The good in goodbye - cheerio to L'il Lee

BOF

Those of you who like to see the Villa knock the ball around in a creative, dangerous manner will look back on some of our better performances under JG and DOL and see the name Hendrie on the team sheet.

When coupled with players who like to push the ball around and move intelligently - particularly Angel, Solano and Barry - Hendrie was in his element and would cause opposition defence all sorts of headaches with his dummies, turns and lay offs. He could also shoot from a distance and scored some spectacular goals.

I would like to see him get his chance under MON - especially as Davis has been out of sorts and Petrov struggling to find his feet.

However, people seem to judge him by his off the pitch behaviour and the fact that he was NOT the "ball-winner" type of midfielder....

... while conveniently forgetting that this mirrored Merson's behaviour and playing style - who remains a firm fan favourite.

Maybe the reaction just shows, for once, what I wrote to be right.

I wouldn't be so harsh on yourself, Blandy. Most of what you write is not only right but well thought out and well presented. I - like most posters here, I suspect - not only enjoy your posts and game reviews but look forward to them.

Sorry if this comes across as pissing in your pocket - it's not meant that way.

As for Hendrie - is there any news of his staying or going yet?

... while conveniently forgetting that this mirrored Merson's behaviour and playing style - who remains a firm fan favourite.

I don't remember Merson ever getting involved with away fans

I don't remember Merson ever being a petutlant little boy on the field

I don't remember Hendrie ever having the same impact that Merson would have on a game

I don't remember Hendrie ever having the same impact that Merson would have on a game

I dont remember Hendrie having a drinking problem

I dont remember Hendrie having a gambling problem

I dont remember Hendrie ever stop running or go missing like Merson would.

I dont remember Merson celebrating a goal like Hendrie did.

The point I was making was simply this: Both players were flawed. And both had some real talent that - when on song - was a joy to behold.

However, one is regarded as a "legend" in his 3 villa seasons. The other - despite 10 years of service - is a favourite with the boo boys.

However, one is regarded as a "legend" in his 3 villa seasons. The other - despite 10 years of service - is a favourite with the boo boys.

I'm not sure even Lee himself would, to be honest, put himself in the same class as merse.

I'm not sure even Lee himself would, to be honest, put himself in the same class as merse.

Neither would I, PB. Merson played many games for England, Lee played 1. There is a reason for that.

The similarities are just with their role on the pitch, and their poor behaviour off the field. Interesting how many have opposite views on them.

And that is the only point I am trying to make.

I've never heard it put like that before and as a fan of both I have to say you do make a very good point.

Maybe, in some twisted way, Merson's flaws helped to endear him to the crowd whereas they saw Hendrie's flaws as somewhat less endearing. Merse always looked a vulnerable soul who couldn't help but have his problems, whereas maybe the impression was that Hendrie WAS in control of his faculties and brought it all on himself so therefore wasn't the victim. I dunno. It's a bit of a strange one though.

Anyhoo, on their day both of them had the ability to change or carry a match on their own.

The point I was making was simply this: Both players were flawed. And both had some real talent that - when on song - was a joy to behold.

Merson was never a legend in my book but he is far and away the most skillful player I have seen in my time at VP, no other player comes close.

His off field stuff never impinged on Merse's ability on the pitch and when it came out no-one actually ever knew it publically.

seen how articulate Merse is on TV, seen how fair he is and someone I know who has met both Merse and Hendrie has said the gulf in class is palatable.

Nothing was ever too much for Merse, signing autographs etc. Hendrie did it all with a sneer and snarl.

Merson was never a legend in my book but he is far and away the most skillful player I have seen in my time at VP, no other player comes close.

Now that I cant argue with. I like Lee, I think he has great talent and is a real asset.

But Merson was better.

His off field stuff never impinged on Merse's ability on the pitch and when it came out no-one actually ever knew it publically.

seen how articulate Merse is on TV, seen how fair he is and someone I know who has met both Merse and Hendrie has said the gulf in class is palatable.

Nothing was ever too much for Merse, signing autographs etc. Hendrie did it all with a sneer and snarl.

Perhaps that's it then. They have their flaws, but maybe Hendries are more in his personality whereas Merson had some personal struggles.

Still, I'd like to see Hendrie get his chance under MON.

Â