, left here on earth as a gift from Jah. There is plenty of evidence that it can trigger or exacerbate mental health problems in vulnerable people, especially if the THC:CBD ratio is skewed towards THC. It's not a societal conspiracy that's driving that.

Mate clearly you're set in your opinion which is fine. I'll give you a stat. Alcohol does more harm to society than any other drug yet it's legal and accepted.

I don't really have any desire to argue, nor justify my views on pot.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

Cannabis and alcohol is usually the starting point for substance abuse. It’s the first step to harder drugs for many, although I will say alcohol is way more heavy than cannabis. I actually know of one person who ended up with schizophrenia which was caused by heavy cannabis smoking from an early age. I’d rather my kids not take drugs but if they did and it was just a bit of weed, although I wouldn’t like it, I’d prefer that over the heavier stuff. I’d still worry though and I know how cannabis can get out of control. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Cannabis and alcohol is usually the starting point for substance abuse. It’s the first step to harder drugs for many, although I will say alcohol is way more heavy than cannabis. I actually know of one person who ended up with schizophrenia which was caused by heavy cannabis smoking from an early age. I’d rather my kids not take drugs but if they did and it was just a bit of weed, although I wouldn’t like it, I’d prefer that over the heavier stuff. I’d still worry though and I know how cannabis can get out of control. 

Same here, one of my childhood friends ended up with Schizophrenia from smoking on a daily basis so there are dangers although you could say it was always there I guess.

6 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Same here, one of my childhood friends ended up with Schizophrenia from smoking on a daily basis so there are dangers although you could say it was always there I guess.

Same with the lad I knew. He was a fruit cake anyway but the weed tipped him over the edge. Smoking it at such a young age like a lot of them do(14 years of age) then it’s not going to end well is it. 

You don’t need to drink booze everyday to be an alcoholic. The ones that are physically dependant on alcohol need a drink everyday, but I know alcys who don’t drink everyday. I myself have a problem with alchohol, although I’m far from dependant . 

19 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

So if you drink 6 days a week you're not an alcoholic? Your definition of an alcoholic is vague and incorrect.

To be honest you are probably correct, I have no idea what the medical definition of an alcoholic is but my assumption is that someone who drinks every day probably is one.

I'm not trying to say you are addicted to cannabis if you smoke every day, I believe what you are addicted to is the routine of smoking, we are very much creatures of habit, it doesn't matter what the repetitive function is, if you take it away people will struggle with it.

Edited by AVFCDAN

This thread is proof that there is a lack of understanding and proper research being done on drugs, their effects in the short/medium/long term and how those effects differ entirely from person to person. 

We are all (myself very much included) making claims based on personal experiences, mates and people we knew down the pub - none of which is credible, or pushes the debate forward in a meaningful way. 

We are all spouting clap-trap really. We’re just  ‘Mongs on a message board’ as the VT saying goes. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

This thread is proof that there is a lack of understanding and proper research being done on drugs, their effects in the short/medium/long term and how those effects differ entirely from person to person. 

We are all (myself very much included) making claims based on personal experiences, mates and people we knew down the pub - none of which is credible, or pushes the debate forward in a meaningful way. 

We are all spouting clap-trap really. We’re just  ‘Mongs on a message board’ as the VT saying goes. 

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Mate clearly you're set in your opinion which is fine. I'll give you a stat. Alcohol does more harm to society than any other drug yet it's legal and accepted.

I don't really have any desire to argue, nor justify my views on pot.

There's an issue with scale here though. If meth, heroine, cocaine, cannabis (especially high strength skunk), MDMA etc were available legally in the way alcohol was, that picture would be very different.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â