Player Salaries

LoughboroughLion

Not sure if this deserves its own thread or whether it even merits a thread but I just noticed something I haven't seen before.

When I googled members of our squad, or any player really, I found their estimated salary is listed in the information box that comes up. At first I assumed this was just simply dragging information from Wikipedia, but the information isn't on Wikipedia.

You can all do it simply enough for yourselves so I won't link it, but just out of interest it lists DB9's salary as 3.36m per year and Shay Given's as 2.86m. Is this new or has it always been there?

Well it lists it as 4.16m, which is a huge 80k a week. I mean I'm sure we take it with a pinch of salt, but it can't be that far off can it? I mean no smoke without fire and all that

I think the internet proves there is often smoke without fire!

Over the months after a signing there are 'leaks' of salary. How accurate they are I don't know. These figures you mention could just be an average of what is rumoured.

It seems strange that the yearly salaries quoted are made up from round-ish weekly figures. Wouldn't a contract be made up as a round-ish yearly figure? I'd have thought agents would be asking for £Xm per year or £XXm over a long contract, not asking for a weekly wage. For some reason, the media love 'per week' figures and you can bet they are rounded up, and then some.

Also, the figures quoted may include bonuses based on a good deal of success; something that hasn't happened for a while! The media always state DB9 cost us £24m and yet I remember it as £17m or so plus add-ons, many of which we are unlikely to have to pay. Still, £24m sounds a lot more spectacular than (for example) £19.18m!

• Like 1

If you type in Stephen Ireland salary Villa lots of links come up that say 80k ! So it seems the figures are accurate. F**k me sideways what were we thinking? 

He never wanted to come here so we offered him stupid wages thinking the deal would work. I seem to recall that Man City were paying half his wages for the first year too.

Its undoubtebtly turned out to be the worst deal in our history.

If you type in Stephen Ireland salary Villa lots of links come up that say 80k ! So it seems the figures are accurate. F**k me sideways what were we thinking? 

So the deal as real cost us the whole Milner fee

Can't find VillaTalk X1 Player Manager StefanAVFC's wages listed.........................why the big secret? :);)

I do it purely for the love of the game and the women

Dont Man City pay a percentage of Ireland & Dunnes wages?

I think so. They've certainly cut this sort of deal with a lot of others. **** hell our past spending really is a disgrace. No wonder we're having such problems. I loved the 'free spending' attitude while it lasted but in hindsight I wish it never happened!!!

Dont Man City pay a percentage of Ireland & Dunnes wages?

I think it was a case of City gave them a once off lump sum pay off to compensate them for the loss of money per week.

Guzan = $1.7m which, by my (well, all right, Convertbot's) calculation, is £1.12m, so about £21,000 pw.

When you try to establish the source of this figure, it seems to come from a site called US Futblog, which is quoting info from an ESPN Insider report dating back to April 2011.

So Google us really just summarising whatever it can find on the Internet. There is no reason to think these figures are any more authoritative than ones we have seen on the web elsewhere.

Being a financial Planner to many football players, I can tell you that a lot of the rumoured salaries you see in the media are wide of the mark. Strangely, the Championship figures I see seem to be quite accurate in terms of a base salary. However a lot of those players pay gets increased once they hit a certain threshold in games through the season.

Edited by omariqy

Guzan = $1.7m which, by my (well, all right, Convertbot's) calculation, is £1.12m, so about £21,000 pw.

When you try to establish the source of this figure, it seems to come from a site called US Futblog, which is quoting info from an ESPN Insider report dating back to April 2011.

So Google us really just summarising whatever it can find on the Internet. There is no reason to think these figures are any more authoritative than ones we have seen on the web elsewhere.

since then we released him and probably signed him back on a smaller contract

Â