McGrath & Taylor confirmed for Dublin AVFC party on Aug 3rd/4th

On the weekend of August 3rd & 4th, Villa are over in Dublin to play Shamrock Rovers in a pre-season friendly. That bit you already knew.

What you didn't know was that the whole weekend is an official AVFC party in Dublin being hosted in Murrays Bar on O'Connell Street and that God himself - Paul McGrath will be joined by Ian Taylor, the League Cup from 1996 and a still-to-be-confirmed 4th guest. There will be thousands there over the course of the weekend. For those who were present for the Bohemians game a few years back you have an idea of what to expect. For everyone else I can only invite you and say it will be an awesome weekend well worth coming over for. It's a Bank Holiday weekend in Ireland so if you are planning on making the short trip across from England, it might be an idea to book the Monday off work because Sunday night will be every bit as mental as Saturday.

For more details on the plans for that weekend you can visit the details page of the supporters group website.

The more the merrier guys and gals. You know it makes sense :D

935120_10151675754106420_1865812602_n.jp

BOF EDIT because of merge

A section of [most clubs' supporters] are true scum.

Fixed.

You go to much LoI BOF? Shams are way out on their own in the scummy supporters as a % of crowd department.

I'm not saying they're gonna be attacking Villa supporters or anything, they're just unpleasant. Like a mini-me Birmingham City.

I don't go, but a friend of mine and his kid go all the time. The actual Shamrock Rovers fans are no worse than Bohemians or St. Pats. The problem can be that the location is in the heart of a very bored lower-class area and you can get trouble from people with no association to Shamrock Rovers (i.e. locals, though ones who doubtless follow the similarly-attired Glasgow Celtic). It's why most of the trouble I've heard about happens on the Luas after the game.

Have to disagree there BOF, sure there are plenty of genuine Tallaght Shamrock fans, but there is plenty of scum in their crowd as well. That's despite all the lifetime bans Shams say they've handed out over the years. I've seen plenty of their 'fans' hijinx with my own eyes over the years so I have!

RE: Zatman I agree Bohs can be as bad as Shams, Both clubs have a long way to go before they can be considered paragons of virtue like the mighty CCFC :P.

Edited by Corcaigh

You must know that the majority of Shamrock Rovers fans are not actually from Tallaght. They were groundless and nomadic for years. A friend of mine to this day boycotts the GAA (and by extension O'Neills) because they tried to buy or evict Rovers from some ground years back.

Anyhoo, for a PL opponent there'll be no local rivalry and a stronger police presence :)

I'll see you all there.

You must know that the majority of Shamrock Rovers fans are not actually from Tallaght. They were groundless and nomadic for years. A friend of mine to this day boycotts the GAA (and by extension O'Neills) because they tried to buy or evict Rovers from some ground years back.

Yeah the ground is the one they are playing in now. Thomas Davis GAA I think is the club which held up the building of the ground as they argued that as it was a publicly funded stadium then it should be open to the GAA to play in as well.

The man who was their owner, sold their ground and made them homeless went on to become a CCFC FAI delegate, nice guy from what I heard  :D.

Villa fans reading this in a few months time and going to the game, just have your wits about you and travel in groups to and from Dublin city centre, you should be fine.

I may be misinformed about this but I've been told that the GAA's behavior over the development of the stadium was disgraceful. They pulled every underhand legal trick and political maneuver they could to make sure Shamrock couldn't build their stadium over the fear that they would lose any talent in Tallaght to soccer. Whilst it was the local club that were the focal point they had the weight of the GAA (and their cash) and all of it's political pals behind them.

I may be misinformed about this but I've been told that the GAA's behavior over the development of the stadium was disgraceful. They pulled every underhand legal trick and political maneuver they could to make sure Shamrock couldn't build their stadium over the fear that they would lose any talent in Tallaght to soccer. Whilst it was the local club that were the focal point they had the weight of the GAA (and their cash) and all of it's political pals behind them.

Pretty much this. To be fair, in theory I can see it from the GAA's side, a municipal stadium should be open to all, after all Ireland underage rugby matches are played in there as well. I understand that in Tallaght stadiums case, the dimensions of the pitch wouldn't allow GAA matches to be played on it without having to scrap the plans for the stadium and start again. By the time the GAA brought their case the stadium was already being built, so the optics of it definitely looked like they were just trying to delay its construction and Shams moving in for as long as possible.

The gross hypocrisy comes from the GAA who are adept at hoovering up all public monies to build their own facilities, try asking them can a football team play in one of their many impressive stadiums -invariably payed for almost entirely by the Irish taxpayer like Croke Park - and you'll be laughed at in most case's, told to **** off, or in Croke Parks' case you'll be asked to provide a cheque for a cool couple of million euro before they let you in. 

the GAA are a nasty organisation. they take everything but never like giving back.

Most Rovers fan I know are OK and they have a bad reputation for a few stupid things in the past and bit of media bashing. but they played Linfield recently (to describe to non Irish fans is potentially a smaller version of Old Firm) but was no trouble at game was maybe 3 arrests for disorder though the media made out like chaos happened.

Am sure nothing will happen and especially with a big team in town police presence will be there

Does anyone definatly know if this game is going ahead its down for the August weekend 2nd-4th ive spoke to a few rovers fans they reckon it depends if Villa get relegated as thats when the championship season starts.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone definatly know if this game is going ahead its down for the August weekend 2nd-4th ive spoke to a few rovers fans they reckon it depends if Villa get relegated as thats when the championship season starts.

Its definately happening*. Some things look like they're being arranged in the background.

Saw a minor update on http://astonvilla.ie/shamrock-rovers-vs-aston-villa-august-2013/ today.

Looks like its going to be a massive weekend. Word on the street is they're getting some major stars to make an appearance too for a Villa party in Dublin CIty Centre.(Its bank holiday in Ireland that weekend)

Match seems to have moved to Sunday 4th at the moment but everything is TBC and they have said it is because of our situation in the league.

I'd say once Villa are mathimatically safe then all will be revealed.

Really looking forward to this.. as away days and pre-season goes. The one the Irish Lions did in 2010 was one of the best. Apprantly this one will be better!

On the verge of booking a hotel on O'Connell Street and going for this with the missus. Anyone go to the last one? it looks like it could be a really good weekend.

Edited by markavfc40

Yeah its great craic best thing about this one is getting the luas down to that kip tallaght .....god I`d hate to be from tallaght ......tallaght is like worse than the `mun  wow to be from tallaght ...hate it would I 

Going to book the Ibis hotel by the Red Cow. Stayed there before, cheap, nice hotel & Luas just over the road .

Its bank holiday weekend mate, so no late night Luas, you'll end up getting taxis back on nights and spending more in the long run....  done it myself before and wished I hadn't.

I've booked into the Gate Hotel, right next to Murrays bar.

Theres a list of hotels close by on the Irish Lions Website: http://astonvilla.ie/

Â