Neymar - the new superstar, or the new Robinho?

Neymar - new Ronaldo, or new Robinho?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Neymar - new Ronaldo, or new Robinho?

This poll is closed to new votes

There's a lot of debate over Neymar, and whether he'll be a success at Barcelona or not. 

If you're not familiar with how good he is (or even if you think you are), take a look at this:
http://soccersagacity.com/2013/05/26/neymar-barcelonas-new-superstar-2/

Technically gifted, arrogant, selfish...a number of good and bad traits. No doubt, he is a talent.

I think Villanova needs to use Messi as a mentor, so that Neymar learns how to mix his individual brilliance with team work ethic. It's about the right skills at the right time.

Full debate here on whether or not he'll succeed at Barcelona:

http://soccersagacity.com/2013/05/26/barcelona-gamble-on-superstar-neymar/

• Like 1

for me he is going to flop like Robinho. He hasnt shown anything in the Olympics, the Brazil friendlies against decent nations like Italy or England or even in World Club Cup to justify the hype.

Lucas Moura has looked a much better prospect and I believe he will prove a better signing for PSG

I thought he was meant to be staying in Brazil until the WC. There'll be a lot of pressure on him next summer and I'm not sure he'll cope with it all.

He was due to stay until after the World Cup, but as his contract expires then (July 2014) he would have been eligible to leave on a free transfer, which Santos couldn't afford. Therefore, they had to cash in on him now.

The transfer is said to be around £23m with another £7m add-ons if (/when) he wins the Champions League.

Agree that he hasn't yet done it internationally, but then again Brazil as a whole have hardly lit up the World for the past 5 years.

Also have to agree that Lucas Moura is a great prospect, perhaps more ready-made to slot into European football, but I think Neymar has the great eventual potential...

I guess at Barcelona he can't be that bad. A return of less than 20 goals next season would probably be deemed a poor return. For the money, and if you consider what Zenit/Monaco/Anzhi have spent on much worse players recently (£45m for James Rodriguez??) then it's great business for Barcelona.

The marketing return will probably pay for itself...

I think he'll be a success, the Spanish league will be good for him as will playing with the players already in Barcelona's side. He's a bit lightweight but very quick and skillful and that will hold him in good stead.

Ridiculous poll. He's neither the new Ronaldo, Messi, Bosko Balaban or Emile Heskey. He's a distinct and marvelous individual talent, who could potentially be a successful signing for Barcelona. Only time will tell how good he will be in Europe.

Extra-ordinary talent who can do just about anything with a football. Though arrogant in his on field play, he seems to be a fairly mature and humble person off it and as long as he's willing to learn, I'm sure he'll go onto become one of the finest players in the world.

Only question is how Barcelona use him, a change of attacking style may have to be on the cards, reduce the Messi dependency and allow Neymar as well as Sanchez to flourish more and become a better team hopefully.

Regardless of how well he actually plays (that is, assuming he most likely won't go and score 40 goals in his first season), I get the feeling that the insurmountable hype and the inescapable comparisons to Messi will lead to him being considered a bit of a flop, at which point he'll be sold/traded to the likes of Milan or Juve in some incredibly convoluted deal, will do rather well for them, then be brought back to Spain by Madrid. 

He's already hated quite a lot by some fans due to his hype. Which considering his goal return at his age is quite frankly deserved.

I think he will be a success.  He won't be the best player in Barcelona's team, and some people will use that as a stick to beat him with, but he will definitely be a success. 

Â