Stockholm Burning

maqroll

And you didn't answer my question...How should they solve the problem ? You have tried to talk with them and all you get back is a stone in the head..you seems to think it's a good idea just to stand their and look while these scum run havoc and cause damages for millions..should the police just go home and let them burn up the neighbourhood cause it's wrong to use violence to stop it ? plz explain how this situation could be stopped as fast as possible.

Sorry, I was answering the other part of what you asked.  I wasn't discussing the management of the riots.

Faced with a riot, the police have to contain it.  There are different ways of doing that.  Generally, I believe they find that it's better to do that without escalating the situation, because heavy-handed methods can be counterproductive.  If the police think they are expected to use maximum force and will be required to enforce continuing repression, like in (say) Bahrein, then shooting anyone in sight might be the way they go.  In societies like Sweden and the UK, where we tend to want policing by consent, the approach is to use as little force as possible.  Sometimes that might not go down too well with people who think that any riot should be met with tanks on the street and people being shot for breaking curfews.  I suppose it comes down to what sort of society you want to live in.

• Like 1

Â