Stadium Redevelopment Stalls.

KjParton

I doubt it would cost that much to at least repaint the cladding claret and blue or something so it at least looks more in-sync with the rest of the Stadia, and less like a random 1970's council office building. AstonVilla-OutsideNorthStand.JPG

that picture has just reminded me how bloody ugly it is, its truly awful from the outside

The photo is old. It's had a couple of clean ups and new signs. Not being a nice looking building doesn't automatically make it an eyesore.

a few years ago (just before randy took over) a picture was released of a model made up of the stadium with the planned new north stand

well to be honest, by looking at that picture, it looks just as awful as the current stand, just bigger

the north stand desperately needs redevelopment, its hideous, and it needs the corners filling in, i know with the stadium open it helps 'air' the pitch, but it also gets breezy inside, it should definitely look like the trinity stand, this means losing the wonderful corner flag restaurant, but itll be worth it for a new look stadium

another thing that gets to me, its that looking down from google earth etc, the roofing/angles of the corners of the trinity and holte end stands are not cemitrical, completely pointless, yes theres a road in the way, so make the far side corners the same!!

a few years ago (just before randy took over) a picture was released of a model made up of the stadium with the planned new north stand

well to be honest, by looking at that picture, it looks just as awful as the current stand, just bigger

the north stand desperately needs redevelopment, its hideous, and it needs the corners filling in, i know with the stadium open it helps 'air' the pitch, but it also gets breezy inside, it should definitely look like the trinity stand, this means losing the wonderful corner flag restaurant, but itll be worth it for a new look stadium

another thing that gets to me, its that looking down from google earth etc, the roofing/angles of the corners of the trinity and holte end stands are not cemitrical, completely pointless, yes theres a road in the way, so make the far side corners the same!!

That last paragraph sounds very OCD!

lol, i am abit (vacuumed the lounge about a douzen times yesderday) but surely cemitry (sp?) is most important to an international (lol) football stadium?

well unless you google earth it i suppose you wont really notice

a stadium has to look good from every angle? :-)

a unfortunately, villa park doesnt, it actually quite an ugly stadium

It looks ugly if you're focusing purely on the North Stand, other than that it's a really great looking stadium!

It looks ugly if you're focusing purely on the North Stand, other than that it's a really great looking stadium!

meh. the witton lane and north stand look shit IMO

meh. the witton lane and north stand look shit IMO

'Shit', really? Where does that leave other stadiums which are undoubtly worse? Shiterer?

It increasingly seems that if something isn't good it must be absolutely crap.

Villa park lost something when the old trinity got demolished. Lerner has done a nice job putting the mosaics and stained glass in the Holte, but its not the same as the Trinity. Villa Park has always been a collection of 4 stands and have lacked a well thought out plan since the days of Rinder. Mind you bar Man U, that has been the case for most other British Clubs. I give you the example of the (Sir?!) Doug Ellis stand obstructing the view of some seats in the Lower Holte, when both stands were rebuilt in the mid 90s- the original thinking was to bolt seats on the Holte terrace before they changed their minds.

I think there have been 2 models of potential new north stands- one under Doug which just looked like a extention of the new trinity, and a photo shot at the time of the 2018 world cup bid which looked a bit better. All a bit pie in the sky at the moment though.

If anyone is interested in the History of Villa Park may I point you to the excellent 'Villa Park-100 years' by SImon Inglis. It was written in 1997 so there is nothing about Mr Inglis low opinion of the Trinity knock down or discussions of a new North Stand.

Edited by The Fun Factory

The stadium is fine, there's no point improving it if the team is shite. I sat in the North Stand against QPR, yes the seating was a bit cramped but it was fine.

I really couldn't give a shit what the outside looks like, that went when they knocked down the original Trinity Road stand and built that plastic fantastic monstrosity.

No point redeveloping villa park especially to increase capacity. Its too big for us as it is!

51,000 capacity Villa Park stadium could be sold out easily, with ticket price reductions.

To be fair there have been occasions this season where the club have sold tickets for £10 per person and we still haven't sold out. How cheap do you want them to be exactly lol?

I doubt it would cost that much to at least repaint the cladding claret and blue or something so it at least looks more in-sync with the rest of the Stadia, and less like a random 1970's council office building. 

AstonVilla-OutsideNorthStand.JPG

They have recladded the building and cleaned up the concrete.  It would help if you picked a photo that wasn't ten years old. 

7273642246_283f99e6f1_b.jpg

It looks more like this these days.  Yes, it is still a 1970s brutalist office complex, but it's functional.  I'd hope when it does get rebuilt then we will see a red brick facade like the Holte end has but the implication that Villa Park is a bad looking stadium is laughable because even from it's ugliest corner (this photograph) it is still better than most grounds. 

Â