Player Salaries

LoughboroughLion

Looking back to when angel had that season when he was scoring for fun, he signed the biggest contract the club had ever paid out, rumoured to be 38k per week, that was 2004, just 3 years later we were paying beye, sidwell, Davies and a host of other wasters 45k+ per week.

Whilst we have paid silly money in the past and we do need to move players on that are not doing it on the pitch for us we should not 9 years on from paying JPA £38k pw (to quote Jimzk5) be looking at only signing players who will take near the same or less now. Football, players and their agents expectations have moved on since then so we need to be realistic on what wages we will need to pay to sign and to keep players. What has happened in the past should not cost us that bright future.

I read a report that Dortmund's wage bill is lower than ours. I wonder if this is reflected in Bundesliga wages generally. If their bill is lower than ours how can they contemplate signing Benteke as reported?

I read a report that Dortmund's wage bill is lower than ours. I wonder if this is reflected in Bundesliga wages generally. If their bill is lower than ours how can they contemplate signing Benteke as reported?

I'd imagine the fact they got massive money for winning the Champions League helps, add in the money the got for Kagawa, Gotze & now Lewandowski it'll be mere pennies to them.

Edited by Folski

I'd imagine the fact they got massive money for winning the Champions League helps, add in the money the got for Kagawa, Gotze & now Lewandowski it'll be mere pennies to them.

Ah so it wasn't Bayern who won it - it was Dortmund ;)

• Like 1

this is roughly what i get the wage bill to be for the season just finished (2012/13) - individual figures might be slightly higher/lower, but it will balance out overall:

£ per week

Bent - 70

Ireland  -  65

Given  -  60

Dunne  -  55

N'Zogbia  -  55

Agbonlahor  -  50

Warnock  -  40

Vlaar  -  30

Makoun - 35

Benteke - 25

Hutton  -  25

Delph  -  25

Holman  -  25

El-Ahmadi - 25

Lowton - 20

Guzan - 15

Delfouneso  -  15

Albrighton  -  15

Herd - 15

Sylla - 10

Bannan  -  10

Clark  -  10

Stevens - 10

Lichaj - 5

Baker - 5

Weimann - 5

Carruthers - 5

Gardner - 5

Other players  -  25

Petrov - 0 (medical insurance would have paid his salary once diagnosed)

Total - £755k per week = £39m

+ NI 12.8%, Medical Insurance 10%, Bonuses 15% = £51m

+ Lambert = £2.4m 

+ Non-footballing staff = £10m

Total Wages 2012/13 = £63m

For next season, we have definitely lowered wages by Dunne, Warnock, Lichaj, Makoun, saving £9m.

So wages next season will be £54m (before any in/out transfers), revenue will be around £100 due to increased TV revenue, so our wage % turnover is 54%.

60% is the 'accepted' prudent figure, so we can increase wages by £6m on top any other players who leave.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

Well it lists it as 4.16m, which is a huge 80k a week. I mean I'm sure we take it with a pinch of salt, but it can't be that far off can it? I mean no smoke without fire and all that

If I remember correctly I think we are paying 60K and city are topping it up to the 80K.

This was always going to end in tears!

Spurs are apparently still paying Bentley £50k pw - What a waste - I wonder why they haven't purged all their high earners - and recruited players from the lower leagues on 20k pw ?

This policy will end in disaster - as we are now seeing even if players come to us on low wages - if they look the business, they will want parity with the going rate for a prem player - be that at villa or somewhere else. I don't believe you can sustain a premier league side without paying premier league wages.

Spurs are apparently still paying Bentley £50k pw - What a waste - I wonder why they haven't purged all their high earners - and recruited players from the lower leagues on 20k pw ?

This policy will end in disaster - as we are now seeing even if players come to us on low wages - if they look the business, they will want parity with the going rate for a prem player - be that at villa or somewhere else. I don't believe you can sustain a premier league side without paying premier league wages.

How about sustaining a football club so there is one to support?

Give £20k contracts to young players. They perform bad, no worries, they cost pennies, sell them on at cost/for a small loss. They perform well boost their contracts up or sell them on for huge profits if they wont accept wages in line with what we can offer.

How about sustaining a football club so there is one to support?

Agree - that's generally the job of a billionaire owner and why fans get excited when one purchases your club. There are small number of clubs which are now owned by supporters, these tend to be very poor in terms of cash.

W eve swallowed this issue of wages hook, line and sinker. The situation at villa isn't unique, plenty of clubs have costly players unable to get in the side - but Villa have hyped up these big earners - and made a club policy focused on players that have failed. Every summer we hear how the manager will have more scope now player x is leaving - then the following summer its player 'y' - Meanwhile the club looks further and further away from being a premiership force. Im already plotting next season hoping we won't be quite as sh*t as Hull, Cardiff, stoke , Norwich.

Young and Hungry - My ars* - more like cheap and cheerful  !! 

Give £20k contracts to young players. They perform bad, no worries, they cost pennies, sell them on at cost/for a small loss. They perform well boost their contracts up or sell them on for huge profits if they wont accept wages in line with what we can offer.

Are we in the business of producing players ? - or building a team that we can be proud of ? - The problem as I see it, is that we won't boost there contracts in line with whats on offer elsewhere - ergo the better players move on.

Are we in the business of producing players ? - or building a team that we can be proud of ? - The problem as I see it, is that we won't boost there contracts in line with whats on offer elsewhere - ergo the better players move on.

Somewhere in the middle. Build good enough to be as good as the likes of Everton and Liverpool in the hope that we can find a group of players good enough to challenge them and maybe make a move onto the top 5 or 6 if one of Arsenal or Spurs seriously mess up in the coming years.

Â