RAF Typhoons scrambled after Pakistan Airline incident

mjmooney

RAF Typhoon jets have been launched to investigate an incident involving a civilian aircraft within UK airspace, the Ministry of Defence has said.

A Pakistan International Airlines plane has been diverted from Manchester to Stansted Airport, a Manchester Airport spokesman said.

An Essex Police spokeswoman added: "An incident has occurred on an aircraft. Police and partners are responding."

The BBC understands that the plane has now landed in Stansted.

BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale said that police were expected to meet the plane at the airport.

The plane, flight number PK709, reportedly left Lahore at 09:35 local time. It was due in at Manchester at 14:00 BST.

BBC

Why divert from Manchester to Stansted, they were over the Yorkshire

Because Stansted is the designated airport to go to if a plane has a situation which involves hijacking etc.

• Like 1

Stansted is England's designated airport for airline security risks. Flights with any security issues are diverted there, or Glasgow, and thus the staff there are trained for this sorry of thing unlike other airports.

Only slightly behind there!

Edited by Chindie

They wouldn't use Glasgow, Scots airport staff have a habit of dealing with trouble makers in their own local way.

Like, to quote Frankie Boyle, punching a burning man.

They wouldn't use Glasgow, Scots airport staff have a habit of dealing with trouble makers in their own local way.

Like, to quote Frankie Boyle, punching a burning man.

That'll be the one, but I'd heard it was a kicking.

This is really odd.  It seems to have been some sort of argument between passengers - some reports say man and wife, some two men.  I suppose after Woolwich they're treating anything as potential terrorism if it involves people likely to be Muslim.

But why would it makes sense, a few miles from Manchester, to make a detour that looks like being 15 times longer than just landing as planned (Assuming they haven't just made up the map)?  Why would that be a safer thing to do?

Route-of-the-Pakistan-Int-010.jpg

I would imagine that is was various reasons probably Peter. As others have said nominated airports, then you have to factor in speed that you can bring the plane to land due to "traffic", resources to deal with the incident and perceived risk etc. That extra would probably only been an extra few minutes

This is really odd.... why would it make sense, a few miles from Manchester, to make a detour that looks like being 15 times longer than just landing as planned (Assuming they haven't just made up the map)?  Why would that be a safer thing to do?

Time, Peter. If something kicks off on a plane that's 20 minutes or whatever from landing, then there's little time available for preparation on the ground. On the Other hand, by diverting the aircraft into a loiter, in the direction of Coningsby, it would be able to be met by the Typhoons more quickly, they in turn would be able to report eye contact with the aircraft, the aircraft would be at an altitude whereby its safer for people on the ground, below, the aircraft would for a fair part of the time be back over water. Stantead would be given time to clear the way and other aircraft out of the way in readiness for accepting the aircraft and dealing with any circumstances that might arise. - from fire, to explosion, to apprehending individuals and so on. There's a myriad of reasons, basically.

One for the conspiracy thread ?

Wouldn't have thought so.  It comes across as misinterpreting the situation and going for the safest possible course of action.

I wonder if the people arguing were given any indication that their behaviour might cause the plane to be diverted and treated as a potential terrorist incident (with presumably the air force planes there to shoot it down if thought necessary)?

I wonder if real terrorists might ever behave in the way described?  Or if such an incident anywhere but on a plane would cause such a reaction?

I wonder if real terrorists might ever behave in the way described?  Or if such an incident anywhere but on a plane would cause such a reaction?

To the first point, causing a distraction is a good way to divert the attention of those on board should others wish to try and gain control of the aircraft. To the second point, probably not, but then the consequences of terrorist action on a plane has the potential to be more severe than on any other type of transport. As air travellers have had more than a decade to digest the mantra that any incident on a plane will be treated as terrorist related, you'd think most people would have got the message by now.  The knobs.

No.

Or perhaps yes given the amount of daft stuff in there.

I'm surprised Woolwich isn't in there yet - I've already seen stuff that the videos arouse suspicions of being shopped. I'm surprised we're not speculating the murderers were plants, or that the whole thing was a black flag operation to inspire an invasion of Greenwich, to secure a long term supply of Mean Time. 

• Like 1

No.

Or perhaps yes given the amount of daft stuff in there.

I'm surprised Woolwich isn't in there yet - I've already seen stuff that the videos arouse suspicions of being shopped. I'm surprised we're not speculating the murderers were plants, or that the whole thing was a black flag operation to inspire an invasion of Greenwich, to secure a long term supply of Mean Time. 

Yep, clear false flag operation, the murderers were undercover, which is precisely the reason why they were shot in the legs and not the head. 

Â