Stadium Redevelopment Stalls.

KjParton

Well the safe standing bill needs to be passed by Government i believe.

In terms of not filling it - all you need to do is lower ticket prices. 

and is there any reference of the plans for it being scrapped? 

I don't buy into this thinking personally.

Lowering ticket prices does not guarantee the kind of increase you would need to make it as or more profitable than the current takings, if you lower the price for the 35,000 core fans who turn up every week to entice an extra 1-2,000 people (even this is a generous estimate in my opinion) then it's pretty pointless, the club would probably lose money.

The fact is that it's an easy excuse for people to use these days to not attend matches, I use it having binned my season ticket last year but the truth is for the past 18-24 months I haven't wanted to go watch Villa cos they've been shit, generally.

You may be right about the ticket price issue.

However hopefully, if we push on next season we can start to get bigger gates again. I thought it was heart-warming (albeit strange) that we had 30,000 vs West Ham, then we soared to 38k for QPR, 37k for Fulham, 42k's for both Liverpool and Chelsea. and nearly 38k for a monday night game on TV in the pouring rain! That must tell you something that people are coming back. 

A few decent signings in the summer and I think we could start to see regular attendances of 38-40k again (obviously depends on how we are playing)

Until we get to the point where we are getting an average gate of 40k there is no point even thinking about redevelopment/expansion.

Id agree the North Stand is a bit of  a shed but its not that bad.

Well done to Randy on this one, much better to spend £16M bringing the training facilities up to standard than spend £20+ million on a new stand. It's been proven demonstrably that it was the correct decision. I can think of a scenario with even with hindsight where that extra capacity would have been really worth the money. Unless you live in some lala land where everything should have been perfect, and damn Randy for not making it so when its sooo easy, from my computer.

Top marks.

I would be suprised if the Premier League ever allow standing. Its againist their principles of screwing the fans and pushing ticket prices up. And I dont think the government can really be bothered to push it. The FA are nowhere to be found on the issue as usual.

• Like 2

Get the team sorted first, then when the games are exciting the fans will come. Neutral fans, those that love good football, a good game will fill the stands. Then with a decent team, home grown, young players these fans of football could become villa fans, we have the catchment area it's upto the powers that be to fill it. UTV

Ps I don't like that pictures, it's like flat pack stadium with those ugly support structures

Just think of that ridiculous redevelopment work Wolves have done.  Now they've gone down two divisions they look rather stupid - there was nothing wrong with Molyneaux.  There's very little wrong with the North Stand other than needing tarting up a bit, rebuilding it would be as big a waste of money as Nigel Reo-Coker.

That is true Sharky, but lets remember in all honesty we're a bigger club than Wolves. We're the highest supported club in the midlands. 

I think maybe in a few years if we start playing better we'll get bigger gates. 

Pointless to even think about it at this stage, really. 

If we get the the point where we are European regulars, then it'd be the right time to talk about redevelopment. 

I doubt it would cost that much to at least repaint the cladding claret and blue or something so it at least looks more in-sync with the rest of the Stadia, and less like a random 1970's council office building. 

AstonVilla-OutsideNorthStand.JPG

Edited by supernova26

Since Randy Lerner came in he talked of a North stand redevelopment. The grotty looking stand is in need of a brush

It was originally talked about in 2009 in preparation for the London 2012 Olympics, however we pulled out of the runnings (supposedly) as we couldn't commit as to whether we would be developing the stadium or not.

So why do you think it has stalled? Is Randy not prepared to spend? Are they worried we couldn't fill the 51k (easy combat-able by lowering ticket prices!)

What are your views and do you think we can expect anything like this in the near future:

vp2011internal.png

Was that picture an interpretation of Ellis' vision for the stadium based on a model he had built.

Also I do not recall anything coming from Lerner or the board regarding a rebuild of the North Stand, hasn't it always been guesswork and rumours.

TrentVilla, on 30 May 2013 - 2:43 PM, said:

Work hadn't started on BMH prior to Lerner's arrival although some plans were in place.

That isn't my recollection of the matter at all, the work had most definitely started but had stopped due to the inability of Ellis to fund it, the concrete shell of the building was already there, then the building work stopped and as the development was underway BH was actually worse than in was before the work started. BH was definitely priority ahead of the North stand, which at the end of the day was perfectly adequate for the job in the short term and even now in the medium term, it still for fills its function, the ground is rarely full, why bother

I doubt it would cost that much to at least repaint the cladding claret and blue or something so it at least looks more in-sync with the rest of the Stadia, and less like a random 1970's council office building. 

Dear God it does look terrible. 

that picture has just reminded me how bloody ugly it is, its truly awful from the outside

Â